Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Regional transportation/greenhouse gas mitigation fees

Registered
    Aug 2004

Regional transportation/greenhouse gas mitigation fees

My agency is working on putting together a regional transportation mitigation fee in an effort to help fund future transportation improvements. I've found quite a few examples of this being done in other counties/regions and the process typically involves coming up with a list of needed/desired projects, finding a nexus between new development and worsing travel conditions in areas that these projects are meant to mitigate, and then assessing a per unit/square footage mitigation fee to be used for these capital projects.

Local electeds are very interested in global warming and green house gas production and are looking for ways for our regional agency to address these issues.

Has anyone heard of some sort of green house gas/global warming mitigation fee program that has been adopted or proposed? Any ideas, suggestions, or musings would be fantastic!

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by onespeed View post
    My agency is working on putting together a regional transportation mitigation fee in an effort to help fund future transportation improvements. I've found quite a few examples of this being done in other counties/regions and the process typically involves coming up with a list of needed/desired projects, finding a nexus between new development and worsing travel conditions in areas that these projects are meant to mitigate, and then assessing a per unit/square footage mitigation fee to be used for these capital projects.
    You are describing what we in Florida call impact fees. These can be based on existing VMT and future VMT. The future VMT modeling effort allows you to 'game' the improvements needed to accommodate the new growth. Walla... magic formula gives you a cost per trip to charge to build all that infrastructure needed in 20 years. That is simplifying it...Google it on the web.

As far as tying it to greenhouse gasses... how would you determine the gas emitted by a vehicle 20 years in the future? (granted VMT studies are based on travel behavior being the same in 20 years....). Look into FHWA air quality programs.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Jun 2007

Researching GHG Mitigation Fees

Hi Onespeed and Flying Monkey:

I'm researching the feasiblity of local government adoption of GHG mitigation/impact fees. Do you have any advice on sources of information on this issue? Would you like to share obstacles, successes and/or pitfalls you've experienced so far?

Thanks!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Aug 2012, 1:22 PM
  2. Greenhouse gas impact fees
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 May 2011, 5:58 PM
  3. Traffic mitigation "fees"
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8