Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Box stores or power centers

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007

Box stores or power centers

Does anyone know why all the city zoning is box stores and power centers now? And why not malls or strip ?

And how can you tell proper way on what is box stores or power centers? Or are they the same thing.

And is it a city zoning that every thing has to be box stores or power centers?

Quote Originally posted by nec209 View post
    Does anyone know why all the city zoning is box stores and power centers now? And why not malls or strip ?

And how can you tell proper way on what is box stores or power centers? Or are they the same thing.

And is it a city zoning that every thing has to be box stores or power centers?
    A "big-box store" is usually a retail store well in excess of 50,000 sf, usually geared toward autos and in an unattractive, boxy building. A "power center" is a number of these big-box stores (sometimes two, but probably three or four) grouped together often with smaller stores around it. It's not uncommon to see something like a Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Sam's Club, and Kohl's all in one clustered development with a lot of restaurants and the like.

Although cities allow big boxes and sometimes encourage big-box stores and power centers, I don't think their growth is due to cities actively seeking them out. There isn't a "big box only" zoning designation. Rather, its economics and realities of it all. Big-box stores are able to drive down prices and offer one-stop convenience (especially in a power center). And busy, frugal, auto-dependent suburban folks are happy to go there.

I still see plenty of strip malls around. I don't think they've gone away.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    A "big-box store" is usually a retail store well in excess of 50,000 sf, usually geared toward autos and in an unattractive, boxy building. A "power center" is a number of these big-box stores (sometimes two, but probably three or four) grouped together often with smaller stores around it. It's not uncommon to see something like a Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Sam's Club, and Kohl's all in one clustered development with a lot of restaurants and the like.
    So any boxy building is box store but in a parking lot with many other box stores ?Well power center is box stores or not but any group of stores in parking lot?

Well because I thought box stores or power centers are new and started in the 90's to replace malls and strip plazas.

But is Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Sam's Club. Best Buy or Future Shop in a power center or box store.

So box stores is how store look and not store zoning well power center,mall and plaza is zoning law .

Because in are city there are zoning laws where by plazas here and malls here and power centers here.

Quote Originally posted by nec209 View post
    So any boxy building is box store but in a parking lot with many other box stores ?Well power center is box stores or not but any group of stores in parking lot?
    There's not an official definition for either term. However, a big box store is usually a retail store with more than 50,000sf. A power center is a group of stores--including a number of big box stores--that total more than 250,000sf. It's like a strip mall, basically, but it is big and has big box stores. Power centers are popular retail installations these days.

Well because I thought box stores or power centers are new and started in the 90's to replace malls and strip plazas.
    Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Sam's Club, and similar stores have been around since the 70s, 80s, and even earlier. It's true that they seem to be gaining in number and popularity.

But is Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Sam's Club. Best Buy or Future Shop in a power center or box store.
    ONE Wal-Mart or ONE Home Depot is a big box store. If you put ALL of those together, you have a power center (this is a picture of a power center. See how there are many big box stores together?). Get it? Big Box Store is to Power Center as Goose is to Flock.

So box stores is how store look and not store zoning well power center,mall and plaza is zoning law .

Because in are city there are zoning laws where by plazas here and malls here and power centers here.
    Zoning and land use regulations certainly have something to do with where big box stores and power centers develop. But the main driver is really just business economics. Many people today like to shop at big-box stores. Putting a lot of these stores together to make a power center attracts even more customers.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Sam's Club, and similar stores have been around since the 70s, 80s, and even earlier. It's true that they seem to be gaining in number and popularity.
    Not in Toronto in the 90's is when box stores and power centers started to replace malls .And many of the box stores are big retail stores or big chain stores.They still do build plazas but is more corner stores.

And I guess you are right they never build box stores by it self and box stores are in power center.And a power center or shopping center is area ( parking lot ) for box stores or any stores ( mall,plaza,box store or small store by it self.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    What can we do to outlaw malls and box stores and build mix use stores with the shop owner above the store?

I know it will not look like the classic urban city but it be hybrid that support the cars and foot traffic.

I will also like mass transit like light rail and buses .

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 23 Sep 2013, 1:05 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 Sep 2012, 4:36 PM
  3. Power centers
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 24 Dec 2007, 11:58 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 28 Sep 2007, 4:12 AM