Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning school

Registered
    May 2007

Planning school

Hey

I am student in India and have got through the following Urban Planning programs in the following schools for the fall of 2007

Upenn
    U f Michigan
    Ohio State Univ.
    Pratt SChool, NY
    Arizona State Univ.
    Univ. Of Cincinnati

However, I have zeroed on OSU becoz of the most generous offer for financial aid. Though Upenn and U of Mich are higher in ranking but extremly expensive and offer negligible financial support in future as well.

Please advice if I have made the right choice. How does OSU stand in terms of its program? IS columbus the place to be in after completion of the course?

It has been extremly difficult to give up on an IVY league....I am really confused....It has been more dependent on fiancial aid offers since I am an international studnmt with limited funds.
    Last edited by nwahi; 04 May 2007 at 1:13 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    What do you want to do as a planner after you graduate?

Registered
    May 2007
    I have an undergrad degree in architecture.However I would like to work towards International planning(developing countries)....I ultimately want to pursue an MBA and get into consultancy after working for a few years.
    I dont know how tough it is to get into Public organisations like U.N etc. and pursue this work but I would be looking at it.

Please Guide

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    If you are interested in international planning, my alma mater, university of illinois at urbana-champaign, might be another alternative, and they have plenty of students and faculty from abroad (China, India, Japan, Korea, Pakistan, etc.). They also have financial packages available. They are also one of the few planning schools in the country that have ACSP accrediation at the bachelors, masters, and doctoral level. They are also known for social justice, community development, and economic development (still wish they were more design-heavy, oh well).

www.urban.uiuc.edu

Registered
    May 2007
    I did apply fr UIUC....dint get thru....however...if u have any idea about d scools above please let me know

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    today i defended my thesis at the university of cincinnati. in June I'll be graduating with my urban planning degree from UC. we're a good school. if you are primarily interested in design, OSU might be a better choice, though our faculty resources, particularly in architecture, are outstanding. we have an international development specialization and there is a strong international presence in the school. we have a peace corps fellows program and maybe 30% of each class is from outside of the United States. we're not perfect, but are a well-respected program. let me know if i can give you any more specific info.

hope this helped

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

International planning has to be the most competitive arena in "planning." Go to the most expensive and prestigious school you can get into.....take out massive loans to graduate then don't stop there....get a PhD! My impression of international planning, at least with foreign governments.....is that you better be able to compete with the ivy league types....or forget about it...... It also seems to me that USAID and similar government funded development agencies in the UK, Canada, Norway and the like....pretty much require a PhD nowdays..... If they don't require it, the competition will demand that you have one.....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    May 2007
    Thanks For the guidance.
    right now my financial scene seems pretty bleak...Hence I have to accept Ohio. Also, its nt a bad scool. I am thinking...I shud get my M.S from Ohio and get a Phd. from An ivy league. Or else...I was planning to get into a good Bschool after M.S and work ex.

Would that make my chances betr. Yes I am intersted in working with the USAID and similar organisations...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I went to a bobo state school and now make tons more money than the people who have their ivy league degrees.

Go whereever is affordable.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    yes, OSU is a good planning school. Planetizen put it in their top 25 programs in the country. If they are offering a good financial package where others aren't, go for it!

Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    I went to a bobo state school and now make tons more money than the people who have their ivy league degrees.

Go whereever is affordable.
    I agree with the conclusion (though not the reasoning. if planners were after money, we'd go into pharmaceutical sales)
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 04 May 2007 at 3:57 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    May 2007
    Thanks everyone. Its a relief talking to people in the same field and recieving guidance. Ranking and all can be misleading.
    Ohio it is i think

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    For what it's worth... ASU and its surrounding community (Tempe) has a large Indian population. If you are the type that hasn't been abroad much, this might be a big help... but then again maybe not

Registered
    Jan 2005
    OSU is a good school. Burkhard Von Rabeau is a great asset for International Planning. His development work in foreign countries is something that most professors cannot bring to the table. As for the funding.... I highly doubt you will get what OSU is offering you. Unless you have it in writing; an internship and tuition waiver is not guaranteed.

Good luck picking schools. Ball State has Nehal Perera, who should be back from his Fulbright work in Sri Lanka by next year, so that could be an option. Not sure about funding there though.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 May 2015, 9:13 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Dec 2011, 5:08 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 01 Aug 2005, 5:25 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Mar 2005, 5:45 PM
  5. Law School & Planning
    Student Commons