+ Reply to thread

Thread: Island Silver & Spice vs Islamorada Village of Islands

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Island Silver & Spice vs Islamorada Village of Islands

Hey you Flaarida planners down there -

what's up with this case? 56 PEL 164 Florida

I just read the APA abstract from Planning and Environmental Law May 2007 p 17 entitled
    Village regulation imposing strict size limitations on national retail chains violate dormant commerce clause

does this case throw out the window any constitutionality for controlling big box chains?

I know there a lot of threads on this already but I wanted to focus on this particular case because it might be a landmark decision that goes beyond Florida..

anyone read it? thoughts?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I remember a similar case where the courts ruled that a size limitation applied only to chain retailers was unconstitutional, as there was no connection between the expected impacts of "big box" development and the issue of whether the store was a chain or independent.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2006

Lucky

As luck would have it, I happen to work in Islamorada.

Judge Moore's decision basically was twofold. The first is that the restrictions imposed unreasonable limitations due to the business models of larger, out of state businesses. The second was that although the idea behind the ordinance was to protect the community character of the Village, the Village did not demonstrate that we have any unique community character to protect.

It has caused major community uproar on both sides of the fence, as you would imagine.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by iamnyc View post
    The second was that although the idea behind the ordinance was to protect the community character of the Village, the Village did not demonstrate that we have any unique community character to protect.
    so do you think as long as you have "character" (and aren't we all a bunch of characters, yes) that you can still make an argument for chain store design review?

thanks for responding!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2006
    I think that the argument is much easier. However, there are also concerns regarding our 'design review'. What it amounted to was a limit on the size of formula retail stores to 2,000 square feet and 50 feet of frontage on US 1. Obviously, that effectively kills any possibility for a new formula retail store. We also don't have any design standards for any development.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Silver Linings for Dark Clouds
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 16 Feb 2011, 9:38 AM
  2. The Spice Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 30 Sep 2009, 10:01 PM
  3. Signal priority on MBTA Silver Line?
    Transportation Planning