Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New stormwater ordinances versus compact design

Registered
    Apr 2007

New stormwater ordinances versus compact design

I am looking for examples of both great and nightmarish examples of where stormwater ordinances are being introduced that:

1) Mandate land consumptive or otherwise suburban-based practices (eg impervious cover limitations)

2) Create limitations on coordinated stormwater handling and treatment (eg each site must totally treat and infiltrate all stormwater when the better solution would be sub-basin or district wide)

3) Craft great alternative compliance for compact districts

4) Create city or county level stormwater plans and ordinances that merge smart growth and Low impact design or green design.

thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes....

Quote Originally posted by nisenson View post
    I am looking for examples of both great and nightmarish examples of where stormwater ordinances are being introduced that:

4) Create city or county level stormwater plans and ordinances that merge smart growth and Low impact design or green design.

thanks.
    This is something that I would love to see a best practices PAS report on.....or at least something......not that I need to worry about it at my current job, but I suspect urban planners would enjoy having some useful data.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Send me your address. I did write something for "Zoning Practice" late last year and have lots of re-prints.

Lisa

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    NY state does not permit regional stormwater utility districts. Our municipalities are just starting to adopt stormwater ordinances... I will try and post them next week.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jan 2005

Florida perspective

Quote Originally posted by nisenson View post

1) Mandate land consumptive or otherwise suburban-based practices (eg impervious cover limitations)

2) Create limitations on coordinated stormwater handling and treatment (eg each site must totally treat and infiltrate all stormwater when the better solution would be sub-basin or district wide)

3) Craft great alternative compliance for compact districts

thanks.
    From the perspective of planning in Florida, how much autonomy would the water management districts be willing to cede to local jurisdictions to accomplish these objectives? It seems to me that the regional water districts (at least SFWMD) have become the masters of drainage, good or bad. Certainly the approach you are suggesting would require local governments to become more assertive in stormwater planning, no?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Parking Compact car parking standards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 3:54 PM
  2. Rural compact
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Jun 2008, 10:49 PM
  3. Ordinances for better design?
    Design, Space, and Place