Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bee deaths = food shortage?

Registered
    Jul 2006

Bee deaths = food shortage?

Hi Cyburbia,

Saw this story at the bottom of the CNN website...
    http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/sci....ap/index.html

At the bottom of the page, they mention that bee die-offs occured in the 1960s and 1970s, and a similar thing happening in 2004. Does anyone remember those? I imagine a lot fewer people might have been aware that there could have been crisis (if there was one) in the 1970s and 1960s because the information wouldn't have been able to spread as quickly as it can now, given fewer media channels and the information might have been suppressed.

I hope we're not all eating soylent green by the end of the year.

Besides soylent green, any thoughts on this?
    I hope the bees will be ok.

Bzzz!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my uncle lives in NC and he mentioned at some group (the state? the feds?) were offering people $$ and the supplies to put bee hives on their private property. if i had the land i'd be willing to house some beeeeeezzzzzz.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I think it was Albert Einstein that said that if all bees died off humans would have like 4 years to live...

And well of course there are idiots saying that cell phones are killing the bees... nevermind the mites found in the lungs of dead bees...

Registered
    Aug 2001

dont spray the flowers!!

The Bees are back!, I've seen bumblebees or honeybees. Big buzzing bugs. Watched it fly about, its wing force bouncing sand grains, and stirring up leaves.

For problem pests like wasps, hornets, many if not most people use pesticides. Does build up of pesticides and improper usage of pesticides also affect the beneficial species , I'd say yes it does, in a variety of ways.

The only thing I spray to kill are skeeters, and even that bugs me.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The bees are happily pollenated our apple trees. Let's hope the bee population rebounds soon. We need those little buggers. They do good work and provide us with the sweet stuff for free.

I like seeing those white wooden beeboxes all over the state.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Hey dandy - if you talk to your uncle could you find out what the program is? If its federal, I'd definitely sign up!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Still a shortage of planners in Oz?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Dec 2010, 5:18 AM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 20 Apr 2009, 5:16 PM
  3. Hops shortage = craft beer crisis?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 Nov 2007, 5:54 PM