Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Raising Children Thread

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    cch - it's normal for little kids to push one of the parents away, all 3 of my kids have done (the youngest still does) - they are testing your love, to see if you'll come back anyway - so always come back!

kids also look to you for different needs than your spouse - last night my 3yo son had a bad dream and he wanted Daddy because he was mighty scared that the "little people were going to take him away" - of course, at 3 AM, I was only happy to have Daddy go to his aid

my tale for today is my 3 yo son asked to wear his big boy underwear that has been patiently waiting for him on his changing table - but he isn't thrilled about using the potty in order to do that - so onward through the fog of accidents we go as we had 2 daughters before him so he's our first and only boy and we are as clueless now as were when we had our first, lol!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    cch I would say that your wee one is doing something that many kids do. Mine did it although it was between me and my mother, her Nana. After a couple of months it subsided. I wouldn't worry too much.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    on the potty training gig up here:

yesterday, upon donning his big boy pants, he never used the potty but sat on it throughout the day and then had lots of accidents. I made him wear a diaper to bed and then in the morning he wanted his big boy pants again. I let him wear them and needed to change into a new pair before we left, though he did sit on the potty a lot this morning. So when I dropped him off at daycare, they said that they would keep him in a diaper until he’s trained. What the ____ is that about? How can you train a kid on nights and weekends only to wear a diaper to daycare? This is a royal pain – how can we train this kid? Argh -

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    on the potty training gig up here:
    This is a royal pain – how can we train this kid? Argh -
    He just may not really be ready and it isn't necessarily a problem to wear diapers in one setting but not another. In my experience, once they are ready, there isn't much training to do. When my oldest was 2, I tried to get him to use the toilet. It was a huge failure. A few months later, I tried again. It took 3 days and he used the toilet after that. And the only thing I did was this: When his cold feet hit the warm bath water, he always peed in the water. So I pulled the pot out of the potty chair and stuck it under him so he peed in it. I did that two days in a row. On day three, I suggested he pee in the potty BEFORE getting in the bathtub. That was it. It took another six or eight months to get him completely out of diapers. He would use the toilet at home but wore diapers if we went somewhere. He didn't like using strange bathrooms and I think it's more complicated to try to use a public toilet for a small child who will have to notifiy mommy..etc. At home, he didn't need to have enough warning to discuss it with me, find a public restroom, etc. He just went.

My second child began emulating his older brother well before he was really ready to use the toilet. It was a game, not an indication of readiness. It was a long time before he was really physiologically ready to use a toilet.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    LP, I hear ya on the potty training. I'm sure my daughter would be trained now if she had more consistency between home and daycare. Now I'm in a real pickle because our daycare lady is retiring at the end of the year. We've got our daughter signed up for a daycare/preschool center, but they only take 3-year olds who are completely potty trained .

When we are home on weekends I have her in underwear as much as possible, have her sit on the potty every couple hours if she hasn't gone on her own. She totally knows when she has to go, and what she needs to do. But if she is busy playing she will never tell me she has to go. Then come Monday she is back in diapers at daycare. She does use the potty at daycare occassionally, but I'm worried she will never be fully trained unless we take the diapers off and never look back.

If she isn't using the potty by Jan. 1 I have no idea what we are going to do with her.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Technology is wonderful, I can go online and see what the kids spend their lunch money on, check grades, email the teach and wo whats this discpline tab?

wha ow, we have a discipline note from march 2006 put in the then second graders file. "was heard calling isiah hopkins a stupid student of the month and other names...blah blah blah"

I was never told about this then. I jjust found it today. It explains a lot as it was the day of her older sisters birthday and she was all out of sorts. No wonder, she was sitting in the principals office.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    Technology is wonderful, I can go online and see what the kids spend their lunch money on, check grades, email the teach and wo whats this discpline tab?

wha ow, we have a discipline note from march 2006 put in the then second graders file. "was heard calling isiah hopkins a stupid student of the month and other names...blah blah blah"

