Our community is devoid of any public art except for a few memorial plaques. We have a developer that is interested in dedicating a portion of their landscaped front yard, at the intersection of two medium sized roads for public purposes.
Our initial opinion is to go beyond the fountain, bench, clocktower cliche and find a artist who would do a site specific commission along with other features for a nice public space. For those working in communities that have experience in commissioning public art I would appreciate some insight into the following questions:
1) Was the art located within an easement so that the public could "access", enjoy and interact with the art.
2) Budget for the artwork. (we may have about $25,000, not much in the art world)
3) Budget for maintenance and who maintained the art.
4) How was an artist found, selected (RFP?)
5) Suggested artists
6) Any other "planning" hurdles experienced
I am also tapping into our local arts scene (univeristies, galleries etc.) for more information