Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Human-to-nature relationship is psychology

BANNED
    Registered
    Apr 2007

Human-to-nature relationship is psychology

The one discipline that, sad to say, has hitherto remained virtually untouched by any concern for the environment or the human-to-nature relationship is psychology. You will search in vain in the texts and journals of any of the major schools of psychology—clinical, behaviorist, cognitive, physiological, humanistic or transpersonal—for any theory or research concerning the most basic fact of human existence: the fact of our relationship to the natural world of which we are a part.
    Any thoughts on whether your relationship with nature is or should be a genuine concern?

It might be worth looking at Green Space and even getting in touch with them. They're a UK charity that raises awareness about public spces and parks. I've been to a few conferences where they speak and they referred to papers that gave how much green space people need access to in urban situations. Forex, being 5 minutes from a small park, half an hour from a larger one, etc. I don't remember specifics, but they might be able to point you in the direction of related psychology studies if there are any.

Personally, I grew up rurally (for the UK) and can't cope without seeing fields and animals regularly. I tried proper urban life for a couple of years and found myself "going spare". I was reliant on my feet and public transport so very rarely made it out of my concrete trap. Admittedly, I had other things going on at the same time, but I didn't feel as generally relaxed as I did or do now. I now live in the heart of a small country town. I'm surrounded by grey, but I can get to park/common grazing land in five minutes and am within half an hour's drive of the Lake District (a national park). Relaxing is easy, provided the dog doesn't start chasing sheep.

I think people's connection with their environment is a genuine concern. If people aren't comfortable, they don't "function" properly. I'm not saying that all stress is related to not looking at the countryside, but the UK economy is estimated to lose millions of pounds a year through stress related illnesses. Giving people a more relaxing and varied environment could only improve that. It is starting to be treated as such by the UK government organisations, but I'm not sure how much research is being done.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm currently reading Richard Louv's Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder which touches on this issue. I highly recommend this book.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    This thread appears to have been started by the OP just so an associate can follow up and promote their Web site. It's a classic case of guerrilla marketing. The OP claims to be located in the US, but has an IP in India, like the spammer whose followup post in this thread was recently deleted.

This month, outsourced forum spam from India started to become a serious problem on the Cyburbia Forums.

I'm keeping the thread open, because it seems like an interesting subject. Nonetheless, new users who make their first or second post in this thread, and reference certain ecopsychology groups and/or Web sites, will be banned immediately, and their post deleted.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Dec 2006, 9:08 PM
  2. Psychology of driving vs non
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Jul 2005, 1:56 PM
  3. Industrial psychology
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 15 Nov 2004, 12:09 PM