Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Schools with Physical Planning Emphasis across the world

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006

Schools with Physical Planning Emphasis across the world

Hello!

I graduated with my bachelors in Urban Planning and Development from the University of Melbourne in Australia, and looking at furthering my postgraduate into Physical Planning/Urban Design/Transport Planning. Would anyone be able to recommend good physical planning/design schools across the world that they might be aware of?

I'm looking at:

UPenn, MIT, Berkeley - US
    TU Delft - Netherlands
    KTH Royal Institute of Technology - Sweden
    Bartlett - UK
    TU Berlin - Germany...

They're all masters programmes taught in English btw...

Thanks!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Well, the KTH program used to be limited to Baltic countries; I don't know when they opened it up to all international students.

In order to complete a Masters thesis here, one generally has to be very independent. Advisors are not assigned--a student must choose an advisor after two semesters. Many professors give the impression that they have more important things to do than supervise masters projects. This is because the Masters is the norm in Sweden, and such a project ('exjobb' or 'examensarbete) is done by nearly student at KTH. Your thesis proposal must look good for application, but (atleast in the program I am in) one can change it according to new interests or availability of a research project.

I can not attest to the quality of the courses in any of your areas of interest. I suggest browsing the syllabus of each course in the program.

My word of caution: the program that I am in his given me quite a luckluster impression of KTH. However, it is much broader and accepts students from too many backgrounds. If ABE is strict in their requirement that all students must have a solid background in planning/arch/LA, you might not have the same experience.

Also, you will probably not need to fret about getting admitted--many programs here use geographic 'affirmative action' in their admissions process and very few native English speakers apply. If you decide that you'd prefer other institutions, keeping KTH as a quick/easy backup might be an option.

Final note. It is dark as hell here in November. If you decide on Stockholm, make sure to leave money for going somewhere with more than 5 hours of daylight over the Christmas break. I am serious. I grew up near Chicago and live in Minnesota for 5 years. I found it horrible. The good news is that fall, spring, and summer are spectacular.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006

KTH - and other possibilities

Thanks for your help - wow I didn't know KTH admitted students from all backgrounds for their masters.

I've just taken a look at the KTH website and the programme I'm considering is the Master of Urban Planning and Design, which I know is taught in English. Is that the one you're enrolled in? If you are, could you tell me if the course is design-based?

The other relevant courses I saw that appeared interesting are the Master of Spatial Planning and Master of Transport Systems (relevant but not entirely design-based). But if I were to do Transport/Infrastructure Planning I'd probably do it in Stuttgart (recommended by an Urban design lecturer in uni).

I'm looking for a heavily design and physical planning based masters in Europe, not really keen on the US of A as I'm not keen on their style of planning and also I'm quite impressed by the non-English speaking Europeans and their style of planning.

That said, the only drawback is language barriers, although there are a couple of english speaking masters say in Germany, Sweden.

Would you have other recommendations? I was thinking of the Master of Urban Management at the Technical Universitat de Berlin...and I heard TU Dresden and TU Munich also have masters taught in english.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I'm in the Environmental Engineering/Sust. Infrastructure program. My program admits people from many backgrounds. I can't attest to how design-based the Urban Planning program is, not do I know how strictly they limit admissions to those with a Arch/Planning/LA background.

I might be able to ask Sofia Norrlander (program secretary) if there are any English-speaking students currently in the Urban Planning/Design program and get in contact with them. If they're open to talking, I could forward them to you.

(I prefer native speakers becuase I feel, based on conversations with an Irish student in my program, that despite our geographic distances, our educational expectationds seem to be relatively similar.)

I know nothing about programs in Germany. My background is actually in engineering--transitioning to more policy-based planning. I learned of KTH's program while I was studying at Chalmers (Gothenburg, Sweden) on an exchange, and not through extensive research of all programs in Europe.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by joshww81 View post
    Hello!

I graduated with my bachelors in Urban Planning and Development from the University of Melbourne in Australia, and looking at furthering my postgraduate into Physical Planning/Urban Design/Transport Planning. Would anyone be able to recommend good physical planning/design schools across the world that they might be aware of?

I'm looking at:

UPenn, MIT, Berkeley - US
    TU Delft - Netherlands
    KTH Royal Institute of Technology - Sweden
    Bartlett - UK
    TU Berlin - Germany...

They're all masters programmes taught in English btw...

Thanks!
    Check you inbox.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Feb 2010, 12:09 PM
  2. Physical planning: art skills?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Jul 2007, 9:24 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 15 Aug 2006, 1:02 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 31 Jul 2006, 11:36 PM