Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Raising Children Thread

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Our daughter (who turned 8 weeks yesterday) last week decided to want to fall asleep every night around 10:00 p.m. and sleep between 6 and 7 hours at a shot now. Let's hope she keeps this up!

The only negative is that she still doesn't really like her crib but she has a little chair that lays almost completely flat that she falls asleep almost as soon as being placed into it - she must still like that confined feeling. So we are guilty of letting her sleep a little longer in that than we probably should. We do try to move her into the crib after she's asleep but on those nights where she wakes up too easily during the move and will not go back to sleep, we figure maybe it's easier and beneficial for everybody involved to let her sleep in her chair.

Of course, who knows what we will do when she physically outgrows it in a few pounds or starts rolling over... Then she will have no choice but to sleep in the cavernous crib.
    As long as she's lying flat, she should be OK sleeping in the chair. Have you tried keeping the little chair in the crib for sleeing so that she gets used to being in the crib? Try it for naps, first, so you can make sure that the chair won't tip over with her in it.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Our daughter (who turned 8 weeks yesterday) last week decided to want to fall asleep every night around 10:00 p.m. and sleep between 6 and 7 hours at a shot now. Let's hope she keeps this up!
    Lucky bastard. My 4 month old son still cannot sleep through the night. He goes to bed around 8ish. Wakes up around 1am with subsequent wake ups at 4 am and hourly from there on out until 7am. This is the complete opposite of my daughter who was sleeping through the night by 10 weeks. I think it is time for the rice cereal to make the tummy full, but i am getting tired of the waking up, putting a pacifier in the mouth and going back to sleep.

If your daughter likes the confined feeling, have you tried continuing the swaddling thing? Both my kids hate it but i hear it works for most kids.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    If your daughter likes the confined feeling, have you tried continuing the swaddling thing? Both my kids hate it but i hear it works for most kids.
    She still likes the swaddling but after about an hour she usually kicks herself free (she sleeps like a dog who is dreaming about chasing a squirrel). We do have some "sleep sacks" and put her into one of those most nights though and that helps a little bit.

I've also tried the trick of putting her in the crib and rolling up a couple of blankets real tightly, placing one on each side of her, waiting a few minutes to make sure she is going to stay asleep, and then removing the blankets (of course I don't leave her like that with the blankets and leave the room). That seems to work about 75% of the time.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Life lesson #330. Five year olds are incapable of keeping secrets, despite their vehement protestations to the contrary.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Life lesson #330. Five year olds are incapable of keeping secrets, despite their vehement protestations to the contrary.
    True. Living in a family is kind of like being a member of an elite government death squad: sure you're all in it together, but no matter what, you really shouldn't trust anyone too far.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    I've been thinking about this lately - is summer vacation still a good idea in the 21st century? Most people don't need their children to work in the fields anymore. Local and state governments can't afford to pay their teachers more right now but there really isn't a great reason to have no school for over 2 months of the year.
    I think the 10-year old inside you just died. Remember back when you were young and your parents would do something ridiculous and you would say, "When I am old, I will never forget what it was like to be a kid". Well my friend, you have forgotten.

Sure there is no "reason" for summer vacation... except that is ROCKS for kids! At least it rocked for me when I was a kid. Plus, I bet it rocks for teachers too! And as little as they get paid they deserve a 2 month break from it all.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    My inner child refuses to grow up. Life is good.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    My inner child refuses to grow up. Life is good.
    ofos, I raise my glass of Kool-Aid to you, Sir.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I was always so much easier to be a parent when I didn't have kids...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Things I am learning right now:

- A one year old, despite having tiny legs and arms, can crawl close to the speed to sound, especially when they go to another room.

- A one year old is really interested in the lap top. Particularly when you are completing some homework for a public management certification and he manages to slap the keyboard and find the combination of keys to reduces the screen resolution.

- A one year old loves the dogs. He will crawl into the dog bed with our old dog and begin petting her (read: slapping her side) until she slowly gets up and leaves.

- Speaking of dogs, a one year old can take away the younger dog's favorite tennis ball and crawl around unfettered while the dog follows slowly looking sad.* (good pack hierarchy training, if I say so myself)

*-this still makes me a bit nervous, and this practice is closely watched
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The rescue of the Chilean miners made me realize that they have been trapped underground longer than my daughter has been alive!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

All Hallows Eve

Last week was a vampire
    This week is a witch
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Is next week slated for a Zombie or a Hobo?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Nice try, son.

This morning my son tried for the first time to get out of school by faking being sick. It is a milestone. I felt like taking a picture and putting a memory in his scrapbook. However he made several errors.

Last night he expressed a desire not to go to school, so I knew something might be afoot this morning. Mistake No. 1: do not telegraph your intentions beforehand.

He complained this morning of congestion and feeling warm. We took his temperature and it read only 99.3 degrees. Then during breakfast he quizzed us on what was a high enough temperature. 105 degrees? (that would get you taken to the hospital, I said.) 103? (that would get you taken to the doctor, I said) 101? (oh, you would stay home, I said with a knowing smile). So he went into the bathroom with the thermometer and came out a few minutes later with a thermometer reading 100.6. But the thermometer was still wet from when he ran it under the hot water. Mistake No. 2: only wet the metal tip of the thermometer and wipe it down afterward.

So we gave him liquid Motrin for his slight fever. Once again he went into the bathroom and when he came out, there was a drop of Motrin on the toilet seat. Mistake No. 3: If you don't want to take the medicine, pour it in the sink and wash the evidence down the drain.

Then he actually asked me how he could fake diarrhea. I gotta give him an A for audacity for that one.

I was a little disappointed in him. With a little more planning and ingenuity he could have faked being sick better and then both he and I could have had a stress-free day of soup, Connect 4, and TV. You would think a kid in the gifted program at school could have done better.

I consider it a good training excercise for him. He's learned from his mistakes. The next time he will come up with something that will pass the smell test with his mother.

I think I might rent "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," to give my boy some needed pointers.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2003
    LMAO! Otterpop.

So very proud of our daughter in college.(I say with sarcasm in my voice)
    The first Facebook pictures of a party where she was drinking. She made sure all the posed pics did not have anything but bet she doesn't even know about the one from across the room where you can see the beer in her hand.
    I shake my head.
    Yes I know they do it.
    Yes I know she does but she protests that she does not. I would just asoon not get lied to.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    This morning my son tried for the first time to get out of school by faking being sick. ....
    This leads me to wonder what's going on at school.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    This leads me to wonder what's going on at school.
    Can't a man have a little bit of pride without having cold water dashed on him?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Can't a man have a little bit of pride without having cold water dashed on him?
    ???
    Pride is fine, but the recent widespread awareness about bullying leads me to suspect that there's something afoot that Jr can't verbalize.

When I was bullied, the advice provided was, "ignore it and they'll stop." Didn't work. Avoidance tactics sometimes helped.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    ???
    Pride is fine, but the recent widespread awareness about bullying leads me to suspect that there's something afoot that Jr can't verbalize.

When I was bullied, the advice provided was, "ignore it and they'll stop." Didn't work. Avoidance tactics sometimes helped.

I am pretty sure it was just he was feeling lazy and wanted to take a "mental health day." And avoid school work.

My son is a brown belt in tae kwan do and he knows if bullied he is supposed to go through the proper chain of school policy, but if that fails, he is fully sanctioned by his papa to open up the proverbial can of whup-ass and serve as large of a portion to the bullying individual as is necessary. I've told him I have his back in those situations and will go to the mat for him if he gets in trouble.

I am strictly old school in handling bullying situations. Ignoring it doesn't work. Talk only works up to a point, especially when it is boys. In some cases, a boy has to demonstrate in no uncertain terms that he isn't putting up with any more sh*t. A trip to the principal and a possible suspension is a small price to pay for delivering come-uppance and showing a bully the price for his actions.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    I am strictly old school in handling bullying situations. Ignoring it doesn't work. Talk only works up to a point, especially when it is boys. In some cases, a boy has to demonstrate in no uncertain terms that he isn't putting up with any more sh*t. A trip to the principal and a possible suspension is a small price to pay for delivering come-uppance and showing a bully the price for his actions.
    I agree. I've also given my 7-year old daughter the green light to take actions into her own hands, if all else fails.

Sometimes all a bully needs is a quick pop to the nose to correct their behavior.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I was and am on the small side of humanity so I was subjected to some bullying as I grew up. But it was a learning experience then, not a criminal offense as some would have it now. I learned a lot of valuable lessons including: avoiding, out-smarting, creating strategic alliances, befriending, and yes, even direct confrontation. All have served me well later in life. I don't advocate the practice of bullying but it's never going to go away and taking away the ability of parents and teachers to deal with it hasn't helped.

Registered
    May 2004
    I am pretty sure it was just he was feeling lazy and wanted to take a "mental health day." And avoid school work.....
    Good deal. At least he learned something about biology and symptoms.

Haven't ever found violence to be helpful. The other day, in a small group, we introduced ourselves. Others had mentioned where they came from in the D, so I listed a few of the places I lived before moving here. And a venerable person sarcastically commented, "it's good to know that you are stable."

My gut said, "get up and walk out."

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Do your children have an inordinate amount of homework assigned? I am all for giving my child work to challenge and educate him after school to prepare him for the next day, but it seems like they are going overboard some days.

Case in point, last night he had three math assignments, science, language, and spelling. He worked on it before dinner and after dinner and wasn't done until 9:45. His bedtime is 8;30 p.m.

I don't recall having nearly that much homework when I was in fourth grade.

Made me pissy because I too had to work with him until 9:45 too - explaining things and double-checking his work. My bedtime is 9:30.

So everyone woke up today sleep-deprived and cranky.

So, do any of your kids seem to get too much homework?

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Do your children have an inordinate amount of homework assigned? I am all for giving my child work to challenge and educate him after school to prepare him for the next day, but it seems like they are going overboard some days.

Case in point, last night he had three math assignments, science, language, and spelling. He worked on it before dinner and after dinner and wasn't done until 9:45. His bedtime is 8;30 p.m.

I don't recall having nearly that much homework when I was in fourth grade.

Made me pissy because I too had to work with him until 9:45 too - explaining things and double-checking his work. My bedtime is 9:30.

So everyone woke up today sleep-deprived and cranky.

RT's 4th grade teacher assigned in inordinate amount of homework to the degree that there was a mutiny by the parents on the Parent-Teacher Night. The rule of thumb is supposed to be 10 minutes per grade level so she should have had about 40 minutes and we were getting about double that. It was scaled back after some pressure was placed upon the teacher (she was new and had no kids). RT's 5th grade year averaged 50-60 minutes a night in homework and she's pretty much owned the process since then and I just check the online grading system occasionally as a follow up.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Do your children have an inordinate amount of homework assigned?
    <snip>
    Our school policy limits homework assignments to no more than one hour for elementary kids with no limit for Jr High kids. There have been a few occasions where homework assignments extended beyond an hour, but mostly because the kid was goofing off and I wouldn't let him count that time toward his hour. Other times, assignments really did overdo it and I allowed him to stop and sent a note to the teacher.

I've seen reports go both ways about the usefulness of homework. My kids seem to think homework=studying. I am having a desperate battle convincing them otherwise, especially the soon-to-be HS Frosh.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 502
    Last post: 30 Jul 2014, 1:53 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club