Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A break before starting a new job?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007

A break before starting a new job?

From an early round of resumes I sent out two weeks ago, I have been asked in for an interview at one place where I would very much like to go. I've scheduled an interview in the coming weeks. I graduate on June 9 and am not really ready to start until mid-July. My wife and I are hoping to take 4-5 weeks off and see the country before we move and I start a new job.

When should I bring this up? How should I approach it? Is this standard or do people usually start immediately after receiving an offer?

Registered
    Feb 2007

Take the time off

Take the time off and bring it up at the interview, but only if asked "when can you start." If your prospective employer really digs you, than more than likely they will be very flexible with you. I had told my employer that i would not be available to come work after graduation until late july so that i could take care of some dental work as well as take a break from 4 years of partying, err um, i meant school. As such, they were very understanding. If your uber cool like my friend's employer, maybe they might pay your for three months leave and backpack in Europe, but than again, he is in the military defense industry working on some "off-books" projects. Go figure. Good luck at the interview.

First congrats on the good news! I agree with CPSURaf -- let them know your availability only after they ask and then explain that you have a previously scheduled commitment. Good luck with the interview and have a great trip!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I agree with Gedunker.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the replies! That is what I was thinking of doing, but I wanted to see if this was 'normal,' i guess

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Break from planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 06 Oct 2005, 4:55 PM
  2. Did I break the gallery?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Mar 2005, 2:53 PM
  3. Spring Break
    Friday Afternoon Club