Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need help with research

Registered
    Apr 2007

Need help with research

hello, all - i am new to cyburbia, and i am in a bachelor's program (writing my own major; community planning through small business and the arts), preparing to get a master's in urban planning. i need to find some good resources to help me write the course outlines for my major: interviews with planners, books, trade pubs, etc. anyone have any recommendations? APA didn't give me much, nor did the city manager i interviewed last week. all help is appreciated...

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Moderator note:
    Welcome to Cyburbia. I moved your thread to the Student Lounge where it should get a better response. In the meantime, check out the Book Club forum for ideas about planning books, reading materials, etc.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I made an attempt at writing a paper on community planning and art as a catalyst for redevelopment. I moved to another topic after becoming frustrated with the amount of literature out there. So that means that you have a great gap to fill or some frustration ahead. I have found that the Journal of Urban Affairs is an excellent resource anytime I research a planning/economic development question.

Good luck.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Thanks - I will check it out. I am attempting to incorporate my original Art History major and my business experience into a BA and then move on to Planning. There is a lot of material out there, but it doesn't seem like many of the ideas have come to fruition. Agree?

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Allow me to introduce you to the coolest thing since Cyburbia:
    MIT Opencourse Ware:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Global/all...iesandPlanning

Most of the classes give you an outline and material or links to material related to that class. Very cool stuff.
    Hope it helps.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Thank you so much for that link - it is the coolest thing! I guess I know how I will be spending the rest of my day...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Doing some research on NY
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Dec 2011, 7:25 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Sep 2010, 8:17 PM
  3. research help
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:44 AM