Sometimes we are asked to respond to scenarios such as: 'If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have one tool what would it be?' or 'what one book would you choose if you were stranded on an island?' Basically, the point of the exercise is to create a premise to make an evaluation/statement about something and the concept of the island serves to isolate and remove other factors from consideration so as to simplify that judgement.
This thread is yet another opportunity to respond to those sorts of scenarios. Here are the conditions that apply to our hypothetical 'island':
- you are picked up by a UFO and deposited on an island on an earth-like planet in another dimension. No other humans or other advanced sentient beings exist (unless it's a 'special condition' as noted below) on this planet.
- you know in advance that you will be left/stranded there for exactly 20 years to the day. You will not be rescued. After completing your 20 year 'sentence' you will be returned to the same place you were abducted.
- the climate on this island is temperate (in fact the weather seems disturbingly similar to that found in Louisville, Kentucky) and the soils are rich. There is abundant plant and animal life.
- the island is about eight square miles in area and is partially wooded. There are a few rolling hills but otherwise the topography is fairly flat
Given those conditions (and we may need to add a few but let's see how it goes), what would be your answer to the following:
- if there was only one book on the island what would you want it to be?
- if there was a DVD player and only one disc on the island what would you want that disc to be?
- if you had to be stranded with one celebrity for those 20 years who would it be?
Those are just 3 starter questions, but also feel free to pose your own questions/categories for others to respond to.