Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Typical housing and lot size mix in small communities

Registered
    Apr 2007

Typical housing and lot size mix in small communities

I am looking for research/stats/trends on the housing/lot size mix in small communities (12,500 and fewer). Ideally, the information would be presented in terms of x percent at two acres or greater, y percent at half acre to two acres, and z percent at half acre or smaller (the exact breakpoints are not important, just some finer grain of analysis than 1% multifamily and 99% SFH.

I realize there are factors that drive small town housing density, and lot size, so any insight as to what the strongest factors are would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    It does not better if your population is 20,000 or 800,000 it is supply and demand.In Toronto area there is big demand and low supply and one solution is small lots,homes almost touching,homes by the street,and use of a garage than long drive way like the 50's , 60's , 70's .

Why do you think they build up than side-ways

Registered
    Aug 2001
    From my work in several states, I can tell you some generalities that would begin with a statement that there is a good variation depending on which part of the country you are in, whether it is rural or urban, and the age of the community. The western states tend to have smaller lots than in the Midwest, which seems to have more space per dwelling. Older communities also tend to have smaller lots. Those developing after World War II have larger lots, but there has been a downsizing trend since the 1990's, as land and development costs began to rise. Urban areas tend to have smaller lots as well. Rural areas (many of which have at least partially relied on septic systems) have more space per house.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Promoting small retail store size
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Feb 2012, 1:13 PM
  2. The size of the typical "______" store
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Jan 2006, 4:14 PM
  3. Replies: 12