Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where do older planners go

Registered
    Mar 2007

Where do older planners go

Where oh where do older planners go when they are too young to retire but yet ar viewed too old or too expensive to work as a planner.

I tried unsuccessfully for four years to find a job in planning (a field I absolutely love). I just turned 56 and now have 30 years of experience. My Mom was vey ill and I took 6 years off to take care of her full time.

I finally found my job because I happened to know the Planning Director and because of the explosive growth he needed all the help he could get. I worked for 6 months and kept my nose clean and did my job. My Director was hammered daily about things he had no control over. He finally left about 3 weeks before my probation was up.

Long story short I was terminated 2 days before my probation was up. I had moved 1800 miles to take this position. I told them something they did not want to hear and all the sudden I was history. Now I have to find another position. I've never been fired before and well it took me by surprise.

Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and start my own Consultant business. It is hard to have to compete against all the 20, 30 and 40 somethings out in the field looking for jobs these days Anyone know of any planning jobs in California that aren't entry level.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dsrtmaiden View post
    Where oh where do older planners go when they are too young to retire but yet ar viewed too old or too expensive to work as a planner.

I tried unsuccessfully for four years to find a job in planning (a field I absolutely love). I just turned 56 and now have 30 years of experience. My Mom was vey ill and I took 6 years off to take care of her full time.

I finally found my job because I happened to know the Planning Director and because of the explosive growth he needed all the help he could get. I worked for 6 months and kept my nose clean and did my job. My Director was hammered daily about things he had no control over. He finally left about 3 weeks before my probation was up.

Long story short I was terminated 2 days before my probation was up. I had moved 1800 miles to take this position. I told them something they did not want to hear and all the sudden I was history. Now I have to find another position. I've never been fired before and well it took me by surprise.

Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and start my own Consultant business. It is hard to have to compete against all the 20, 30 and 40 somethings out in the field looking for jobs these days Anyone know of any planning jobs in California that aren't entry level.
    With all of your experience, it seems like you could get a private sector gig at a consulting company--they will usually take all of the experience they can get because that's what gives them a stronger portfolio.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dsrtmaiden View post
    .... Anyone know of any planning jobs in California that aren't entry level.
    Lots of work in the Golden State. Good luck.

http://www.calapa.org/en/jobs/search.asp
    http://www.ies-apa.com/job_listings.htm
    http://www.sactoapa.org/
    http://www.la-apa.org/profdev/jobs/
    RJ is the KING of . The One

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Older AICP for hire...
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Sep 2010, 7:41 AM
  2. Our Fearless Leader is Older