Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kentucky Derby

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I have never been to the Kentucky Derby nor do I follow horseracing, but will admit to being quite curious what the hoopla is all about surrounding the Derby. Sure it's a horse race, but that's over with in a matter of minutes - there's gotta more to the experience or people wouldn't flock to it from all over the world.
    Let me take a shot in the dark: you are not a gambler.

My grandfather was a jockey and the family would make frequent trips to the races at Saratoga Springs. It makes for quite a fun day. After all of the day's races, everyone moves into town for drinks and dinner.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Let me take a shot in the dark: you are not a gambler.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I have never been to the Kentucky Derby nor do I follow horseracing, but will admit to being quite curious what the hoopla is all about surrounding the Derby. Sure it's a horse race, but that's over with in a matter of minutes - there's gotta more to the experience or people wouldn't flock to it from all over the world.
    Yeah, I, too, am a little confused about the hoopla.

At least a NASCAR race lasts longer....insufferably long 2-3 hours, but one does get to see more of a race.

Maybe the derby can't go any longer becuase the horses can't handle a longer races, physically?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Yeah, I, too, am a little confused about the hoopla.

At least a NASCAR race lasts longer....insufferably long 2-3 hours, but one does get to see more of a race.

Maybe the derby can't go any longer becuase the horses can't handle a longer races, physically?
    The biggest reason why there are so few Triple Crown winners in Thoroughbred racing is that the Belmont Stakes is extremely long for a horse race. Horses that do well in shorter races (ie, the Kentucky Derby) wear out and fall off the pace late in the Belmont. Horses are not good long-distance travelers.

Mike

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    The biggest reason why there are so few Triple Crown winners in Thoroughbred racing is that the Belmont Stakes is extremely long for a horse race. Horses that do well in shorter races (ie, the Kentucky Derby) wear out and fall off the pace late in the Belmont. Horses are not good long-distance travelers.

Mike
    The Kentucky Derby is a 1-1/4 mile race -- it's known as the classic distance -- and it's the first time these three year olds have ever gone that distance (some may have raced 1-1/8). The Preakness is 1-3/16 while the Belmont is 1-1/2 miles. Distance is certainly a factor for some horses - those are sprinters and not bred for distance -- but I don't think that the distance is the key factor in why there haven't been more Triple Crown winners. Racing luck (or lack thereof) plays a huge role. Some horses just don't like certain surfaces (and they're all different surfaces). There's also fresh challengers in the later races: a Triple Crown winner has to run perfectly in three events in a short time (5 weeks), while his opponents could come in freshened up after a lay-off.

Even so, there have been 11 triple crown winners, just none since Affirmed in 1978.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Horses are in fact wonderful for going long distances, they just don't gallop for the entire distance. Every week there are horses out there going 100 miles in less than 24 hours. It is called endurance riding. I participate in this sport but can't compete in any rides greater than 50 miles until my horse is 5 years old. Most endurance rides are 50 or 100 miles in length and there is a time limit to complete the ride.

The sad thing about horse racing is that they are taking horses that are not even close to mature and pushing them very hard for our amusement. It takes 5 years for a horse's skeleton to finish maturing. Their knees are not closed until they are 2.5-3 years old. These horses are pushed into training at a year and a half old. This is why many of them end up breaking down. I guess the main reason things are done this way is that it costs too much money to wait until the horse is actually mature to see if it will be a champion.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by graciela View post
    Horses are in fact wonderful for going long distances, they just don't gallop for the entire distance. Every week there are horses out there going 100 miles in less than 24 hours. It is called endurance riding. I participate in this sport but can't compete in any rides greater than 50 miles until my horse is 5 years old. Most endurance rides are 50 or 100 miles in length and there is a time limit to complete the ride.
    There was even a movie out not too long ago about a famous endurance racer 'Hidalgo' (starring Viggo Mortenson of LOTR fame), but I think mgk meant horses can't gallop for long distances.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2007
    I forgot about Hidalgo. I wish endurance riding was that exciting!

I think we might have gotten some new riders from that movie - for a while it was billed as being based on a true story. Thankfully, that was set straight.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I forgot about Hidalgo. I wish endurance riding was that exciting!

I think we might have gotten some new riders from that movie - for a while it was billed as being based on a true story. Thankfully, that was set straight.
    No, I don't believe you, it was all true. What do you know? Endurance riding is all about eating locusts, and shootouts with scimitar-flailing bedoiuns, you can't convince me otherwise!

On a completely unrelated note, I am considering pursuing a career in the field of archaeology. Which do you think would be a more pragmatic vocational skill to develop - bullwhip training, hand to hand combat, or pistol marksmanship? The local university doesn't seem to offer many courses in any of the three as part of their anthropology degree programs. Maybe they're graduate level studies?

