+ Reply to thread
Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1691

Thread: The NEVERENDING Raising Children Thread

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    My older son was a smart but unmotivated student. When he went off to college on my $$, he had a great time but performed poorly. I stopped paying and he came home. Couldn't live under house rules so he was "invited" to find his own place. After several years of slowly succeeding in retail, he went back to school on his own dime. Straight A's, graduated cum laude in finance. Don't despair, most of them come around eventually. I did too.
    Yep, she's doing great now! I told her if she came home and chose not to pursue school it was either a full time job paying rent or military service. She's in school
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    My daughter's 4th grade class is having the first "body" talk with a nurse today.

We bought her a book to read over the weekend, and apparently my wife was able to answer any questions she had last night. I'm very interested in her response when she comes home from school today.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My daughter's 4th grade class is having the first "body" talk with a nurse today.

We bought her a book to read over the weekend, and apparently my wife was able to answer any questions she had last night. I'm very interested in her response when she comes home from school today.
    This was a wonderful book that RT and I read around that age. It's called The Care and Keeping of You published by the American Girl franchise.
    http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-A.../dp/1562476661
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    This was a wonderful book that RT and I read around that age. It's called The Care and Keeping of You published by the American Girl franchise.
    http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-A.../dp/1562476661
    That's the book that we bought!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    That's the book that we bought!
    Very appropriate and answers many questions and concerns in a straightforward way. I passed it down to my niece

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Ever wonder why anyone goes into teaching?

http://gma.yahoo.com/teacher-posted-...opstories.html
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2006

Why science teachers aren't allowed to monitor recess...

Click image for larger version

Name:	recess.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	5114
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The girl has an issue with wearing long sleeves. It's 32 freaking degrees outside and she still want to wear short sleeves, but she does wear a sweatshirt or fleece too. It's a continual morning struggle.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The girl has an issue with wearing long sleeves. It's 32 freaking degrees outside and she still want to wear short sleeves, but she does wear a sweatshirt or fleece too. It's a continual morning struggle.
    Our 9 year old is the same way. I think we're reaching the point with her that she can decide if she'll be warm or not. If not, she's old enough to remember why the next day.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Our 9 year old is the same way. I think we're reaching the point with her that she can decide if she'll be warm or not. If not, she's old enough to remember why the next day.
    Let her wear the short sleeves. She'll figure out the hard way when she's cold and you won't bring her something else to wear.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Let her wear short sleeves; it's not worth the battle.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Let her wear the short sleeves. She'll figure out the hard way when she's cold and you won't bring her something else to wear.
    Yup...we're already doing it with our 5 yr old son (the 3 & 4 yr olds still get dressed by us).
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Let her wear short sleeves; it's not worth the battle.
    Mrs. P has a problem with it more than I do. Her main issue is that she looks like she's wearing the same thing every day (well it is the same sweatshirt or fleece basically). I kinda want her to freeze her ass off so she'll figure it out. I don't want to deal with the cold or sore throat the next couple days though.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Mrs. P has a problem with it more than I do. Her main issue is that she looks like she's wearing the same thing every day (well it is the same sweatshirt or fleece basically). I kinda want her to freeze her ass off so she'll figure it out. I don't want to deal with the cold or sore throat the next couple days though.
    She won't catch a cold because she's wearing short sleeves. RT had a rotating wardrobe of fleece vests and hoodies that she wore at that age if it makes you feel any better

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    She's going to catch a cold from one of the kids at school, regardless of what she's wearing. Get her another sweatshirt or fleece: they should be on sale now. She's getting to an age where she wants to look nice. You don't have to get her a new wardrobe, but get ready for what's to come. She at least wants to look like she had more than two outfits. I remember what that was like when I was her age, and I remember what it was like for my daughter. And I don't envy you those years. I'm glad that I'm finished with it.

She's going to catch a cold from one of the kids at school, regardless of what she's wearing. Get her another sweatshirt or fleece: they should be on sale now. She's getting to an age where she wants to look nice. You don't have to get her a new wardrobe, but get ready for what's to come. She at least wants to look like she had more than two outfits. I remember what that was like when I was her age, and I remember what it was like for my daughter. And I don't envy you those years. I'm glad that I'm finished with it.
    Oh, my goodness, the clothes choices for pre-teen and early teen girls are awful! I'm glad my daughter is a tomboy because otherwise we'd be going around and around over what she could and could NOT wear.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Oh, my goodness, the clothes choices for pre-teen and early teen girls are awful! I'm glad my daughter is a tomboy because otherwise we'd be going around and around over what she could and could NOT wear.
    Lands' End was my friend in those days.

3B Rule: Boobs, butt, and belly all have to be covered (still in effect at my house even though RT is 19 and buys her own clothes)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    They have been for years. kjel and I have the same rule, except that she markets hers better that I do. My friends and I call it junior slut style.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Our is pants. For whatever reason our daughter hates pants and shorts. She wears skirts almost every day. I have no freakin clue why she hates pants, she can look really good in a pair of skinny jeans and she can rock any pair of shorts pretty well... it's a constant struggle.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Our is pants. For whatever reason our daughter hates pants and shorts. She wears skirts almost every day. I have no freakin clue why she hates pants, she can look really good in a pair of skinny jeans and she can rock any pair of shorts pretty well... it's a constant struggle.
    RT would rarely wear pants from ages 5-8. Always skirts or dresses, should would wear tights or leggings underneath when it was cold. She would wear shorts around the house during summer, but whenever we went somewhere she put on a dress. I think she was 9 when she finally wore jeans to school.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why is it a struggle? She's comforatble in skirts, and skirts are approriate most of the time.

Registered
    May 2005
    Why is it a struggle? She's comforatble in skirts, and skirts are approriate most of the time.
    Our 6 year old is also obsessed with skirts/dresses, even in Michigan winter weather. The only downside is that she is still learning that when you wear skits/dresses you can't lay on the ground with your legs up in the air. And she also puts holes in her tights/leggings on a regular basis.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    If you're biggest worry is about your girls wearing skirts and dresses. I would consider you all lucky. After all, kids could be brats, have serious medical issues, or a host of other problems.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    If you're biggest worry is about your girls wearing skirts and dresses. I would consider you all lucky. After all, kids could be brats, have serious medical issues, or a host of other problems.
    Don't take it as me complaining. I fell very lucky having the daughters I do. I just thought this thread was about the ins and outs, ups and downs, and everyday nuances of raising children. Wearing skirts and dresses isn't a big deal in the grander scheme of things, but if you have daughters its something that becomes a big issue at one point or another.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our 6 year old is also obsessed with skirts/dresses, even in Michigan winter weather. The only downside is that she is still learning that when you wear skits/dresses you can't lay on the ground with your legs up in the air. And she also puts holes in her tights/leggings on a regular basis.
    That's appropriate and expected 6 year old behavior! She'll understand the rules soon.

+ Reply to thread
Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 513
    Last post: 12 Sep 2014, 2:09 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread