Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I have a dream....

Registered
    Feb 2004

I have a dream....

So last night I have this dream where I'm at work and we get an applicant who wants a temporary use permit to operate a "mobile summer camp." I ask the applicant what that entails and the guy explained they have three different panel trucks that travel around to various parking lots in the city for several hours at a time where they set up a campfire with instructors (dressed as scouts). One truck teaches knot tying to kids in the neighborhood. A second truck does various craft projects, such as making birdhouses out of popsicle sticks, and the third truck roasts marshmallows and sings songs with the kids.

Whatever meaning does this dream have?

Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Do we need a poll ?

either

when you leave work, work doesn't leave you
    or
    some unfilled summer camp experience meshing into work - see above.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I think the other questions is, were you going to allow this or reject it? That might give the poll deeper meaning and the answer "You hate 'Merica" would makes sense.

1st Walmart drops flag related products, now NASCAR is telling SC to take down the flag. What are the rednecks going to do? How will they show the rest of us how ignorant they really are?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    maister - I personally think this is your "million-dollar idea"

Think of the YMCAs, daycare, rec centers, ...the list is endless...where you could apply this. Not every kid has a chance to go to camp or be exposed to this kind of thing. You might have to be careful with the roasting marshmallow truck.

Its like the Tumblebus around these parts. Somebody bought a retired school bus, took out all the seats and filled it up with padded gym mats. Now they drive around to different places and give tumbling lessons in the bus (primarily for pre-schoolers).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    maister - I personally think this is your "million-dollar idea"
    Hey yeah, there are undoubtedly millions of city kids lamenting how no one has ever showed them how to tie a bowline, make a portrait of their parents using glue and macaroni, or sing '99 bottles of beer on the wall'. They'd be coming in droves to sign up for the experience. That's it, I'm quitting my day job!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Hey yeah, there are undoubtedly millions of city kids lamenting how no one has ever showed them how to tie a bowline, make a portrait of their parents using glue and macaroni, or sing '99 bottles of beer on the wall'. They'd be coming in droves to sign up for the experience. That's it, I'm quitting my day job!
    You'll never know unless you try!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Sign me up for the knot tying bus. I still know all my knots from bowline to Spanish bowline. I even know the difference between a knot and a bend and between rope and line. I can even teach the adults how to tie handcuffs in seconds for tying up their children or for those 50 shades moments if the children let them have it.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    This is actually an awesome idea....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Sign me up for the knot tying bus. I still know all my knots from bowline to Spanish bowline. I even know the difference between a knot and a bend and between rope and line. I can even teach the adults how to tie handcuffs in seconds for tying up their children or for those 50 shades moments if the children let them have it.
    Okay, so it sounds like dvdneal is applying to be our first 'kamp kounsellor'. You got the knot-tying bus job and can cover the downtown area beginning at 7 a.m.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Were these panel trucks windowless? Luring young boys to activities in panel trucks? Activities involving knots? Someone call Chris Hansen.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    otterpop has a point. No white or dark colors windowless vans, especially we cannot allow 'Free Candy' to be spray painted on the side.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Dream City
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Nov 2011, 10:02 PM
  2. What is your Dream Home?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 24 May 2007, 8:12 PM
  3. Your Dream Car
    Friday Afternoon Club