Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Kentucky Derby

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Speaking of the Derby, winners Alysheba (1987) and Lil E Tee (1992) both died within the past month (maybe I should have posted this to the Death Pool Update thread, instead).

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...=ESPNHeadlines

The oldest living Kentucky Derby winner is now Strike the Gold (1991).

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Speaking of the Derby, winners Alysheba (1987) and Lil E Tee (1992) both died within the past month (maybe I should have posted this to the Death Pool Update thread, instead).
    we did some work for a glue factory here in town. i was on site the week they finally put barbaro down. i wanted nothing more than to ask the plant employee that was showing me around where their stables were...

more on topic - i cant quite get excited for derby this year. i dont know why... maybe i just havent had enough lunches on patios yet.

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    The oldest living Kentucky Derby winner is now Strike the Gold (1991).

Mike
    Lil E. Tee was my first Derby win. We were at the track on a perfectly gorgeous day and shortly before the race decided to cruise past the notorious third turn where the rowdies hang out. One of our party was struck by a large, flying ... potato salad and he insisted we leave the track entirely. So, as we worked our way through the throng I watched my first Derby on a closed-circuit monitor near the paddock.

[BUMP]

Yesterday was Thunder Over Louisville, the kick-off to the Kentucky Derby Festival. The weather was fantastic, with highs in the upper 70s before merciful high clouds blocked the sun. The crowd was estimated at 700,000 for the airshow and largest annual fireworks in the world.

Here are a couple of photos I shot from the air show and fireworks:

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nice shots. Did you take those from KY or IN?

We were in Jeffersonville, Indiana on the north shore of the Ohio. Downtown Louisville is visible beyond the George Rogers Clark Memorial Bridge in the fireworks photo (Second Street Bridge to you, cellophane)

One more fireworks photo:

Today is the Boat Race, but Delta Queen has been sidelined because of a union-busting owner and a US Senator that refused to allow Coast Guard re-authorization to allow her to cruise. here's a picture of National Historic Landmark Belle of Louisville passing the Louisville Water Tower at last year's race.

Here's link to the official Derby website, focusing on General Quarters probably Louisville's sentimental favorite: his trainer is a former local school principal who is 75 and has just this one horse in his stable.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    [BUMP]
    The crowd was estimated at 700,000 for the airshow and largest annual fireworks in the world.
    unless its changed since i saw the stats thunder is the largest annual show in the us, the montreal fireworks show is the largest annual in the world minor detail though.

We were in Jeffersonville, Indiana on the north shore of the Ohio. Downtown Louisville is visible beyond the George Rogers Clark Memorial Bridge in the fireworks photo (Second Street Bridge to you, cellophane)
    eh. they all look the same to me... im just hoping the 8664 thing ends up making the grade and they get rid of that mell of a hess interstate jumble downtown. i just went to the falls of the ohio for the first time ever a few weeks ago. i was excited to take sunset pictures of downtown and i realized i left my camera batteries at home

Registered
    Feb 2004
    One more fireworks photo:

What mosque does that minaret on the left belong to?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003

$1000 Mint Julip

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2009/ne...ucky-derby-135

if you really wnat to enjoy the Derby, you must be sipping on one of these.

[note: I have never, nor would I ever. just ot be clear. what a waste!]
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    That is not minaret of a Mosque but the Louisville Water Tower.
    Off-topic:
    Yeah, but you must admit that does kinda look more like something you'd see in Syria than Kentucky.

On an entirely different topic, what was it about the 1970's that we had not one, but THREE Triple Crown winners? (Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    huh. learn something new every day...

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    On an entirely different topic, what was it about the 1970's that we had not one, but THREE Triple Crown winners? (Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed)
    Don't forget Alydar, the only horse to finish second in all three Triple Crown races (versus Affirmed). From the 1978 Derby chart:

AFFIRMED away alertly but held in reserve for six furlongs, moved up boldly along outside thereafter to take command on the second turn, relinquished the lead momentarily a quarter mile out but responded to a rousing ride to regain command in upper stretch and was fully extended to hold ALYDAR safe. The latter, under snug restraint early, commenced to advance from the outside after six furlongs, continued wide in the stretch, swerved to bump with BELIEVE IT in the closing sixteenth and finished strongly when straightened.
    Off-topic:
    A well-written racing chart is a thing of beauty.

