Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranded on an Island Thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

Stranded on an Island Thread

Sometimes we are asked to respond to scenarios such as: 'If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have one tool what would it be?' or 'what one book would you choose if you were stranded on an island?' Basically, the point of the exercise is to create a premise to make an evaluation/statement about something and the concept of the island serves to isolate and remove other factors from consideration so as to simplify that judgement.

This thread is yet another opportunity to respond to those sorts of scenarios. Here are the conditions that apply to our hypothetical 'island':
    - you are picked up by a UFO and deposited on an island on an earth-like planet in another dimension. No other humans or other advanced sentient beings exist (unless it's a 'special condition' as noted below) on this planet.
    - you know in advance that you will be left/stranded there for exactly 20 years to the day. You will not be rescued. After completing your 20 year 'sentence' you will be returned to the same place you were abducted.
    - the climate on this island is temperate (in fact the weather seems disturbingly similar to that found in Louisville, Kentucky) and the soils are rich. There is abundant plant and animal life.
    - the island is about eight square miles in area and is partially wooded. There are a few rolling hills but otherwise the topography is fairly flat

Given those conditions (and we may need to add a few but let's see how it goes), what would be your answer to the following:
    - if there was only one book on the island what would you want it to be?
    - if there was a DVD player and only one disc on the island what would you want that disc to be?
    - if you had to be stranded with one celebrity for those 20 years who would it be?

Those are just 3 starter questions, but also feel free to pose your own questions/categories for others to respond to.
    Last edited by Maister; 27 Apr 2007 at 12:18 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    am i on a deserted island or a island desert? or a deserted desert island.

book? the Tao of Pooh of course!

"What's that?" the Unbeliever asked.
    "Wisdom from the Western Taoist,"I said.
    "It sounds like something from Winnie-the-Pooh ," he said.
    "It is," I said.
    "That's not about Taoism," he said.
    "Oh, yes it is," I said."
    pick one celebrity? oh! you slay me! Dead or Alive?

mmmm, Kendra from GND? no, it'd have to be Russell Crowe.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    One book - my copy of the complete short stories of Mark Twain

One DVD - "Destry Rides Again." I never seem to get tired of seeing that movie.

One celebrity - Anne Hathaway, because I can't watch "Destry" 24/7!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Book: Rand McNally Road Atlas...I never get sick of that thing
    DVD: Aerosmith - Big Ones You Can Look At (since I like music and music videos more than movies anyway)
    Celebrity: Amanda Bynes

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Oh this should be fun...

DVD... it would have to be something truly epic with an amazing story line, blood, guts, and can be used to stay motivated to not go crazy... Fight Club maybe?

Book... Only one? I guess I would have to go with the Bible... (It would take a lot longer than 20 years to understand the whole thing)

Celebrity... Jessica Alba (need I say more?)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Book:Something long, that I wouldn't have the time to stick with in my regular busy life. How about War and Peace.
    DVD: Its a Wonderful Life (I never tire of that movie)
    Celebrity: Harrison Ford (easy on the eyes, down to earth rugged man, and he was a carpenter in his pre-celebrity life )

Registered
    Jun 2003
    My wife asked me this earlier this week. I pissed her off when I said I wouldn't bring a thing. No CD's, no DVD's, no books...ok maybe the Guide Wilderness Survival....but nothing else really. I wouldn't want to get 'burned' out on what ever it was I brought, y'know? She thought it was a conversation killer, but it really wasn't, I just wouldn't want to be limited in anyway to one thing or another.

Now the celebrity to be stranded with....do I go for eye candy, or the resourcefulness factor?

Eye candy: Jessica Biel
    Resourceful: Ted Nugent - dude can hunt like a mo-fo. He'd probably kill me for my liberal tendencies though...
    You're more boring than you know.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Let's see... Book: The origin of species by Charles Darwin... you can't go wrong with that!
    DVD: This one is harder... maybe The root of all evil? of Richard Dawkins...
    Celeb: Evangeline Lilly can join me in my Lost island...

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Book: A wilderness survival guide
    DVD: Same as book
    Celeb:Anyone one of the babes on the home repair shows.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Book: Volume T of the encyclopedia - i bet that would be a long, interesting read.

Movie: Moulin Rouge - despite having watched it dozens of time already, i don't know that i would ever get tired of singing along

Celebrity - I have a weird thing for Conan O'Brien - but I can't imagine he'd be very useful on a desert island... hmm... this bears further thought. Maybe Josh Krasinski from The Office?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Y'all are a practical lot! How come no one has answered
    Book: "The 1979 McDonald's Co. Employee Training Guide"
    Movie: "Glitter" or maybe ("Battlefield Earth")
    Celebrity: Gilbert Godfrey
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    It occurred to me, that if we have this DVD to choose, on this island we must have electricity. So am I right in assuming I am also going to have a nice little shack with lights, possibly a stove, pots, pans, utensils and plates, etc. and hopefully a comfy bed (so Ms. Hathaway will have a place to rest her tired bones at the end of the day)? Can I have a 20 year supply of shampoos and conditioners, because her hair is quite luxurious?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Book: probably Catch-22
    DVD: Anchorman
    Celebrity: Anne Hathaway

New Question:
    What one tool would you choose?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    New Question:
    a knife or axe seems the obvious choice, but seeing as we have electricity for our dvd player, i'm going to go for unobvious and pick mitar box saw.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Book - Lord of the RIngs Trilogy

DVD - Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Celebrity - Martha Stewart (Can't stand her but I would live comfortably while reading my book and watching my DVD.

Tool - I'll leave that to Martha, I'm not doing any work.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Book,- the Torah figure I might as well make myself more nuts but an English and Hebrew one please. Maybe in 20 years Id be some what versed in the book
    DVD - Planet Earth
    Celebrity - Josh Berstine you know the hottie from Digging for the Truth, hes a outdoor survival nut, easy on the eyes and can help with the Hebrew problem

Tool...metal shovel, you an dig with it, make sparks for fire, chop meat with it, defend yourself with it
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Tool: I'd go with the drawknife. Has to be the most versatile tool ever conceived.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Book: probably Catch-22
    DVD: Anchorman
    Celebrity: Anne Hathaway

New Question:
    Mendelman, I approve of your choice of celebrity.

Tool of choice: axe

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Tool: a Leatherman Tool, of course. Probably the Charge ALX.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Book: the Silmarillion. Like M'skis said about the Bible, this one takes a long time to understand.

DVD: Gone With the Wind

Celebrity: Harrison Ford, for reasons previously stated by cch

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Ohhhh, now we get to bring tools, eh? Give me a big ol' Crocodile Dundee style knife. Good 'n sharp too, please!
    You're more boring than you know.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

have a nice night, tip your waitress!

• tool - my husband
    • DVD - the blues brothers - great jokes, great music, what else do you need
    • Book - I think I agree on the Bible, I never make time to read it, so that would be a good time to do it
    • celebrity - Quentin Tarantino because the plot would be very interesting...
    Last edited by luckless pedestrian; 27 Apr 2007 at 4:49 PM. Reason: I didn't mean that my husband is a tool, it's just that he's great in the woods, I mean, well, uh, forget it....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What about clothing - what if you could only have one outfit? Remember this is a temperate climate....

Registered
    May 2005
    Book..............the Bible. I've started reading it so many times, 20 years would give me time to finish it.

DVD.............The Big Lebowski. The "Dude" would remind me how to relax and enjoy the ride.

Celebrity...............for female companionship, Reese Witherspoon

Tool..............defintely axe

Registered
    May 2005
    Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar (for the very hungry castaway)
    Movie: Citizen Kayne
    Tool: I'll go with the axe, too
    Celebrity: Sophia Coppola - smart AND sexy (plus, I'm sure daddy would launch a no-expense-too-great search party...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Stranded graveyards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Jan 2011, 12:28 PM
  2. Samso Island
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Jun 2008, 3:19 AM