Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: If you HAD to relocate...

Registered
    May 2005
    Seattle. WA (my family is there)
    Portland, OR (also near the family)
    Portland, ME (cold, yes, but a neat, small city)
    Pittsburgh, PA (I have a strange love affair with this place)
    Santa Fe, NM (if I could get a job that pays enough to afford it)
    Silver City, NM (a very cool town. If I had a good job to move there, I would)
    NYC (again, if I had a job that we could live on there...)
    Austin, TX (used to live there and loved it. Again, its all about the job and making enough to move and raise a family there)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2007
    Four pages of responses, and not one person who said their dream local is where they're currently living! I'll have to admit that I'm not in my dream place either, but someday I hope to be!

So, why aren't we living in our dream locations?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by azmodela View post
    Four pages of responses, and not one person who said their dream local is where they're currently living!
    Last time I looked at the dictionary, in order to "relocate," one had to move from where they currently were. The question was not about our dream local. I have already relocated to a more amenable place than the one I grew up in.

Unfortunately, due to differences in the cost of living, many people cannot afford the quality of life they seek in their dream local. That was the case with my wife and I.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I married this guy on Cyburbia... it's a long story.

But at least I'm still in Florida/ the South!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Somewhere along the Shenandoah Valley.

Registered
    May 2005
    Well, jmello is right that "dream locale" was not really the original question. Assuming you are in that place already, the forced relocation would take you to some second tier choice...

Personally, I'm not even sure if I am in my dream location or not. I am afflicted with perpetual wanderlust and have a hard time wondering what other lives might be waiting out there. So I look at jobs a lot and occasionally apply to them. Life's an adventure and there is no real good reason we are where we are (we have no family here, but after 10 years, a lot of friends).

But, to get down to it, the reason I don't live in any of the places I listed is simple: no job opportunities (that pay enough to merit a move), high costs of living, and having children (where you have to consider schooling and other facets of such a transition). But mostly, its just about the money. If I had an offer for enough elsewhere, we would likely strongly consider a move (and by "enough" I also include housing costs). There are actually a number of cost of living calculators out there that can help give one a good idea of what you need to make to maintain your quality of life in a new city. They're estimates at best, but it gives you some reference point.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    In no order, and for no particularly understandable reasons:

Washington, DC
    Berthoud, Colorado
    Pacific Grove, California
    New York, NY
    Chicago
    Pietrasanta, Italy
    Copenhagen
    London, UK

Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Well, jmello is right that "dream locale" was not really the original question. Assuming you are in that place already, the forced relocation would take you to some second tier choice...
    Well, I guess a few want the strict literal interpretation of the question then. Pardon me...

I guess since "dream locale" wasn't part of the question, then how could one be "forced" to relocate into their area of preference? Rarely does that happen.

I was just asking the question, since most seemed to come up with their ultimate place to live, and not one said they were in their ultimate location, and wouldn't relocate at any cost.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I was just asking the question, since most seemed to come up with their ultimate place to live, and not one said they were in their ultimate location, and wouldn't relocate at any cost.
    I'm in my ideal US location. There are a few places outside the US that I might move to if money and career opportunities were disregarded (for both me and my fiance), but I can't think of another place that I would rather live based on real world scenarios.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    May 2005
    Well, I guess a few want the strict literal interpretation of the question then. Pardon me...

I guess since "dream locale" wasn't part of the question, then how could one be "forced" to relocate into their area of preference? Rarely does that happen.

Sorry. Didn't mean to be snotty. I'm very anxious about the possibility of having to move in search of work these days as the turmoil is settling into New Mexico now. The wife and I have been turning possibilities around and around - what if I lost my job and couldn't find anything else here - what would we do? where would we consider going? Plan B preparations seem very far from the days when we dreamed about our favorite places to start a new adventure. And with kids in the mix, it seems even more tenuous.

So, the possibility of HAVING to relocate (which could be to a better situation, or not, who the hell knows?) is weighing on me. Follow a job?, move closer to family? Its all so confusing!

Anyway, didn't mean to be persnickety. Just feeling unsettled.

Registered
    May 2007
    No worries wahday.

I was in that situation not too long ago before I landed my current position. While I'm not in my dream location, I didn't have to relocate. I was considering it though, and was going through similar excercises with my family to determine where we wanted to be vs where we never wanted to be.

Good luck in your search, hopefully you'll end up in a preferred location!

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Well, I'm sort of in my dream location ... just about 30-35 miles south of my hometown ... and for the same reason as many others: lack of jobs in my field (not a lot of jobs for computer programmers in a small town of about 3000 people).

Anyways ... here's my alternatives to moving back to my home town:

Dunkirk/Fredonia, NY ... This is my second choice of retirement relocation spots, although I don't think I will relocate to any village or city. I'm a country girl, so I plan on retiring to the country but having a nice small city or large village near by is good, too!

Other places I might consider with no consideration of costs:

Saranac Lake, NY
    Ithaca/Watkins Glen, NY
    Newark, Delaware
    Gloucester/Rockport, MA
    Portland, ME
    West Virginia

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    -Portland, Portland, Portland, however, I'm not sure how I'd fair the winter months, I need sunlight!
    -Savannah, GA
    -Boston, MA
    -Richmond, VA (I lived there for two years and it was pretty great besides the crime!)
    -Guam (1/2 Chamorro)
    -Amsterdam
    -Tokyo
    -Prague
    -Bad Kreuznach (my birthplace!)

I've only visited all the stateside places and Bad Kreuznach. Everything else just looks really cool; I've lived a pretty sheltered life!

1. London
    2. Orlando, FL
    3. San Diego, CA
    4. Sydney, Australia
    5. Knoxville, TN
    6. Washington, DC
    7. Columbus, OH
    8. Portland, OR
    9. Singapore
    10. tie between Seattle, WA and Vancouver, BC

This is my list right now. This could change anytime, of course

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    new york
    london
    hong kong
    paris
    san francisco (though i'm already kinda close)

immediately come to mind.

Registered
    Jun 2007

Find Your Spot

http://www.findyourspot.com

It's kind of cheesy and if you're really savvy it's easy to manipulate your results, but this is still an fun activity! When I first took it, it introduced me to some places I had not considered or thought about (and a couple I'd never heard of). Upon further research, turns out I think I would like most of the suggestions they give, including the ones I'd not heard of/considered (like Carlisle, PA and the Hampton Roads, VA).

My list today:

Charleston, South Carolina Cosmopolitan Southern City
    Fort Sumter, the scene of the first shots of the Civil War, overlooks this city's harbor...
    Metro Population: 603,180 | Average Home Price: $285,000 | Precipitation: 52" | Snow: 0"

Jacksonville, Florida Florida’s First Coast
    Here in Florida’s “youngest city” the median age is just 32…
    Population: 773,800 | Average Home Price: $291,000 | Precipitation: 54" | Snow: 0"

Houston, Texas City of Excitement
    Texas won its independence from Mexico at a battle fought here in 1836; the city became the capital of the Republic of Texas...
    Metro Population: 4,420,000 | Average Home Price: $180,000 | Precipitation: 48" | Snow: 0"

Augusta, Georgia Georgia’s Garden City
    The Masters golf tournament is held in this Georgia town each year…
    Metro Population: 500,000 | Average Home Price: $236,000 | Precipitation: 42" | Snow: 0"

Gainesville, Florida The Heart of Florida
    Consistently ranked as one of America's best spots, this city is surrounding by undeveloped forests, lakes, and wetlands…
    Population: 98,100 | Average Home Price: $183,000 | Precipitation: 51" | Snow: 0"

Cincinnati, Ohio The Queen City
    This big Ohio city with the small-town feel is home to baseball's first professional team: the Reds started in 1869…
    Metro Population: 1,690,000 | Average Home Price: $161,000 | Precipitation: 39" | Snow: 19"

