Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Raising Children Thread

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I agree. I've also given my 7-year old daughter the green light to take actions into her own hands, if all else fails.

Sometimes all a bully needs is a quick pop to the nose to correct their behavior.
    Speaking of pops to the nose. My daughter got tripped at school 2 days ago and landed on her nose. It's really sore and the one side is bruised. I don't think it's broken, but hard to tell.

My wife and I have heard some horror stories about the increasing amounts of homework as kids move through our charter school (K-8).

My 2nd grader has 1 sheet of homework Mon. through Thur. She usually just does it all on Monday night. She also has a spelling list to memorize and is suppose to read 15 minutes. She's too smart for her own damned good, I think she actually enjoys doing it.

I guess I'm not a big fan of lots of homework, but I'd rather the kid be doing that than playing on the PS3.
    Last edited by btrage; 09 Dec 2010 at 1:46 PM.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Wee P is in 2nd grade and each night has:
    * 1 or 2 math sheets,
    * Spelling words for the week and each night has to do an assignment each night (use in a sentnce, write a story, practice test, write 5 times are the usual tasks)
    * 20 minutes of reading

This usually takes a couple hours to finish - particularly when she trying to make up sentences or the story using the all the spelling words.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Missing homework or was it lost?

I am wondering if any of you parents have had this problem - a missing assignment your child says he/she did but the teacher lost it.

Every so often it comes to my attention that my son is missing an assignment or two (we can check his progress online). Sometimes it is because he forgot or hasn't done it.

But every so often I know he did the assignment because I helped him with it and his work goes in a folder that my wife puts in his backpack. The question arises: what happened to the assignment? My son says he turns it in. I tend to believe him. Not absolutely that he turned it in but that he believes he did. He says other kids in his class experience the same problem.

A teacher probably see more than a hundred, maybe a couple hundred papers in a week. I don't think it is inconceiveable that one or two papers fall through the cracks. The problem being that it is the child that suffers.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    My kids (5 and 10) go to a Montessori school (a benefit of my job) and they do not assign homework. My son, currently in 4th grade, was actually disappointed when his new teacher announced she would not be giving homework (the previous teacher had as a prep for whatever schools they go to after 5th grade). He fears he will be crippled by assignments come 6th grade.

I don't feel that he suffers for it in the least, though. He gets a very thorough and rigorous education as it is.

Situations may be changing for us come summertime, so schooling will, too. Time to get acclimated to a new system.

I, on the other hand, frequently have homework, if you want to call it that. A non-profit's work is never done...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2005
    otterpop - we've had a similar issue a few times and we found that either Wee P put it in the wrong basket or the teacher did not finish entering the grades. We didn't have this problem before and the teacher this year gets distracted easily (she admitted that in our parent/teacher conference).

We keep checking as you are doing and are going to get through the year then keep a close eye next year to see if it changes. Sometimes you get great teachers and sometimes you don't. But I also know we, as parents, keep working with our kids as well.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I am wondering if any of you parents have had this problem - a missing assignment your child says he/she did but the teacher lost it.

Every so often it comes to my attention that my son is missing an assignment or two (we can check his progress online). Sometimes it is because he forgot or hasn't done it.

But every so often I know he did the assignment because I helped him with it and his work goes in a folder that my wife puts in his backpack. The question arises: what happened to the assignment? My son says he turns it in. I tend to believe him. Not absolutely that he turned it in but that he believes he did. He says other kids in his class experience the same problem.

A teacher probably see more than a hundred, maybe a couple hundred papers in a week. I don't think it is inconceiveable that one or two papers fall through the cracks. The problem being that it is the child that suffers.
    Happens occassionaly with our 2nd grader. The teacher has a parent helper on Fridays, when homework for the week is due, and sometimes it just gets lost in the shuffle. Eventually its found though.

My wife and I have determined that our oldest daughter (7) has a "word quota" for each day. The girl just doesn't shut the hell up. While I appreciate that she is expressive, it gets quite straining at the end of the day. She can literally give me a headache with the amount of talking she does.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    RT's teachers always lag behind in entering assignment grades online. I generally take her word for it. A time or two a teacher has lost her assignment to which she just hands a copy of it in since at this stage most of her stuff is generated on a computer and she saves her files.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    My wife and I have determined that our oldest daughter (7) has a "word quota" for each day. The girl just doesn't shut the hell up. While I appreciate that she is expressive, it gets quite straining at the end of the day. She can literally give me a headache with the amount of talking she does.
    Our 7 yo does that frequently too. Two days ago I came home and went to walk the dog. She wanted to come with me which was great, but she did not stop talking during our entire 1 mile trek around the neighborhood. Towards the end she actually said "I know I've talked alot now, but that's because we had to quiet today in school."

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Happens occassionaly with our 2nd grader. The teacher has a parent helper on Fridays, when homework for the week is due, and sometimes it just gets lost in the shuffle. Eventually its found though.
    I was going to echo this. This happens all the time with my kids (my kids are in public school). I know that two of the teachers rarely - if ever - actually check homework. It's a parent volunteer or other students.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My son is pretty talkative too. I haven't established a word quota yet, but it is a good idea. Most of my son's talking is questions and information gathering, so I am reluctant to limit his speech, but the endless questions can be taxing on my brain after a day of work stress. Complicating the situation is now that he is 9, his questions are harder to answer and often not in my area of expertise (he is a math and science guy and I am a history/geography/literature guy with a good science knowledge). When he was younger, the questions were easier, or I could rely on the fact he was ignorant so I could make something up he would believe.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Oh that makes me laugh!! I have a 6 year old girl like this. I want to listen, I really do. It's a challenge to keep listening sometimes but I tell myself one day she'll be all grown up and I'll wish so badly she'd talk to me as much again.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Last night I was looking over my son's homework. Up on the top of one of the papers he had written "BS".

I asked him what "BS" stood for. He said "Board Spelling." I said "okay, but maybe you better write that out insead." When he asked why, I explained what "BS" normally meant. He thought that was pretty funny and appropriate, but he changed it anyway.

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    OMG! The TALKING! My 10 year old son is the biggest, most non-stop chatterbox. We should get these kids together for a talk-off!

It can be maddening, endearing, head-spinning and so much more. The biggest challenge is being able to have your own thoughts. Sometimes I feel like when he starts in on a long one, its like he just hijacked my brain and took all my original thoughts away!

Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy - smart, sensitive, compassionate, confident. But, yeah, the talking is...quite...challenging...

I'm hoping its a phase. A three to five year phase.

My daughter, 5, is gearing up to fill any void left when my son calms down and takes a breath. She holds her own pretty well these days, but her "thing" at the moment is challenging authority. So charming! And yet, once the talking starts, I'll wish she was refusing to brush her teeth instead.

Kids. You can't beat 'em and you can't sell 'em. If only they didn't house all my hopes and dreams for a better future...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My 10 (almost 11) year old always complains that she is the only kid in her class without a cell phone. The strange thing is that I think she's right. Why do kids all need cell phones at such a young age? Facebook is the other thing that every other 5th grader does.

And, yes, in my day we strung two rusted tin cans together and we liked it.

Registered
    Aug 2001

keep talking....

Oh those chatterboxers, love 'em, sometimes need to leave 'em - but still listening. Though admittedly I don't always make a point of really listening-

Though the trick is to get them to tell you the stuff you want or need to know. When sometimes just asking a simple question gets tossed back at ya!
    Last edited by Jen; 08 Feb 2011 at 9:47 AM. Reason: I do do that that too

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Today my daughter is 6 months old! Time really does fly!

Last edited by WSU MUP Student; 08 Feb 2011 at 1:27 PM. Reason: I didn't realize that picture was going to be at a scale of 1:1
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Holy Crap! Your house is really clean! Ours never looked like that when we had a little un. Or now.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Holy Crap! Your house is really clean! Ours never looked like that when we had a little un. Or now.
    I only allow her to play with one toy. Once she has mastered that one toy, she can choose a second toy to play with if, and only if, she puts that first toy away. As you can tell from the photo, my wife, who is more relaxed in regards to this regulation, has allowed our daughter to take four toys out of the basket!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I only allow her to play with one toy. Once she has mastered that one toy, she can choose a second toy to play with if, and only if, she puts that first toy away. As you can tell from the photo, my wife, who is more relaxed in regards to this regulation, has allowed our daughter to take four toys out of the basket!
    She's a doll, you do good work! (There's a lame-dorky-neighbor-type thing to say for you.) But seriously, a real doll.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Good luck with that It won't last.... wait until she can get around
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Good luck with that It won't last.... wait until she can get around
    or till Detroit Planner visits and brings her Polly Pockets! My nieces have turned making Polly Pocket messes into an art-form.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    or till Detroit Planner visits and brings her Polly Pockets! My nieces have turned making Polly Pocket messes into an art-form.
    That reminds me...my daughter had a friend who liked to play a game she called "MIX-IT-UP". You cannot begin to imagine...pollypockets and little people and kitchen littles and all the teeny-tiny Barbie coutre, blocks, tea sets. That child was almost banned from my home. The game was forever turned into a hiss and a by-word.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    my eldest is 18 today - wow, this is so cliche but really, how the hell did that happen? She said she can do anything she wants now and my response was "yes but I don't have to bail you out anymore as you are no longer a juvenile and I definitely don't have to fund it!"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    my eldest is 18 today - wow, this is so cliche but really, how the hell did that happen? She said she can do anything she wants now and my response was "yes but I don't have to bail you out anymore as you are no longer a juvenile and I definitely don't have to fund it!"
    I thought you should know I have written that down for reference (i'm only two years from this moment myself). I think it's a great response!

And it may be cliche, but it's true. How the hell does that happen? We'll never know.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I'm on your heels with 6 months to go. I've already told her that she can do what she wants as long as she is not living at home or on my dime. She said that wasn't likely to happen anytime soon so I just told he to remember that and not get pissed off when I remind her Where has the time gone?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 513
    Last post: 12 Sep 2014, 1:09 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread