Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Basic book describing planning

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005

Basic book describing planning

My new "coordinator" is a landscape architect who is unfamiliar with what planning really IS. Is there a book that gives an overview of planning and that defines common urban planning words/phrases? An "advisor" suggested Planning in Plain English. I don't think that person has actually READ that book, because, though useful, it really doesn't fit the bill at all.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post

I will chime in and agree with this one. I also suggest The Small Town Planning Handbook by Daniels, Keller & Lapping (authors are for 2nd edition). I understand an updated 3rd edition is about to come out or has already.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The Citizens Guide to Planning

Registered
    May 2007
    I checked out job of the practicing planner yesterday and agree that its thorough and even occasionally funny.As a just graduated planning student, I wonder if anyone could comment on how the book has aged over the last twenty years (it was written in 1988). Has anything changed since 1988, new areas of emphasis?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    one of my favourites is land use planning made plain by hok-lin leung. it may be a bit canadian centric, but is very good.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    A Career Worth Planning

Registered
    May 2007
    As always, Wikipedia is super-helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_planning

Includes lots of cited sources and links... including to Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Where the heck did your Landscape Architect go to school??.... as the too fields are closely related. I went to school for LA...and Planning courses were part of the requirements.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

From what I understand, the pre-eminent book on planning practice and the myriad issues that planners face in the comprehensive planning process is "The Practice of Local Government Planning," aka "The Green Book."

I find Planning and Urban Design Standards to be the most helpful and comprehensive regarding Planning.

Registered
    Jun 2007

"Community Planning"

"Community Planning: An Introduction to the Comprehensive Plan" by Eric Damian Kelly and Barbara Becker is a good one. It outlines all the small things like subdivision regulations and review processes and builds it's way up to how each thing is culminated: a comprehensive, cohesive growth guidance plan.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Basic skills for all planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 4:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Oct 2011, 11:47 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Mar 2011, 8:00 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 31 Jul 2007, 8:57 PM