Orlando, Florida Florida’s Entertainment Capital
    In this entertainment mecca, you can wrestle alligators at Gatorland or have lunch with Mickey Mouse…
    Metro Population: 1,650,000 | Average Home Price: $272,000 | Precipitation: 50" | Snow: 0"

Knoxville, Tennessee Gateway to the Smoky Mountains
    In the shadow of the Great Smoky and Cumberland Mountains, this spot served as Tennessee's capital from 1796 to 1812…
    Metro Population: 704,400 | Average Home Price: $180,000 | Precipitation: 47" | Snow: 11"

Norfolk, Virginia Heart of the Hampton Roads
    This spot was the only American city completely destroyed and rebuilt in the Revolutionary War; a British cannonball in St. Paul's Church wall is a reminder…
    Metro Population: 1,606,000 | Average Home Price: $182,000 | Precipitation: 45" | Snow: 7"

Biloxi-Gulfport, Mississippi The Sparkling Gulf Coast
    This city started as a French settlement in 1699; its name means "First People"…
    Metro Population: 193,800 | Average Home Price: $202,000 | Precipitation: 60" | Snow: 0"

Tallahassee, Florida Florida’s Grand Old Capital
    This city is home to the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, site of the most intense constant magnetic field on Earth…
    Population: 154,440 | Average Home Price: $185,000 | Precipitation: 62" | Snow: 0"

Greenville, South Carolina The Rising Star of the South
    The Peace Center for the Performing Arts presents theater and concerts in this South Carolina city's rejuvenated downtown…
    Population: 56,000 | Average Home Price: $190,000 | Precipitation: 51" | Snow: 7"

Chesapeake-Virginia Beach, Virginia The Southern Tidewater Region
    This Virginia beach town's annual Neptune Festival features sports competitions, an arts and crafts show, and a Grand Ball…
    Metro Population: 624,000 | Average Home Price: $252,000 | Precipitation: 45" | Snow: 1"

Memphis, Tennessee Home of the Delta Blues
    This city's famous Beale Street gave birth to Blues, Rock 'n' Roll, and legends such as BB King and Elvis Presley…
    Population: 650,000 | Average Home Price: $150,000 | Precipitation: 49" | Snow: 3"

Hattiesburg, Mississippi Hub of South Mississippi
    This southeast Mississippi hub has been rated the #1 small city in the nation for health care…
    Population: 46,200 | Average Home Price: $115,000 | Precipitation: 58" | Snow: 0"

Tuscaloosa, Alabama The Big Apple of the South
    This important city on Alabama's Black Warrior river is home to Stillman College and the University of Alabama...
    Population: 79,300 | Average Home Price: $237,000 | Precipitation: 52" | Snow: 1"

Ocala, Florida Kingdom of the Sun
    This tree-lined spot on the Silver River has been nationally recognized for its prize-winning horses…
    Population: 52,320 | Average Home Price: $185,000 | Precipitation: 50" | Snow: 0"

St. George, Utah Utah’s Dixie
    This town is known as “Utah’s Dixie” because of its history of growing cotton…
    Population: 49,700 | Average Home Price: $200,000 | Precipitation: 8" | Snow: 3"

Jackson, Mississippi Old Capital of the South
    This historic Mississippi city is the home of the largest planetarium in the Southeast…
    Metro Population: 449,000 | Average Home Price: $132,000 | Precipitation: 49" | Snow: 1"

Athens, Georgia The Classic City
    The world's only double-barreled cannon rests in this Georgia town; it was "a spectacular failure" in tests in 1864...
    Population: 103,600 | Average Home Price: $169,000 | Precipitation: 50" | Snow: 0"

Charlotte, North Carolina The Queen City
    Home to First Union and Bank of America, this spot is renowned as a financial center…
    Metro Population: 2,335,000 | Average Home Price: $232,000 | Precipitation: 43" | Snow: 6"

