Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job duties

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006

Job duties

I have been working at this town since 17 months now and it looks like it is a dead end job. They hired me a junior planner right out of my graduate school. I has 2 years of enpericence prior to coming here. They already had enough planners and I am kind of never given enough attention. The director doesn't know why he needs me for apart from writing some application reviews. The planner who has been here before me is not ready to share ANY work with me and wants to keep doing everything himself to impress the director. I am aware of the process of long range planning here but not REALLY involved in any thing much. I have not been introduced to the township Mayor yet.

After mentioning to the director what I think, he suggested that I start communicating more with applicants and their professionals. Thats all. I want to work for thsi town and its a matter of making my space in between these planners. Should I look for another job that can give me more hands on experience in long range planning? How about talking informally to AICP ethics committe? I recently passed AICP test.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    If you're wondering what your purpose is there, you can bet people above you may be wondering too, especially if the time comes to trim fat out of the budget. I've never been in a situation like yours, but if I was I guess I would try to make work for myself, based on info you've gathered these past 17 months. Has there been any glaring issues, where the code may need updating, or projects anybody has mentioned the need for, if they ever get around to it. It may be something as simple as making easier-to-understand pamphlets explaining the "how to build a new home in the country" process, or handouts explaing setback regulations. and I guess you really just need to become the "contact person" for an applicant or developer, at some point. Hopefully if you ever get the chance to be the first point of contact for an applicant or developer, be sure to give them your card, and let them know they should ask for you if they ever stop in to discuss it in the future. You get a few of these under your belt, especially if they are repeat customers, and you're sure to stay pretty busy.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    cch said it very well - as we used to say in the private sector: "look billable!"

you have the opening to be the go-to person for applicants and their rep's so run with that and off-shoot projects will arise - another idea is to do public meetings on projects that are controversial where you facilitate

it sounds like it is an internally competitive office so the best thing to do is keep your head down and create your niche -

but before you do anything, write a proposal of what you want to do and why it's a good idea for the township and get the okay from the director - a good director wants to see initiative and creativity but we don't want an employee running around with new stuff that we don't know anything about - it's always for the good for the organization, make sure that's clear in your proposals

good luck - take the reins!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I'm not sure if this relates to your situation, but I have a co-worker in a similar situation to you. This particular person has never had the ability to prove their "worth" to the company and my boss continually skips over them. My viewpoint has always been that this particular person has never seized the opportunity and shown the initiative to get things done without direct supervision. Of course, you don't want to overstep your bounds, but many of the suggestions given by luckless pedestrian seem right on. Show your boss and co-workers that you can not only do the routine, but can excel when given a chance.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Thanks guys, I will hang in here for some more time and see how things go. Will keep you posted.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New duties
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 1:42 PM
  2. Variances Administrative duties
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Apr 2013, 9:10 AM
  3. Planner duties
    Career Development and Advice