Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Contacting planners while applying for a job

Registered
    May 2007

Contacting planners while applying for a job

Hi Cyburbians,

I just started job-hunting after graduating with a master's degree. My question is this: is it a good idea to contact a planner when you are applying for a job opening with their department? I'd like to learn more about the work atmosphere, what they are looking for, etc, as well as allow them to associate a person with a name.

Would cold-calling a planner have the positive effect of improving name recognition, or is it more of an unnecessary annoyance to them? This may be a simple question, but I'd like to get the input of planning nation.

Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    don''t do it

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    If the advertisement weren't clear, I would call the main number of the Village or firm to have them elaborate on what they were looking for. You will probably speak with HR. However, I think you should do this anonymously.

The only time I think you would ever speak directly with the planner is when you know there is a position open and it is not advertised. In which case, you have insider knowledge and you should use it to your advantage. However, you should still be as professional with inquiring about a potential position as you are interviewing for a job.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    don''t do it
    I agree. You'll come across as someone who thinks they know all the tricks about getting a job.

The only time I would consider picking the brain of a current employee is if I was offered the job, but still had some reservations.

Don't jump the gun. You haven't even gotten an interview yet.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Feb 2012, 6:55 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Jan 2012, 1:28 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 11:28 PM
  4. Contacting old friends
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Mar 2006, 1:24 PM