Tampa, Florida Paradise on the Bay
    This Florida town's annual Gasparilla Pirate Fest includes a parade, an arts festival, and a "pirate invasion"…
    Metro Population: 2,500,000 | Average Home Price: $230,000 | Precipitation: 49" | Snow: 0"

Fort Worth, Texas Where the West Begins
    Although a BIG city—it's larger than Denver, Seattle, and Boston—with big city amenities, Fort Worth’s bluffs and hills enfold an energetic, small town, "cowboys and culture" atmosphere…
    Population: 534,700 | Average Home Price: $135,000 | Precipitation: 32" | Snow: 3"

Austin, Texas City of the Violet Crown
    This "Hill Country" capital boasts 12,000 acres of greenbelt and undeveloped land used for recreation…
    Population: 656,600 | Average Home Price: $154,000 | Precipitation: 31" | Snow: 1"
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 29 May 2009 at 5:55 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    In no particular order, and based only on places I've visited:

Bern, Switzerland
    Amsterdam
    Barcelona or Bilbao, Spain
    Asheville, NC
    Staunton, VA
    Some mountain town in West-by-God Virginia
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    An interesting question and one I'll need to be considering in about a year (when wife finishes her PhD).

Portland, OR
    Vancouver/Victoria, BC
    Coeur D'Alene, ID
    Asheville, NC
    Charlottesville, VA
    Austin, TX
    London, England
    Sydney, Australia
    Barcelona, Spain
    Panama City, Panama

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Fort Worth, Texas Where the West BeginsAlthough a BIG city—it's larger than Denver, Seattle, and Boston—with big city amenities...
    It is NOT larger than Boston, which has a city population of >580,000 and a metro population of >2.5 million.

The descriptions in this list are really cheesy. Why would I move to Orlando for Gatorland? Are there high paying jobs in the field of gator wrangling?

Also, what is Find Your Place's fascination with Asheville, NC? I have been there a few times and, while I can see the draw, there are many other very similar cities throughout New England and the West.

Registered
    May 2002
    Having been forced to relocate in the last year to a city that I feel is less than preferable, I've actually been thinking about his quite a lot.

Ann Arbor, MI
    Cornwall, England
    London, ON
    Rogers City, MI
    Greensboro, NC
    San Antonio, TX
    Orlando, FL

I'd like to say Berlin, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know that.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

I'm here!

Four pages of responses, and not one person who said their dream local is where they're currently living! ...
    This is where I want to be.

When my mother got sick (March '97) I had just returned from a February business trip to Seattle, where I'd purchased a pair of shorts to wear. Folks had hanging baskets outdoors. Flower markets. Cycling. Sunshine (yep, in Seattle). friendly happy healthy people. A lovely downtown. Etc. I was ready to reserve a U-haul...

...and then I spent hours every week driving back and forth to the hospital (Ann Arbor --> Royal Oak), dealing and coping with what turned into home-based hospice care. It was around then that I started planning an exit strategy from the "D."

I knew I wanted to stay in Michigan (something about our ten-cent deposit law, and feeling comfortable here, and being close enough to an important monthly activity in Dearborn). Needed a larger city with enough activities and events to fill up a single's calendar. Looked at a map and made a couple road trips. Subscribed to Grand Rapids Magazine, did some recon. And when my contract gig ended (June 2004), I finally did rent the U-Haul.

Fortunately my career path has meandered enough that I am not locked into one type of business or job. On my to-do list: Ten Reasons Why I Love GR to share with my Facebook pards.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Also, what is Find Your Place's fascination with Asheville, NC? I have been there a few times and, while I can see the draw, there are many other very similar cities throughout New England and the West.
    I think it has a lot to do with the location, at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, one of the most beautiful places on earth. There is also a certain appalachian, antebellum charm that you won't find in the northeast or the west.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    It is NOT larger than Boston, which has a city population of >580,000 and a metro population of >2.5 million.
    Actually, Fort Worth's most recent (2009) estimated population, according to the North Central Texas Council of Governments, is 720,250 and the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex has >6.5 million. The latest Census estimates show Fort Worth's population as 681,818 (July 1, 2007) and the Metroplex's population to be just over 6.3 million (July 1, 2008).

