Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is Disney the biggest NIMBY of them all?

Registered
    Feb 2007

Is Disney the biggest NIMBY of them all?

I came across this article today in our local paper, and i know it's a few weeks old, but come on Disney. What happened to the "Gran" vision of "Main Street" that you established in the minds of every child since the 1950's? You would think Disney would welcome new residents to the area that are within walking distances to a lot of resturants and shops, especially near their wanna be downtown center of "Downtown Disney." Here is a thought, why not do a wickedly cool mixed use development? Or am i just being to naive as a you planner?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Experts say Disney's aggressive stance stems from Walt Disney himself, who despised the kitsch that grew up around Disneyland when it opened in 1955 and believed it detracted from the aura of his pristine fantasyland.
    Uhh, isn't this kind of the pot calling the kettle black? Isn't Disney with its singing teapots, walking talking animals kitchy itself?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Four words about Disney: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

Registered
    May 2002
    If you knew the conservative basis of the Disney company, this action wouldn't surprise you. Walt donated heavily to several Republican candidates, and the actions of their amusement parks are famous. Ever read about how in the 60's, a man could be denied admitance if his hair was too long? It was considered too hippy.

NIMBY of them, that's true. Hypocritical too.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Although this is sad, I find it neither surprising nor hypocritical. Disney created his parks to be a fantasy land away from reality. He created DisneyWorld, in the midst of its huge Reedy Creek Improvement District, to try to avoid the encroachment of other developments that happened in California.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Update / More national exposure for the story from USA TODAY:

HEADLINE: Disneyland balks at new neighbors
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s_N.htm?csp=34

HIGHLIGHTS:
    Walt Disney Co. is battling developer SunCal Companies' 1,500-unit housing proposal in the Anaheim City Council, the voting booth and the courts.

Disney didn't object when SunCal originally proposed converting a 26-acre tract that now has two mobile-home parks into 1,000 condos and a hotel. The proposal later was switched to entirely residential, potentially more profitable to the developer, Pringle says.
    What a mess.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2007
    I'm not entirely familiar with the O.C. but what else is around Disney besides condos, apartments, hotels and strip malls? How could a large residential development really be that destructive to a multi-billion dollar industry?

"We believe this is a very dangerous precedent, because once you allow one residential development in, where does it stop?" said Rob Doughty, Disneyland's vice president of communications. "We will do all we can to protect the value of the resort area."
    But they also don't want the "neon light hotels" according to the article. I think that in their mind the "Highest and Best Use" in planner jargon may only be high end hotels/resorts and associated retail. my $0.02

Registered
    Jun 2003
    BUMP - UPDATE

HEADLINE: Disney Bid Gets 14K Names Against Homes
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

HIGHLIGHT:
    Save Our Anaheim Resort Area, which is funded by Disney, gathered 14,200 signatures -- about 1,000 more than required. The city clerk certified them Wednesday and will present them to the City Council July 17.
    It would appear that Disney must have a great PR campaign about this or the developer did not fight the petition hard enough ?

Save Our Anaheim Resort Area's website: http://soaranaheim.com/index.php
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2006
    The whole area around the Anaheim Disney Land sucks, and has sucked pretty since the start of time. At least now its not completely surround by crack motels.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 30 Jul 2013, 10:10 AM
  2. Biggest Regret In Life
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 30 May 2012, 12:45 PM
  3. Your biggest restaurant complaints
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 82
    Last post: 11 Aug 2011, 9:14 AM