Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Stand-alone kiosks at fast food restaurants

Stand-alone kiosks at fast food restaurants

We have a proposal for stand-alone movie rental kiosks at several area fast food businesses. We are taking them under our site plan review process, so my planning commission will be able to place conditions on them, if necessary. As we are on the cutting edge of nothing around here, these are new to our community.

Does anybody have any experience with these thing? Any suggestions? I'm all ears.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I have used them when I lived in NJ. I don't think you need additional restrictions on their use. They are usually used by the typical users of said use (food store, restaurant). www.redboxdvd.com is the company I'm familiar with. The process takes less than 2 minutes and people are in and out the door. If anything you might want to add 1 extra parking spot for the use but it's like a vending machine and I don't know if zoning or code enforcement has much say over vending operations.
    @GigCityPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I've seen them in grocery stores (redboxes), but nowhere else up here. In most cases, they've replaced the old video rental centers in the grocery stores.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup......

The McDonald's on Youngfield St. in Wheat Ridge, Colorado has one.....I hear its a great way to rent a new movie for a buck. Remember, Blockbuster is its own worst enemy and needs no protection......could be converted into a nice restaurant someday......he he he.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I don't think its anymore "retail" than someone buying a happy meal toy over the counter at McDonalds or buying a T-shirt at Hooters (not that anyone here would do that).

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

give yourself a deserved break today!

ancillary use usual and normal to the principal use - no additional regulations necessary -

Let me be clear: the only reason we're having them do site plan approval is because it's a second structure on the site -- not for the use, per se.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    so they are not inside the building? sorry if I missed that -

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fast Food Advertising
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Aug 2011, 9:59 PM
  2. Who has the best fast food?
    Friday Afternoon Club