Registered
    Jan 2007
    The bullwhip thing is pretty cool, less people have that skill. Plus, it works well in the office.

Hmmmm, I did swallow a bug by accident at my last ride. Does that put me up there with the mighty Frank Hopkins???

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The bullwhip thing is pretty cool, less people have that skill. Plus, it works well in the office.

Hmmmm, I did swallow a bug by accident at my last ride. Does that put me up there with the mighty Frank Hopkins???

That settles it. I've decided to sign up for a bullwhip course ASAP. Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    On a completely unrelated note, I am considering pursuing a career in the field of archaeology. Which do you think would be a more pragmatic vocational skill to develop - bullwhip training, hand to hand combat, or pistol marksmanship? The local university doesn't seem to offer many courses in any of the three as part of their anthropology degree programs. Maybe they're graduate level studies?
    I agree that the bullwhip training would be the coolest skill to learn. Second would be pistol marksmanship while wearing skipping shorts and a tank top. Hand-to-hand ranks third - I mean, who needs it?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    That settles it. I've decided to sign up for a bullwhip course ASAP.
    Off-topic:
    SAW -
    Is that registered for AICP Approved Continuing Education Credits ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Can we post you tube links on here? I just discovered the most bizarre racehorse training device ever. It is an advertisement for it - looks like an lame roller coaster for horses or something.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Can we post you tube links on here? I just discovered the most bizarre racehorse training device ever. It is an advertisement for it - looks like an lame roller coaster for horses or something.
    You certainly may.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Ok, thanks.

This screams "I have more money than sense"

I guess if you have multimillion dollar racehorses it is worth it??? It just looks bizarre to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBkfwgF8UcM

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Derby is always on the radar here, so the C-J sports section is regularly publishing something about the Derby -- the up-and-coming two-year olds, hot trainers, etc. In late January the C-J publishes the name and connections of every three-year old nominated to the Triple Crown (300-400 horses or so, typically). After that, Derby becomes much more frequent in the paper until early April, when it fairly consumes the region.
    Bump

So..... the Derby is still months away. Just making a reality check - has the buzz already begun? Are there any articles in the paper today about the upcoming Derby?

Sure enough! Sunday's C-J had the listing of the "Top 50" 3YO Thoroughbreds, broken down by region, complete with Dosage and Dual Qualifier status.

News that Barbaro's connections had decided to inter his ashes at Churchill was front page news earlier this week.

The kick-off to the Derby Festival --Thunder Over Louisville -- will be a week earlier than usual because of Passover. We've already ordered tix to a riverfront restaurant for killer viewing of the best fireworks show in America.

Here's a link to the C-J's Derby section:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...egory=SPORTS08
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Horse racing rules! Nothing like getting dressed up all nice to go to the track only to get ridiculously plastered and puke all over your nice clothes.

Registered
    Aug 2001

And it was Decidedly in '62!

I was born on Derby day, the story goes that my Dad dropped off Mom in labor at the hospital. His last words were "hurry it up the Kentucky Derby is about to start" That got Mom all sorts of sympathetic nurse rallying around her. Dad was joking but it was his fourth "foal" about to be born and it was a Saturday he had stuff to do!

Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    I was born on Derby day, the story goes that my Dad dropped off Mom in labor at the hospital. His last words were "hurry it up the Kentucky Derby is about to start" That got Mom all sorts of sympathetic nurse rallying around her. Dad was joking but it was his fourth "foal" about to be born and it was a Saturday he had stuff to do!
    I hope your dad got money down on 1962 winner "Decidedly", ridden by famed jockey Billy Hartack who beat 14 other 3YOs to run the first sub 2:01 race (2:00 2/5) over a fast track to pay $8.70-1.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I hope your dad got money down on 1962 winner "Decidedly", ridden by famed jockey Billy Hartack who beat 14 other 3YOs to run the first sub 2:01 race (2:00 2/5) over a fast track to pay $8.70-1.
    How long did it take you to Google that? Or can one walk up to any random resident of Louisville and get the individual stats/odds/rundown of any Derbys run since 1948?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Bump.
    Derby Check.

I assume by mid-April the Derby is front page news every day in L-ville?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Bump.
    Derby Check.

I assume by mid-April the Derby is front page news every day in L-ville?
    Check out the Louisville Courier-Journal website: http://www.courier-journal.com/
    In the green banner at the bottom of the home page -
    May 2 countdown
    Kentucky Derby
    Horses, hats and
    which links you to this page: http://www.courier-journal.com/kentucky-derby-fun
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I went once; but have had/attended many Derby parties. Burgoo and juleps--doesn't get any better. My gg-uncle had horses in the Derby twice: came and last and next to last.

Decidedly, that was a good looking horse.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Roller derby
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 13 Nov 2012, 2:25 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Jun 2009, 1:06 AM
  3. Kentucky Will Win NCAA Championship
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26