While the '70s did produce three great horses, the real Golden Era for thoroughbred racing was the late '30s through the '40s, with FIVE Triple Crown winners:

’37 War Admiral
    ‘41 Whirlaway
    ’43 Count Fleet
    ’46 Assault
    ’48 Citation

A lot of people these days lay the lack of recent TC winners to breeding for speed and not stamina. I tend to agree: the tragedy of Eight Belles last year can be seen in her breeding, with a line known to be highly susceptible to leg problems. Affirmed (9) and Alydar (10) raced a combined 19 times at two-years old. These days, some horses may run only once or twice as a TYO. It is I think, in large part, because they are so brittle.
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't forget Alydar, the only horse to finish second in all three Triple Crown races (versus Affirmed). From the 1978 Derby chart:

Off-topic:
    A well-written racing chart is a thing of beauty.

While the '70s did produce three great horses, the real Golden Era for thoroughbred racing was the late '30s through the '40s, with FIVE Triple Crown winners:

’37 War Admiral
    ‘41 Whirlaway
    ’43 Count Fleet
    ’46 Assault
    ’48 Citation

A lot of people these days lay the lack of recent TC winners to breeding for speed and not stamina. I tend to agree: the tragedy of Eight Belles last year can be seen in her breeding, with a line known to be highly susceptible to leg problems. Affirmed (9) and Alydar (10) raced a combined 19 times at two-years old. These days, some horses may run only once or twice as a TYO. It is I think, in large part, because they are so brittle.
    And further, after their 3YO season, they also had more years to go in their racing careers back then. Case in point - the great Seabiscuit-War Admiral rivalry that blossomed AFTER War Admiral's Triple Crown win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVT2MPNCqgM

Nowadays they usually go straight to the breeding farm after their 3YO season.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2009
    there is an obscene amount of money involved with raising and breeding racing horses - and i'm not even talking about the basics like land, food and shelter...

stud fees on a derby winner range in the one to five million range per shot. if you had a horse that you could stud out at those rates for the next 10 years - why would you risk an injury on the track?

Not exactly sure where you got your numbers, cello, but a quick google search shows Curlin's stud fee at $75.000 and Big Brown's at $65.000. Perhaps when their progeny start winning graded stakes the figures will go up, but $1-5m is something I'm not familiar with. Prices for yearlings? Yes. Stud fees, no.
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Not exactly sure where you got your numbers, cello, but a quick google search shows Curlin's stud fee at $75.000 and Big Brown's at $65.000. Perhaps when their progeny start winning graded stakes the figures will go up, but $1-5m is something I'm not familiar with. Prices for yearlings? Yes. Stud fees, no.
    i was lied to!! either way - that is a lot of money for not much effort

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by cellophane View post
    a lot of money for not much effort
    Heck, (concerning stud services) I heard they don't even let the horses 'do the deal' the way nature intended by themselves! They have elaborate harnesses and winches and such to move/manipulate the horses around so there's no danger of anyone's investment getting kicked or hurt or otherwise endangered.

So, it's off to the Kentucky Oaks today -- "Louisville's Day at the Track" -- and my chance to place my Derby bets. Weather looks iffy today and a sloppy track likely for tomorrow. I'll be betting the mudders, for sure. Last year, Oaks day was wet, wet, wet. By the time I got home, I was perfectly soaked. Not fun.

Tomorrow, I'll go out on a limb and post the chart for the Derby, before the race is run. That should be good for a laugh.
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2009
    So, it's off to the Kentucky Oaks today -- "Louisville's Day at the Track" -- and my chance to place my Derby bets. Weather looks iffy today and a sloppy track likely for tomorrow. I'll be betting the mudders, for sure. Last year, Oaks day was wet, wet, wet. By the time I got home, I was perfectly soaked. Not fun.

Tomorrow, I'll go out on a limb and post the chart for the Derby, before the race is run. That should be good for a laugh.
    *grumble* im stuck at work and not at the track... along with the rest of the office.

i think we will start a regular happy hour at the track next week though.

Some quick thoughts about the Oaks. WOW! Rachel Alexandra is the best three-year old in training bar none, with a stunning 20-1/4 length win. Most impressive race I’ve ever seen. Indeed, going off at 1-5 odds, the real race was for place, though I won show money The weather held off, literally until we crossed the Ohio on our way home, when it was a complete downpour. The crowd was announced at 104,000 and there were some fine fillies in the infield. We had a group of 11, a tent, chairs and a table, right at the start of the backstretch. Twelve ounce draft premium beers were $7 and the de rigeur Mint Juleps (in souvenir glasses) $9. For the first time ever, I got comped a beer at Churchill. Burgers (really good burgers, at that) were a reasonable $7.

So, on to the Derby. I had expected rain all day today, and while the high is only going to be ~60F, the track will likely be rated Fast by race time. (The track was packed last night to keep water near the surface, and it’s sloppy now, but it dries quickly.) Anybody calling their bookie to place a bet on the following should know they are either an idiot or a fool. (Or both.)

135th Kentucky Derby
    2009 – Friesan Fire

Race Summary
    :23.25, :47.04, 1:11.75, 1:36.70, 2:01.20.
    Winner - Bc., by A.P. Indy – Bollinger (AUS), by Dehere, Trained by J. Larry Jones Bred by Fox Hill Farms (LA)
    $2 Mutuels paid – Friesan Fire $9.80 win, $6.60 place, $3.10 show;
    Papa Clem, $14.60 place, $9.40 show;
    Musket Man, $16.40 show.
    Time of race: 6:26 p.m. Track Fast. Start good for all but HOLD ME BACK. Won driving.

FRIESAN FIRE came away in good order to gain the lead, edged in to race in the three path, went along under careful handling, then drew off in the final furlong under energetic hand urging with the rider flashing his whip on the right side. PAPA CLEM lightly bumped at the start by MINE THAT BIRD, moved up soon after to race in closest attendance to FRIESAN FIRE four wide, loomed a strong threat outside that one when straightened into the stretch, then wasn't a match in the final furlong while gamely saving second. MUSKET MAN, in hand from the outset while closer than usual along the inside, remained inside while tracking FRIESAN FIRE, was checked for several strides when lacking room in behind that one at the three-sixteenths pole, altered course outside the winner, then came up empty in the final furlong. DUNKIRK bobbled at the start and was bumped by ATOMIC RAIN when that one came out, worked his way forward between rivals four or five wide on the backstretch and around the second turn, swung out seven or eight wide entering the upper stretch, bumped with PIONEEROF THE NILE leaving the three-sixteenths pole and was finished. PIONEEROF THE NILE, forwardly placed in hand while four wide, was asked for his best approaching the final quarter, remained in behind the leaders and failed to respond. GENERAL QUARTERS worked his way nicely toward the inside to race six or seven wide during the opening quarter, raced under light restraint while continuing seven wide on the backstretch, edged in nearing the far turn, remained prominent into the upper stretch and flattened out. MINE THAT BIRD bumped lightly with PAPA CLEM at the start, followed the leaders within easy striking distance while five or six wide, edged closer nearing the end of the backstretch, then came up empty. REGAL RANSOM, well placed along the inside from the start, raced in hand to the second turn while within striking distance saving ground, continued inside into the stretch but came up empty when asked. ATOMIC RAIN came out bumping DUNKIRK at the start, dropped in behind horses to be three or four wide, made a mild run from between foes near the inside approaching the stretch, swung out for the drive, was bumped by PIONEEROF THE NILE and forced out for a stride, then failed to continue. ADVICE failed to reach contention despite saving ground. CHOCOLATE CANDY, worked his way inward to be forwardly placed five wide early, continued off the inside and weakened in the drive. MINE THAT BIRD never was a factor while between foes much of the way. WEST SIDE BERNIE leaned in bumping MR. HOT STUFF at the start, raced nine or 10 wide early, moved in a bit on the first turn but never reached contention. FLYING PRIVATE, within striking distance while between horses to the end of the backstretch, gradually weakened. DESERT PARTY, near the inside while outrun from the start, eased out eight or nine wide on the backstretch, continued wide and passed only tired rivals. NOWHERE TO HIDE never was close. SUMMER BIRD was outrun. MR. HOT STUFF, forwardly placed along the inside to the far turn, gave way thereafter. HOLD ME BACK, jumped leaving the gate and was never a factor. I WANT REVENGE scratched in the morning. All horses outside I WANT REVENGE’s 13 post were moved one post inside and the 20 hole left empty.
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So what fun is on tap this year? Do the locals have any big plans? Should we all bet on Painful Rectal Itch to place this year? How 'bout them horsies?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The Louisville Courier-Journal has been printing a full page photo of different winners daily.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

I really, really like Jackson Bend but wonder whether his $230k in graded stakes earnings can get him in the field (he's 22nd currently and only 20 start). Natski, do you like him?

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Roller derby
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 13 Nov 2012, 1:25 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Jun 2009, 12:06 AM
  3. Kentucky Will Win NCAA Championship
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26