I was never told about this then. I jjust found it today. It explains a lot as it was the day of her older sisters birthday and she was all out of sorts. No wonder, she was sitting in the principals office.
    I agree on the technology deal. We had one that did not turn in her assignment. We talked to her about it, she said she did. We went back on and still nothing but the teacher said she did not have everything entered. We looked again, still nothing. We told the daughter get it turned in and have the teacher email that she has it. Email came through a few hours later.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    it's so sad because he is our 3rd child so you'd think we'd be professionals by now -

our first was trained at daycare when she turned 3 and we really had nothing to do with its success - they just took her to the bathroom every 20 minutes until she figured it out - it was great

our 2nd child, also a girl, literally woke up one morning, said she wanted to wear big girl underwear and I didn't take her very seriously and said that's fine but you have to pee and poop in the potty and not in your underwear and she said okay and that was it - no accidents, no issues

so now, after being scot-free 2 times, we have our 3rd, he is a boy so I know that's a different gig from the outset and he has a completely different personality from the other 2 - so with the daycare not following our suit, and he being more stubborn than the other 2, I feel like a first time Mom again -

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am nt even sure when mine were potty trained,...it had to be around 3. BUT my youngest still wets the bed every single night...we go through phases where he wont need a pull up for about 2 nights, then its back to pull ups and even peeing through them...I was a bed wetter (yes I know TMI) until I ws aobut 7 I think...but I am going to go crazy if he doesnt stop...I dont know what to do. I wake him in the middle of the night, sometimes he goes, sometimes not, but the time when he gets the bed wet (and yes its my damn bed, thats a whole other issue ) is in the morn right before he wakes up...hguhgughgughu my matresses, my sheets, his matress his sheets, all of it is driving me crazy....
    Anyone else have a late bed wetter? And I dont want to hear about the buzzing sheets, my mom did that to me and I still to this day do not sleep well....

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra View post
    Anyone else have a late bed wetter? And I dont want to hear about the buzzing sheets, my mom did that to me and I still to this day do not sleep well....

My son had the problem. The doctor put him on a very low dose of Imipramine, an antidepressant with the side effect of curing bed wetting. It worked from the first night. He stayed on it for a year or so and when we took him off of it it was over.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Anyone else have a late bed wetter?
    Bio-feedback
    When one of our boys was smaller, the teachers wanted to put him on ritalin. Some research found biofeedback could have similar results without medication. After a few sessions, the teachers thought he was on ritalin. Biofeedback is also used to treat bedwetting. It is an alternative treatment that is met with criticism, but you may want to look into it.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Well one day ( I mean night) down...he slet in underwear and did not wet the bed...I made sure to get him out of bed and to the potty before I turned the water for the shower on (I really think this may trigger the early morning bed wetting)....he did fine...going to try again tonight....he's a heavy sleeper, thats the real problem...

I am glad the meds worked for others, its not for me (or Sammy); the real problem is him being a heavy sleeper but since he startd kindergarten he goes to bed much earlier and I don't think he is as exhausted or fighting sleep like he used to, it may be the best time to try no pull ups again right now....

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Now for my latest child-rearing issue... our little girl (just over 3 years old) has started telling my husband that she doesn't like him. He'll lean down to kiss her goodbye and she'll push him away and say "No. Don't kiss me. I don't like you!" When we tuck her in at night she says "No, mommy will stay and give hugs and kisses, but I want you to leave daddy!" He disciplines her the same I do, only his voice is probably a little scarier. He is always playful and sweet to her. He's really torn up about this, and as gone so far as to accuse me of turning her against him. He's desperate to figure out why she acts like this.

What say the throbbing brain? Any insight?
    I agree with luckless. My son did this (alternatively between me and mom) and I think there are probably a number of reasons behind it - testing the unconditional love of the parents, gender identification, focus on cultivating the "special" relationship unique to each parent, etc. I would not worry about it in the slightest (though it can hurt pretty bad when it is happening). Our daughter (almost 2) hasn't done this too much yet, but I expect she will and I'm already preparing my ego not to take it personally...

For reference on things like this, we really like the Sears' book series (http://www.askdrsears.com/). Of all the literature we have consulted over the years, they have seemed the most reasonable (ie. not alarmist) in that they acknowledge that no two children are alike and that there is no one good way to be a parent. They also give good background about why children exhibit certain behaviors at certain ages which I have found very helpful and reassuring at times. I can't remember if they discuss this issue or not, but I would expect so since it is so common.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    he's a heavy sleeper, thats the real problem....
    That was the root of the problem with my youngest. He would wet the bed and sleep in it until it dried without it ever waking him. When my oldest was little and wet the bed, I always knew because his bare cold, clammy bottom would wind up in my bed. He would ditch the wet clothes and come sleep with me. That was my signal to go strip his bed. But my youngest never, ever woke up from wetting the bed.

