Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Food planning forum, anyone?

Registered
    Jul 2006

Food planning forum, anyone?

I just attended the APA conference in Philly and while there were several sessions and workshops related to food systems planning, there wasn't the great turn-out and enthusiasm I was hoping for. Would anyone else interested in local food systems and food planning be interested in starting a forum dedicated to this (intensely interesting ) and growing area of planning?????
    I'm all for endless discussions on the subject!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Interesting topic, maybe you should start a thread on it and see how it develops - if there is enough interest, a forum can be created.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'm a CSA member at a local farm, and am devoted to our local farmer's market. unfortunately, my town only has three working farms left, and their days are numbered.

I would be curious to know what the specific topics of the sessions in Philly were about with food planning. Were they project specific?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    actually yes! some of them were site specific... I went to a workshop during which we visited several small farms on the urban (or suburban) fringe -one of them was a CSA- all of them in Chester or Montgomery counties- and we discussed tools available for not only securing ag. land but also for marketing local food (thereby gathering community support, increased income, etc.) in order to win at both ends.
    Pennsylvania seems to be open to spending a decent amount of money on easements, etc. to secure ag land- I haven't seen quite the same public support here (in the South). There are also transfer/purchase of development rights and they also discussed ag. protection areas (effectively protecting farmers from nuisance complaints, etc.)- but we are talking diversified and small-scale farming here- no real nuisance to speak of in my book!
    Where are you located?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by GreenGirl View post
    I just attended the APA conference in Philly and while there were several sessions and workshops related to food systems planning, there wasn't the great turn-out and enthusiasm I was hoping for. Would anyone else interested in local food systems and food planning be interested in starting a forum dedicated to this (intensely interesting ) and growing area of planning?????
    I'm all for endless discussions on the subject!
    IMO, it's not that likely that a sub-forum on something as specific as Food Planning would generate enough interest to sustain itself. However, if you expound on the topic a little more, it may attract more people to this thread.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I served my chapter on the APA delegation... where we reviewed the APA policy on food. It was a lively discussion... surprised the sessions weren't, I was interested in the food sessions...but they conflicted with ones that are more in line with my work.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown View post
    I would be curious to know what the specific topics of the sessions in Philly were about with food planning. Were they project specific?
    Check the list of the sessions at:
    http://www.planning.org/2007conferen...m/sessions.htm
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2007

Food Planning and the Planners Network Conference

I just found this thread, and it's been a month since the last post, but I'm wondering if anyone interested in food planning is attending the Planners Network conference in New Orleans May 30-June 2 (www.pn2007.org).

At the conference, I'm participating in a community workshop focused on the role of independent businesses in neighborhood recovery in the city, and my student interests—I'm a master's of planning student—are moving toward food systems planning as method of community self-direction. I'm going to be on the lookout for intersections of independent businesses and the food system. I'm thinking of New Orleans' famous corner groceries here, but farmer's markets and CSAs are candidates as well.

Anyway, anyone going to New Orleans in two days?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:34 AM
  2. Food planning
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Dec 2009, 10:06 AM
  3. New to planning and the forum
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Jun 2007, 10:19 AM