Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Stockholm Subway

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006

Stockholm Subway

Hi!

Not sure if there's a more appropriate place to start this thread, but I found a link to a set of pictures taken from the subway system in Stockholm.

http://ueba.net/hosted_pages/Stockholm-Subway-20070214

According to the post, some of the stations are carved from rock and were left with cave-like ceilings. I'm curious what some of the professionals in Cyburbia think about the design, set up, implied construction and operation costs, or just general impressions. Does anyone think something like this is feasible in the States? Are there any other really cool subway systems out there?

Quote Originally posted by Scotch View post
    Hi!

Not sure if there's a more appropriate place to start this thread, but I found a link to a set of pictures taken from the subway system in Stockholm.

http://ueba.net/hosted_pages/Stockholm-Subway-20070214

According to the post, some of the stations are carved from rock and were left with cave-like ceilings. I'm curious what some of the professionals in Cyburbia think about the design, set up, implied construction and operation costs, or just general impressions. Does anyone think something like this is feasible in the States? Are there any other really cool subway systems out there?
    I'm not an expert myself.

The Stockholm subway is very cool (more photos here). The "cave" look in many of the stations works because they had to excavate through the bedrock anyway. Leaving it exposed was probably cheaper than adding finishing.

So as for being feasible in the states... it would depend on the geography of the particular area where the station was being built, and what techniques were being used. If the area was such that you had to dig through bedrock anyway, than doing something like that would be cool. But tunneling is expensive and this wouldn't really work in places like New York, where the subways are mostly built using cut-and-cover techniques (there's just dirt on the other side of the wall).

Stockholm also dedicated a lot of money to funding the art you see everywhere (.5% of construction costs). Not a lot of transit agencies in America have extra money floating around, but art still can and is put in American train stations. (New York, for example)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The design of each of Montreal's subway stations is artistic -- each one looks different, and they include public art.

Detroit's People Mover, although not a subway has some interesting art in each of its stations too.

Here's a page from the same site referenced by brandonmason looking at art in a variety of different subway systems.
    http://www.mic-ro.com/metro/metroart.html

I wish the attitude wasn't "this is being built using taxpayers money so we have to cheap out on everything" and more along the lines of "this is something a lot of people are going to use and see, so it should be enjoyable". I don't think we need to have every station a Grand Central Station-type edifice or Gehry-esque freakshow, but little touches like public art can make standard-issue public places nicer. If the design respects the people using it, they'll value it and have some affection for it.

Sheesh, I'm sounding like Oscar Newman here...

It has a bit of a sci-fi feel to it, I think. The meshing of the 21st century technology and the billions of years old rock... Makes me think of some exotic planet on "Star Trek" or something. Pretty cool.

I think it's also a nice way to give people a real sense of place. It's so much more than just a "glorified basement." You really know that you're underground when you're in this subway. I also love the art. I'm sure it helps make each station very unique, as well as warms it up quite a bit.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Kugsträdgården & Hallonbergen are my favorites, even though I rarely use either. Solna Centrum is also neat. I live at a boring station (Gärdet), and before that, I lived at another boring station (Bergshamra.) The station at Tekniska Högskolan is a little more interesting. I think the station at Universitetet was desgined specifically to pacify the large crowds of students waiting in between the trains (the entire UN Human Rights Declaration is on the wall, made up of individual single-letter tiles.)

Note on Kungsträdgården: this station is the centerpiece of the subway art... it's borderline excessive. The lights in Trädgår'n are also dimmer than other stations (from my judgement) for effect. From a safety perspective, that's bad; however, there are not a lot of people to keep safe.... Trädgår'n has the nickname "slöseri mitt i stan", which means either "extravagence in the middle of the city" or "waste of money in the middle of the city" because it is VERY underutilized.

For pictures (some of) the art in every station, you can look here: http://www.sl.se/templates/ArtGuide.aspx?id=4176. Unfortunately, the descriptions are all in Swedish. Pick the line (Blue, Red, Green) from the first menu, then the station name from the second.

Also, most of the underground green line stations are cut and cover (Baggis and Skarpnäck are the only deep-rock green line stations), yet they have a fair bit of art. It's normally just tile instead of shotcrete on rock (there is no bare rock, though some stations may look so.)

The 'cavernous' feel is pretty unlikely in the US since most American contractors prefer TBMs for deep rock (i.e. Washington Park on Portland MAX, Lindbergh Terminal in Minneapolis), while Sweden's primary tunnel construction method is still drill-and-blast.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Oh my word, that is funky! I may be really really sad and drag my girlfriend for a nice weekend in Stokholm and then spend all day on the metro :P

Eurovision song contest is there on Sat, so it will get a lot of exposure to people from across the EU.

     
    Registered
    May 2007
    oh my gosh! I've admired the Stockholm Subway system for the longest. wow. they really have a nice set up there like traveling within a museum! I first heard about their system around five years ago and I've marveled at the creativity that has gone into their system.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by b3nr View post
    Oh my word, that is funky! I may be really really sad and drag my girlfriend for a nice weekend in Stokholm and then spend all day on the metro :P

Eurovision song contest is there on Sat, so it will get a lot of exposure to people from across the EU.
    ummm, Eurovision was in Helsinki. Mistaking capitals can be a fatal mistake if made among Scandinavians.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007

as a regular user...

One detail I like in some of Stockholm's subway stations is the North Arrow tiled into the floor. It really does help with orientation.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by njm View post
    ummm, Eurovision was in Helsinki. Mistaking capitals can be a fatal mistake if made among Scandinavians.
    Oh my goodness, your right of course.

The subway has evolved over recent decades from being a mere means of transportion to become a place of art and fine architecture.

check out the link below where you can see interesting subway stations in cities round the world. Read it you will certainly enjoy the images and informations included.

http://mic-ro.com/metro/metroart.html

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Noniraptha View post
    check out the link below ...

http://mic-ro.com/metro/metroart.html
    Oh man, there went my morning.

Looks like they saved a lot of money leaving it unfinished. The shape reminds me of the Washington, DC Metro, with long escalators and arches.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    It's funny. I was in Stockholm for 3 months and only took the T once -- when it was cold and I was feeling lazy on my way to work -- so I never got to appreciate the subway system. Now, looking at the pictures, I'm sad I missed it. But I did receive a gift from my coworkers when I left the city -- and it was painted by an artist who did some of the subway art. They said when I came back, they would buy me another piece. (why don't I work for that company anymore again??)
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 4:09 PM
  2. Subway directory
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Jun 2005, 10:57 PM
  3. subway fares?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Jan 2003, 2:38 AM