Because he needed a lot of sleep and I was typically up until midnight, I found that it helped reduce such incidents if I got him up at midnight and made him go pee. If he did wet the bed, I made him help me strip the bed and stuff. When I realized he just couldn't help it, I felt like an abusive parent for scolding him (or whatever I had done -- this was a long time ago) and after that I never got upset with him or mad or whatever.

Your plan -- to get him up and take him to the toilet before showering -- sounds like it has very good odds of working.

My youngest didn't stop wetting the bed until he was 5 1/2. I have heard that boys tend to get with the program later than girls, on average. And it really is a developmental thing: one day, their body just works better and it stops being an issue without mom doing anything at all. In the mean time, waking him up and taking him to the toilet saves time and energy spent on doing laundry.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    That was the root of the problem with my youngest. He would wet the bed and sleep in it until it dried without it ever waking him. When my oldest was little and wet the bed, I always knew because his bare cold, clammy bottom would wind up in my bed. He would ditch the wet clothes and come sleep with me. That was my signal to go strip his bed. But my youngest never, ever woke up from wetting the bed.

Because he needed a lot of sleep and I was typically up until midnight, I found that it helped reduce such incidents if I got him up at midnight and made him go pee. If he did wet the bed, I made him help me strip the bed and stuff. When I realized he just couldn't help it, I felt like an abusive parent for scolding him (or whatever I had done -- this was a long time ago) and after that I never got upset with him or mad or whatever.

Your plan -- to get him up and take him to the toilet before showering -- sounds like it has very good odds of working.

My youngest didn't stop wetting the bed until he was 5 1/2. I have heard that boys tend to get with the program later than girls, on average. And it really is a developmental thing: one day, their body just works better and it stops being an issue without mom doing anything at all. In the mean time, waking him up and taking him to the toilet saves time and energy spent on doing laundry.
    Ughughu I do know what you mean about realizing they can't really help it. I can't help myself but to get mad at 9:00 p.m. and I go upstairs to get into bed only to remember there are no sheets on the bed and sometimes no clean ones around if its been a busy week and I get mad at him. I feel terrible for getting mad, he doesn't like it anymore than I do...I have been trying really hard to stop getting mad and made sure this morning when I woke him (for real, not to pee before my shower) I told what a "big boy" he was and to get up he didn't wet the bed...a bit of positive reinforcement after all my crabbiness at sheet washing
    and yes, the few minutes it takes to "go potty" (as much as I hate it at 1:00 a.m.) takes MUCH less time and stress than washing sheets and comforters every single day.
    I really think waking him up PRIOR to the sound of running water in the morning is the key...I'll have to see.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    My son wet the bed until he was nine. He was and still is a very heavy sleeper, and wouldn't wake up even after he wet the bed. It was almost like the day he turned nine, he just stopped. I don't know what magic it was, I guess just maturity of the bladder. It's ironic though, because he was easier to potty train than my daughter. He took three days with no accidents, she took a few weeks with many accidents.

My husband would always scold and belittle him for wetting the bed. I would get mad at him for that, because it wasn't the child's fault. He wasn't intentionally not waking up and going to the bathroom. We tried the potty pager, which slips into the underwear, and that helped to wake him and stopped the peeing activity prior to a full bed wet. It didn't really solve the problem though.

I've read not to wake the child in the middle of the night, especially if they are a heavy sleeper. They aren't fully aware of what is going on, since they aren't really awake, and this activity just takes away from the deep sleep needed by growing children.

Just be patient, do a lot of laundry, and they will grow out it if. It wasn't such a nuisance after I discovered water proof mattress pads.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by plnrgrl View post
    My son wet the bed until he was nine. He was and still is a very heavy sleeper, and wouldn't wake up even after he wet the bed. It was almost like the day he turned nine, he just stopped. I don't know what magic it was, I guess just maturity of the bladder. It's ironic though, because he was easier to potty train than my daughter. He took three days with no accidents, she took a few weeks with many accidents.

My husband would always scold and belittle him for wetting the bed. I would get mad at him for that, because it wasn't the child's fault. He wasn't intentionally not waking up and going to the bathroom. We tried the potty pager, which slips into the underwear, and that helped to wake him and stopped the peeing activity prior to a full bed wet. It didn't really solve the problem though.

I've read not to wake the child in the middle of the night, especially if they are a heavy sleeper. They aren't fully aware of what is going on, since they aren't really awake, and this activity just takes away from the deep sleep needed by growing children.

Just be patient, do a lot of laundry, and they will grow out it if. It wasn't such a nuisance after I discovered water proof mattress pads.
    Hhhmmmm, I did NOT know that about deep sleep!! Thanks!!! I will continue to wake him when I get up provided he is still dry...I am convinced he pees when he hears the shower water running.../and that would tell me he isnt in a really deep sleep IF that is when he is doing it...thankls for the advice, I did not know that!!

And a "potty pager"; that sounds a lot like what I had...I had these plastic sheets of some sort that would buzz like an alarm clock when I would pee on htem...mom would come in the room (pissed off) I would be cold and wet; shed change my sheets, I d take a bath and get back into bed...it scarred me..I do NOT sleep well to this day..I am so afraid of wetting the bed that I do not sleep well, never have...

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Drugs

Because I tend to have some "Libertarianish" views, the topic of drugs and how it relates to my son is a tough nugget. Here goes.....

My son only lived with me until he was about two years old. His mother (my first wife) eventually found her way to Ann Arbor, MI, settling in for a very long time on Ann Street, on the edge of a very-hip and quite liberal downtown "Double A".

When my son was in high school he attended Ann Arbor's "artsy-fartsy" school and eventually got caught up in the drug culture.

My ex-wife is quite liberal about drugs, too.....but we both agreed, after meeting with counselors, that our son needed to go to rehab. He was beyond the point of being a casual user.....he was a heavy user and it was affecting his grades, her personality, and his attitude about parents and authority, etc.

We agreed to send him for a month to a highly-acclaimed rehab center in Minneapolis. The plan was for me to drive up to Ann Arbor and when he walked out of the school on that "special day", I would get him in the car and take him to the airport.

He saw me and he knew something was going on. He would not get in the car. He said a few words about, "Not going to fxxxing rehab!" and ran off. He missed the arranged airplane flight.

That night, the police in Ann Arbor found him hiding in a parking garage, still carrying a "nickel bag" of dope. With their assistance, we got him on the plane and on his way to downtown Minneapolis.

The parents were not allowed to visit the kids in rehab for the first 3 weeks of the 4-week stint. At the beginning of the 4th week I drove to the Twin Cities, met the ex-wife there, and walked in to the rehab center, for "Parent's Week".

We both had already noticed a positive change in our son and we were allowed to spend a day with him, outside of the walls of the center. We had a nice day, talked a lot about life, drugs, family, relationships. We also talked about the possibility of our son moving to my home in very rural Henry County, OH. He really struggled with that thought.....he was still looking froward to getting back to see his "pals" on the streets of Ann Arbor. (We knew what that meant.....those pals, 15-17 year olds just like our son, were going to drag him back into a life of heavy using.)

During our week at the center we spent a lot of time in small group sessions, often with other parents (and often without our children in the group). You certainly can guess the motivation.....get to some of the underlying causes of addiction, including parents who use or allow use.

Side-Bar: Haunting story about one of the small group's members, a beautiful little 14-year old blonde girl named Dawn. During one of the sessions she talked about the night she was picked-up by the police. She had been gang-raped in downtown Minneapolis and the gang that did that stole her dope and stole her "boom box". She went on-and-on about the boom box, never seeming to care about the real violation of her young body.

Side-Bar, Later: A year or so later my ex-wife showed me a letter from Dawn's mother. Dawn had killed herself. Seeing that letter.....and thinking about it so many years later.....still gives me the chills.

When we all returned to Ohio and Michigan, we hoped that the rehab helped. A few weeks later I received a phone call from my son. "Dad. I'm coming to live with you. I cannot hang with all of my old friends or I will start using again."

He moved in with me and within a year he was in to hunting, fishing, motorcyles, an occasional beer.....but he no longer did drugs. Now he is approaching 40 years old and I am just so damx proud of him and how he turned out.

