Urban planning community

Poll results: Where is your office located?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Main administration building; city/town/village hall, county courthouse/admin building, other

38 55.88%
  • Annex building; separate from the main adminstration building for the political subdivision

7 10.29%
  • Basement in a main administration building

4 5.88%
  • Basement in an annex building

1 1.47%
  • Temporary structure: trailer, shed, etc.

0 0%
  • MPO or regional agency, independent of a political subdivision, with its own offices.

1 1.47%
  • Not applicable: private consultant

12 17.65%
  • Not applicable: academic department, think tank, other

2 2.94%
  • Other (explain)

3 4.41%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where is your office located?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Where is your office located?

I've aways said that most planning agencies are located in either an annex, basement, or temporary structure; it's rare that you'll find the planning department offices in City Hall or a country courthouse/administration building. I'd like to see if it's true.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Consulting firm - Top floor of a class B office building

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Top floor of city hall, across the street from "Meth/SWAT Team row".
    Older downtown area.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Sorry to disappoint, but we are located in the municipal building, which is part of the four building city hall complex. Our building includes Environment & Engineering, Municipal Court, IT, Finance, Mail Room, and Utility Billing. The "One-Stop Shop" is about to move into a new modular building in the complex. The building on-site actually referred to as "City Hall" includes Administration, the City Clerk, Legal, and HR.

The complex is about four blocks from downtown and is kind-of a suburban office model layout that doesn't look like a traditional city hall. It is across the street from the library, activity center, and Walgreens. It's an awful, ugly area. The good part is I can see morons nearly get hit trying to beat the train from my window!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Ground floor of the courthouse, in the old section (not the shiney new addition). I have a window in my office, half below ground level, so I have a nice view of a concrete retaining wall, and the bottom of a sycamore tree.

We are in the 3rd floor of the county's office building where the county council is located and some county agencies.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    half of the second floor of the Town Hall. The other half of the 2nd floor contains the DPW.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My office is in a beautiful late 1920's art deco skyscraper in the heart of downtown. Most tennants in the building are typically lawyers or planning firms. Its actually a very nice environment (when the heat/air condition is working!).
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Private sector, 6th floor of a 19 story office building in a ring-suburb area. I can see Texas Stadium, Home of the Dallas Cowboys from the office windows.

Previous public sector location - 6th floor of a 25 story downtown office building, all occupied by city departments. City Hall was 2 short blocks away. Three additional downtown buildings were occupied by the city, one building for the county. County engineering was located on the edge of downtown.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We are located in the city-county building. Most of the city and county offices are in the building. Currently county planning is on the top floor facing west (Mt. Helena), with the best view in the building. However, starting next year, we are being moved two floors down and facing south. Not as good of a view, but I likely will be getting my own office!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We're in a stand-alone building. County offices are spread out all over town. The plan is to consolidate in a single building within the next two years.

Here's how the new building will look:

Last edited by Richmond Jake; 25 May 2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added new office
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Main building, although everyone is moving out to an old school for 2 years because of a much needed rehab.

Third floor of the City-County building, next to the mayor's suite of offices. Also on our floor are the controller, building inspectors, city clerk, redevelopment, economic development, sewer billing department, and the building's main meeting space.

Built in 1961, the place is way past due for a top-to-bottom overhaul. It's a wonder the electric system hasn't sent the place up in smoke.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    6-floor main office in a suburban shopping strip setting.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    The whole Village Hall is in a temporary location while we build our new Hall, which will be awesome.

Planning is in the main building with all the other departments (Finance, Building, Engineering, Health, Administration, etc). We are in a one story spec office complex that is horrible, but my cube has floor to ceiling windows facing south, so it's not too bad.

But, wait until the new building is done - woo-boy. Planning will have half of the second floor and each regular planner will have a 150 sqft office with door and windows overlooking Downtown.

New Village Hall:
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I am right across the hall from the Town Manager's/Council office and Accounting/Assessing/Clerk offices - in town hall, on first floor

I have days when I wish I had the "kingdom office" of some other departments that are in their own building, away from the shrapnel spread of town hall; but most of the time, it's more convenient to be right there

our building used to be high school, like many town halls - located at the edge of the core CBD - but not waterfront (wth, huh?)

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Ground Floor of 15 story office/parking building, four blocks from City hall. Like living 80 miles from parents - - perfect.

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post

our building used to be high school, like many town halls
    My last gig was in an old high school. It worked pretty well . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010019.jpg  
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 May 2007 at 12:21 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Work for an "evil" developer......currently housed in the middle floor of a 1930's building with my own office that has a window with a not too spectacular view but at least it opens and I can get fresh air. Main perk is being two blocks away from the beach so we go there on our lunch hour often when it's nice out.

Once the two block swath is demolished including our building it will most likely be trailer city for a while until the first phase of the new build is up and running.

When I did work for the planning department the planning office was in the basement of the county courthouse along with engineering and GIS. I had a windowless interior office but some people had offices that had windows that gave half a view like cch has.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    2nd Floor of our 2.5 year old Town Hall. Next to Town Manager's Office. Also on 2nd floor is Building, DPW, and Finance.

Nice digs....ask 'dunker...he's visited.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Second floor of the county government center, next to the surveyors and assessors offices in the downtown area.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Oh Yeah.....

I've got a small office two floors up from Satan here in Western Arizona

Ok....I'm in an annex within the administration complex.....if that makes sense....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm on the first floor of a small office building about 6 miles from the main county building (but, I'm the lone planner in the Engineering Division).

The County's Planning Dept is located in the main building. In my 7 years there, I had offices/cubes on all three floors. It's a converted old hospital which isn't the best for a functional office layout.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Currently on the back side of the first floor with windows looking at a private school. This is in a secured area with cameras. It is a seven year old two story brick building owned by the city.

My favorite building was built like a giant light house on one of the great lakes. Ships used the light to come into the harbor at night. I really enjoyed the view and loved to walk down to the harbor after work and during the evening.

I like my current place of employment but I do miss being on the water.

Registered
    May 2005
    We are in a two story 1925 brick school house on the northern edge of downtown. As a "Creative Center for Community and the Arts" we engage in both community development for Albuquerque at large - and our historically neglected neighborhood specifically (my zone - I have an MCRP from UNM) and professional development opportunities for artists. Thus, we have 42 studios, as well as a small theater, dance space, four studios, multi-purpose room, commercial kitchen and a few classrooms that can all be rented by the general public for arts or community activities. We also run a wide range of programs from art classes and poetry events to public events and a community garden. With a staff of four (soon to become five), we're pretty darn busy...

We are also attached to a toddler-through-6th grade Montessori school located directly behind us, so it has something of a campus feeling.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I am in the 1950's Courthouse. Main floor right next to the County Administrator office. in the Administration Wing. I probably have the biggest office in the wing, honestly. I am a bit of a hallway but I can shut my door for privacy.
    Sorry Dan.

At a previous job I got to help in the design of our offices and was scheduled to move into the second floor corner office. It was just awesome and turned out beautiful. That office was in the Apprasier's wing.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Sit too much in the office
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Jun 2013, 1:47 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Aug 2010, 10:29 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 01 Feb 2010, 10:21 PM