The descriptions in this list are really cheesy. Why would I move to Orlando for Gatorland? Are there high paying jobs in the field of gator wrangling?
    The tag lines are cheesy, but considering the site was designed for people who aren't geography/urban buffs like us, it's designed to catch their attention. The reports generated are actually quite useful about average climate, costs of living, economics, health care, education opportunities, etc.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    http://www.findyourspot.com

It's kind of cheesy and if you're really savvy it's easy to manipulate your results, but this is still an fun activity!
    That was fun. Here's the top ten from my list:

Little Rock, Arkansas Where America Comes Together
    All Maybelline products distributed in the U.S. are made in this fashion-conscious spot…
    Population: 595,600 | Average Home Price: $177,000 | Precipitation: 48" | Snow: 5"

Portland, Oregon City of Roses
    This Oregon city has the nation's largest forested municipal park, the aptly-named Forest Park…
    Population: 2,000,000 | Average Home Price: $259,000 | Precipitation: 36" | Snow: 5"

Fayetteville, Arkansas Light of the Ozarks
    Near the University of Arkansas campus, this town's Dickson Street is filled with lively bistros, night clubs and galleries…
    Population: 62,000 | Average Home Price: $193,000 | Precipitation: 42" | Snow: 10"

Charleston, West Virginia The Home of Hospitality
    For a taste of yesteryear, catch the boat races at this West Virginia city's annual Sternwheel Regatta...
    Population: 248,000 | Average Home Price: $216,000 | Precipitation: 41" | Snow: 26"

Salem, Oregon The Heart of Oregon
    This capital city is the home of the Oregon State Fair, as well as the state's largest on-going fine arts & crafts fair…
    Population: 143,000 | Average Home Price: $200,000 | Precipitation: 39" | Snow: 6"

Baltimore, Maryland The Sparkling Harbor City
    This Atlantic seaboard city is home to the National Aquarium…
    Population: 651,000 | Average Home Price: $310,000 | Precipitation: 40" | Snow: 18"

Baton Rouge, Louisiana The Cajun Capital
    This town was named after the red stick its founder saw on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River…
    Population: 603,000 | Average Home Price: $159,000 | Precipitation: 61" | Snow: 0"

Eugene, Oregon The Emerald City
    This Oregon city is home to the Hendricks Park Rhododendron Garden, famous all over the world for its beautiful blossoms...
    Population: 142,000 | Average Home Price: $226,000 | Precipitation: 48" | Snow: 7"

Corvallis, Oregon Heart of the Willamette Valley
    This Oregon city hosts "da Vinci Days," a festival of unique events revolving around art, science and technology...
    Population: 50,000 | Average Home Price: $225,000 | Precipitation: 43" | Snow: 6"

Shreveport-Bossier City, Louisiana Cities of Three Flags
    This spot on Louisiana's Red River was named for a steam boat captain who cleared a logjam known as the "Great Raft" in the 1830s…
    Population: 392,000 | Average Home Price: $140,000 | Precipitation: 45" | Snow: 0"

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I am suprised more people do not have Santa Barbara on their list. I went to school at UC Santa Barbara, and would practically kill to be able to afford to live there. Beautiful climate, strong community feel in downtown and just off the beaten path enough to enjoy it.

1. Santa Barbara, CA
    2. San Francisco, CA (Cheating, I know)
    3. Boston, MA
    4. London
    5. Portland, OR
    6. New York, NY
    7. Washington DC
    8. Tel Aviv
    9. Rome

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

More at Cyburbia