But Dawn's story went in a different direction.

Moral to all of this: There is no moral. Your children will be what they are. You can have a huge influence. You can try to have a huge influence and not have one. Their environment and the people they "hang" with will probably do a whole lot more to their "life presentation" than anything you say or do.

But never stop trying.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Ughughu I do know what you mean about realizing they can't really help it. I can't help myself but to get mad at 9:00 p.m. and I go upstairs to get into bed only to remember there are no sheets on the bed and sometimes no clean ones around if its been a busy week and I get mad at him.
    If it were me, I think I would seriously consider getting one more set of (extremely cheap!) sheets to save wear and tear on the relationship and on you. Being a single mom is tough enough. You both need your sleep.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    But never stop trying.

Bear
    Thanks for the inspirational story Bear. We are having an extremely hard time with our youngest teen. Skipping school, drugs, getting in fights, getting arrested. Everyone keeps giving him 'one more chance'. He takes none of them seriously. Until he sees consequences for his actions, I'm afraid his troubles will continue.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    If it were me, I think I would seriously consider getting one more set of (extremely cheap!) sheets to save wear and tear on the relationship and on you. Being a single mom is tough enough. You both need your sleep.
    Doing that this weekend...accident last night...checklist: pull-ups and cheap sheets....huhuhgghugh...he'll get it soon, I know he will...
    and your right we do need our sleep....he and I have been getting a lot more lately, I notice I am feelin better than I have in quite a while...

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I have taken a few trips with people going to treatment and or changing living situations.

Child Guard locks are not just for little people. Those are the hardest rides in the world but when they won't listen to you something has to happen.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Doing that this weekend...accident last night...checklist: pull-ups and cheap sheets....huhuhgghugh...he'll get it soon, I know he will...
    and your right we do need our sleep....he and I have been getting a lot more lately, I notice I am feelin better than I have in quite a while...
    And from a health perspective:
    I have to get up and go in the middle of the night more often when I don't feel well. My youngest son also goes to the bathroom more when he is under the weather. Scientific research has found that the old home remedy of drinking cranberry juice for urinary tract infections works because cranberry contains something which makes it hard for germs to latch on to mucus membranes. Because of my respiratory problems, I have used lots and lots of cranberry extract to good effect. If he takes pills, you can buy it in pill form. If not, you could see if he will either drink cranberry juice or eat dried cranberries (which are a yummy healthy snack).

I'm not saying he's got a urinary tract infection. I'm only saying that he may have more urge to go if he is moderately under the weather. At such times, cranberry MIGHT reduce this problem some. You would have to try it and see if it did anything. (I know being ill can make a kid wet the bed. My oldest once wet the bed when he was ill at the age of 10 -- many years after he quit doing so.)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

"Poppa, how did Momma get pregnant?"

That was the question my six and a half year old asked me last night.

So first I tried subterfuge with the pat answer "you grew in Momma's tummy." He wasn't going for that.

"How did I get into Momma's tummy?"

Do I tell him the truth? When a man and a woman have been mad at each other for a few days and then get hammered at the town's 100 year old birthday bash, they have what is called "makeup sex." Okee doke. Probably would lead to more embarassing questions.

"Go ask your Momma" seems like the chicken route, though it would have been really funny to see the wife field that one.

So, I just told him: "That is a question I will answer when you are a little older."

"Why?"

"It is about adult things you are not ready for yet."

Which he accepted. Not that he was satisfied. I think he just realized I was going to stonewall any more inquiries.

So Throbbing Brain of parents: at what age did you think your child was ready for a truthful explanation of sex?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my first daughter didn't want to know until she was in the 4th grade - we read a book together about it but it grossed her out - previous to that, it was a generic when you're married kind of thing and then when my sister got pregnant with her boyfriend at 42 yo, I had to add another layer

my second daughter is a born medical professional - she wanted to understand the mechanics from about kindergarten onward - but we haven't talked about since then and she's in the 3rd grade so yeah next year I will likely re-start the conversation

so I think the answer is you do it in layers that answer their question to the level that you think they are ready to hear - if I had shown the mechanics of baby-making to my first in kindergarten, she'd be in therapy now

and our little 3 1/2 yo? who knows when he'll be ready, he still poops in his pants

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 513
    Last post: 12 Sep 2014, 2:09 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread