Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How many hours per week do you work?

Registered
    Apr 2007

How many hours per week do you work?

How many hours per week do you work? How many hours do you spend at public meetings/hearings?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2007

Thanks

I'm sorry for repeatedly posting questions that have already been answered on other threads. I searched the threads for the answer to this question, but didn't find anything. That's why I asked. Thanks so much!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    I work 50+ hours/week and that doesn't include 4+ community meetings/month....it is the most demanding job I have EVER had.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    private sector: 8-5 monday-friday (1 hour off for lunch), flex time, very very little comp time (usually only happens in those rare emergencies with really really large renderings/graphics preparation for final presentations that might keep one or more of us up past 2-3 am, in which case we can sleep in the next morning, don't know if you can really call this comp time though).

I have the option of going to evening meetings, not too may to go to (most of our work is done with the client, aka public sector planners, during the day). Only have to stay for our presentation then we can leave.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Hasn't changed much since I posted this last March:

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    Curious: how many hours do you work per week on average?
    40 regular hours, on weeks with night meetings, add 3-8 hours.

Do you work for a locality or a private firm?
    Local government.

Do you get comp time if you have a night meeting?
    Though I'm an exempt, salaried employee, I do get what is called "Administrative Time" at a 1 to 1 basis for night meetings, which can be used for time off.

How often do you have to cover night meetings?
    In a typical month, 2 Planning Board meetings, one additional meeting. In a busy month (like this month) I have 8 night meetings (2 Planning Board, 1 Town Council, 1 Heritage Commission, 1 Conservation Commission, and 1 advisory committee meeting).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2002
    7:00 to 4:00, one hour off for lunch. That's 40 hours a week, not including any night meetings, the number of which fluctuates from month to month.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Betweem 50-60 hours with approximately 2-3 evening meetings.
    This is my downshift job. Currently working for a City
    The most that I have worked was a few years ago when I worked for a city where my normal work week was four fourteen hour days and one nine hour day with occasional weekends. It paid very well, but the leadership was dysfunctional.

I have worked in both the private and public sectors

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Public sector. The time sheets show my time as 40 hours per week, but I generally work 50+. I am a salaried employee that does not get comp time and being in management, I am not covered by Civil Service. The other planners in the office (non-management) work about 45 hours a week, get comp time at time and a half, and are covered by civil service after one year of employment. Its a good gig, no complaints here. Ever since I entered professional planning in the public sectorm, I have enjoyed what I do; therefore I do not mind putting in the necessary hours to get the work completed.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Was about 55/week until OT got cut. Now its 40 on the nose.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I am limited to working no more that 40 hours per week... if I work late one night, I have to work less hours on another day within the same week.

I personally donít like the limit. If given the opportunity, there are a few projects that I would work 60 to 70 hours per week on. Even if I did not get paid for them, it would still help me advance in my career (which seems to be limited with my current employer, regardless of how hard or how many hours I work).
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I am limited to working no more that 40 hours per week... if I work late one night, I have to work less hours on another day within the same week.

I personally donít like the limit. If given the opportunity, there are a few projects that I would work 60 to 70 hours per week on. Even if I did not get paid for them, it would still help me advance in my career (which seems to be limited with my current employer, regardless of how hard or how many hours I work).
    Whoah, I work for an agency that pays me for a 37.5 hour week, but expects me to put in a 45-50 hour week! I want your job!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2003
    roughly 40+ hours a week - 8-4:30 - Ĺ hour for lunch that I skip home for[advantage of being 4 blocks from work!]. I also have 2 council meetings a month, 1 plan board, 1 Island re-use board, 1 design committee, 1 design and preservation commission, plus another one or two irregular meetings. Then there's the meetings I have at regular occurances during the day. That ads another 4 to the mix.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    45 hours a week 7:46-6:30. 1 Planning Commission meeting -usually 3-4 hours.
    2 City Council meetings usually 3-4 hours

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Right now about 44-50 hours for the city of Los Angeles. With a average of 2 community meetings a month at about 4 each.

It is so much more humane than when I had my own buisness which accounted for 80+

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    40 hrs a week is pretty regular, with perhaps 1 meeting or take-home project a month.

Registered
    Dec 2002
    Public sector. 37.5 hours per week, comp time at time and a half for anything over that. 2-3 meetings per month.

37.5 hours weekly, no night meetings (perhaps 1 per year). Working at an MPO.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Work hours for planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Jun 2006, 9:11 AM
  2. how many hours do you work per week?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 13 Mar 2006, 5:46 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 26 Nov 2005, 7:11 PM