Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Old suburbs and new suburbs

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007

Old suburbs and new suburbs

Why is it the old suburbs in Toronto the stores and factories are almost at the street and like no green space.

Well the new suburbs or new areas the stores and factories are more pulled back and more green space.

Quote Originally posted by nec209 View post
    Why is it the old suburbs in Toronto the stores and factories are almost at the street and like no green space.

Well the new suburbs or new areas the stores and factories are more pulled back and more green space.
    Along the lines of what I said in your other thread, I think this has much to do with the ascendancy of the auto. There's also the development of zoning regulations and building codes and things like the Garden City movement.

When most people traveled primarily by foot, density and minimizing travel distances was more important. After the auto became popular, more space was needed to accommodate cars and an extra 10-30 feet between the road and the building didn't really make a big difference. At about the same time, people were starting to envision idyllic cities that would blend the best of urban and rural and zoning regulations began to enforce a certain kind of development.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    At about the same time, people were starting to envision idyllic cities that would blend the best of urban and rural and zoning regulations began to enforce a certain kind of development.
    I will like more information on this.

But you right with a car it does not matter if its 30 feet from the store or 70 feet from the store.Well on foot you want every thing almost at the street and buildings almost touching.

So with car buildings more pulled back and more green does not matter.By Garden City movement I guss you are saying they are anti- density and more pulled pack and more green.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Damn that nature!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    But is that the reason why they plan the city like that?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Perfect suburbs?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 31 Oct 2011, 9:30 AM
  2. Problems with suburbs
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 21 Dec 2007, 3:02 PM
  3. The suburbs today
    Make No Small Plans