+ Reply to thread

Thread: Full page ad in USA TODAY about cypress mulch

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Full page ad in USA TODAY about cypress mulch

Warning - Sam's Law
    http://content.waterkeeper.org/docs/2007/USATad.pdf

FYI/reminder for those that attended the Philly Conference - waterkeeper president is Robert F. Kennedy.

What do think about their position about not buying cyress mulch ?

What kind of mulch do you have around your house ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I use only aged natural dark mulch. I don't believe in putting wood chips with dye in my yard. ....and I can't stand red mulch!!! It is one of the worst things every made.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I get free cedar mulch from the county mulching yard.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Not having done any research on this matter and having never even seen cypress mulch, I would assume that cypress mulch is likely a by-product of harvesting cypress. My family raises sugar cane in southwest Louisiana. Every seven to ten years a small percentage of the cypress trees in the swamp are harvested by a lumber company.

There is also a small, but steady business in harvesting fallen cypress trees from swamps and waterways. There are even specialized boats for doing it. Once sunken under the water, cypress doesn't rot. Logs can be submerged for many years and still be harvestable.

While you might chew up softwood pine for paper, pulp and so on, I don't see companies using cypress (a good, durable and weather-resistant wood) just to make mulch.

We have a cypress bench that was taken from a razed plantation house. The cypress was cut into wood before the Civil War, and, despite being in the salt air and weathering a dozen or so hurricanes, that bench is a sturdy as the day my grandfather made it back in the 1950's.

Me, I use cedar mulch
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2006
    All mulch used, should be derived from native plant material in the area.

Its simple really!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I tend to think Otterpop is correct. The cypress are not being taken down to make mulch, but the leftover material from cutting the wood makes good mulch material. (Of course, not as good as the mulch you get from ginding up an old growth redwood .)
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I'm a regular lurker here but have never posted...you all might want to check out this new video regarding cypress mulch that I received an email about today. Apparently, the cypress mulch is extremely harmful to the environment.

The video is from a group called the Gulf Restoration Network:

http://www.healthygulf.org

Thoughts???

Registered
    Jun 2007
    cardinal and otterpop.

I understand your disbelief and thought process of how plain old stupid it would be to clear cut cypress trees for mulch but Wal-Mart, Lowe's and Home Depot are doing just that!!!

The mulch used to be a byproduct of milling operations but that is ancient history.
    A simple google search will show you that this is a real problem and a completely unsustainable industry.

http://www.google.com/search?q=save+our+cypress

Jeffrey
    Internet Organizer
    http://www.saveourcypress.org

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow! That is a pretty cheesed video... Since when are black bears endangered, and bald eagles, well they are doing very well right now. And Ivory Billed Woodpeckers, well they were thought to have been a thing of the past, and that probably has less to do with logging of smaller cypress trees. It's awesome to hear signs that they are still around in small pockets. That said I think the video makes a point that is factual, in that these trees are being cut down for mulch, which is silly when you think about all the options there are for mulch. Why not use a by product that works just as well or better?

Registered
    Jan 2007
    I use pine straw, fallen from the pine trees in my yard. It's only good for a year, but it's readily available and free!

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Use mulch from material that is indigenous to your specific area, its simple really.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Here in the desert we mulch with crushed rock. It lasts forever. The indigenous plant material doesn't have much biomass!
    Adrift in a sea of beige

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 22 Sep 2009, 2:07 PM
  2. What color mulch?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 24 May 2004, 10:54 AM
  3. Full Moon
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21