Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Letting off steam break-ins

Registered
    Mar 2004

Letting off steam break-ins

Sorry for this rant.

I make it home yesterday after making a trip to Lowes to pick up some extra dirt to level out the rear yard to find my garage door wide open and my window busted out. It seems some crack-head decided he needed my lawn mower more than I did so now I am screwed.

I nailed some boards up to cover the now windowless window and went to call the police. I am told I have to file a report at the station. On my way over to the station I thought "what if I didn't have a car or was a senior? how would I do this?"

I've been toying with the idea of selling my home and moving to a safe suburb for the last couple of months. My 95 year old grandmother was the only one left in the old neighborhood that I remember, and she died at the begining of April. I bought here primarilly because my old relatives all lived in the area and wanted to be close-by to help them maintain independance. I have no reason to stay around any longer. The problem is the economy, it will take months to sell this house, even though it is in good repair. I don't want to leave the City proper, but I can't stay any longer, it is no longer safe to be where I live and I can't afford the higher end neighborhoods and would like some assurance that the police would show up when called. I am not going to leave this neighborhood for one that is worse.

Now I am going to be on the hook for a new window and the cost of a lawn mower. My deducible is kept high because I live in the City and that is the only way to keep insurance affordable.

Why do Cities make it so hard for those who are committed to stay to do so?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    There are several reasons that cities make it so hard to stay and so easy for people to leave. Part of it is beyond the control of the city, (although they should allow you to file a report and send someone out to take a look, document it, and proceed from there)

Part of the problem is that this type of behavior is often acceptable in older urban areas. If it was a suburb, someone would have started asking questions and possibly prevented the break in.

I am of the mind that a community can change only when the residents require it do so. For example, (and as bad as this sounds) I saw someone that looked like they were breaking into a house, I would scream at them “What the F(*@ do you think your doing?” and then walked up to them, possibly armed to beat the crap out of them as I ‘defend my self’… but that is not for everyone. Sad part is I could be the one who would go to jail because of that… There is a guy who was saying that he was homeless and had no job (that I have seen several times before) who asked me for money as I was leaving a pizza place. I just told him to get the F*#$ out of my neighborhood and that if he wanted a job so bad, there are plenty of farmers looking for help in the fields, so get of your lazy a$$ and make something of your self. The reason that he was there asking for money is he realized (as humbling as it might be) people would be accepting and not cause him problems there.

We as a society can not continue to tolerate such lawlessness. Our police are often stretched so thin that they don’t have the resources to deal with everything that is going on in our cities, it is up to the residents of a community to stand up for themselves once in a while and stop being the victim.

*and thus, the reason that I could never get into politics….
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I don't think that you have any reason to say "sorry for the rant"
    I would be surprised if any member of this forum would feel otherwise.
    It is some what amazing that the large cities want us to stay or return but then by their very actions at the street level discourage us to stay or return. When you have to go to the police station to file a report, this is like pulling the scab off and dumping salt on the wound.
    Like you said, what if you were a senior or did not have transportation.
    If we had the answer as to why cities make it difficult to stay, we could really do our job as planners.
    Sorry this happened to you, but am also glad that they were not waiting for you return home.
    As a side bar I would imagine that there are some enterprising souls out there who would abuse this by filing false reports because an officer does not look at the scene.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Fat Cat View post
    When you have to go to the police station to file a report, this is like pulling the scab off and dumping salt on the wound.
    Like you said, what if you were a senior or did not have transportation.
    If we had the answer as to why cities make it difficult to stay, we could really do our job as planners.

As a side bar I would imagine that there are some enterprising souls out there who would abuse this by filing false reports because an officer does not look at the scene.
    The neighbor was aware that something had happened and noticed the garage door was open at 10 am and were watching it on and off all day. Even though they had not heard or saw the break in itself (must have carted the mower out the alley entrance).

The main reason I had for filing the report was to let it be known to the City that there needs to be more cops in the neighborhoods. I can't blame the beat cops, over 500 were laid off in the last year.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have been in my home almost 10 years; it is considered a very safe neighborhood. But, I have had at least 3 attempted break-ins (including one idiot trying to open the carport door with a crowbar, in full view of the street....). The neighbors look out for each other but can't see/hear everything.

Sorry you had to go thru that but.... it's possibly better you weren't home at the time, you might have been hurt!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Sorry you had to go thru that but.... it's possibly better you weren't home at the time, you might have been hurt!
    That does not even factor, I'm 6'5", and grew up in a neighborhood that was considered much worse then, as opposed to where I live now. I know I would be able to handle crackheads, they are like cockroaches. In fact if my car was parked in front of the garage at the time they would have not even bothered breaking in as they look for the low-lying fruit.

It just hurts that it seems that no matter what I do I keep running into others that don't give a crap, or who are so used to this being the way to live, its depressing.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Sorry to hear about the break-in DP. That really makes it difficult for those trying to make the City better, especially since the reporting of the crime is made potentially onerous for the victim. But in the city with the cultural (ie management culture) and fiscal problems like Detroit, it's hard to figure out what is the best path for relieving the problem(s).

Good luck.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Property crime can happen anywhere. I am sorry to hear it happened to you.

If you love living in the the city then why are you going to let some "crack-head" take that away from you?

As for the police not coming out that is to be expected. I have had 2 cars stolen ( one car was stolen twice) and the police never came out. However they did take the report over the phone. For small property crimes with little phyiscal evidence they will use their limited resources on higher proirities.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Get yourself a mastiff... they'll let the crackhead in, then eat him.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Property crime can happen anywhere.
    I've got to agree with Brocktoon. I've lived in Dallas for 22 years and no break-ins although they've happened all around me. Police situation is about the same for response to non-ongoing, non-fatal crimes.

But...somebody broke into my country place this past year, scored an electric bass, an amplifier, a night scope and several other less important things. I do have say that the county cops were much more responsive, came quickly, took reports, pictures, etc. Haven't ever seen my goods again despite cruising pawn shops over 3 counties.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I've got to agree with Brocktoon. I've lived in Dallas for 22 years and no break-ins although they've happened all around me. Police situation is about the same for response to non-ongoing, non-fatal crimes.

But...somebody broke into my country place this past year, scored an electric bass, an amplifier, a night scope and several other less important things. I do have say that the county cops were much more responsive, came quickly, took reports, pictures, etc. Haven't ever seen my goods again despite cruising pawn shops over 3 counties.
    I've lived here 14 years now and so far the garage has been broken into twice, the car broken into three times (twice for the air bags, once to rifle through it) and stolen once. Its a royal pain in the butt.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    I like the way you think!
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Who are you going to eat the crackhead or the dog?

Feeding a a crackhead to a dog is not fair....to the dog!
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I've lived here 14 years now and so far the garage has been broken into twice, the car broken into three times (twice for the air bags, once to rifle through it) and stolen once. Its a royal pain in the butt.
    Ummm....why would someone want to steal air bags?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Ummm....why would someone want to steal air bags?
    There is a black market value for air bags, lawn mowers, ecetera..

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

hey, psst...wanna buy a lawn mower buddy?

Sorry to hear about the break in DP -

but I do think per capita that crime happens everywhere - we have a multitude of break ins way up here into vacation homes - if there's less people, then there is less crime, more people, more crime -

so I hope you are able to stay where you are, because you want to be there still - maybe plan for a camp on a lake to get away?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Letting your inner conservative out
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jan 2015, 11:19 AM
  2. Letting your inner liberal out
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 05 Nov 2012, 4:13 PM
  3. Letting out your inner two-year-old
    Friday Afternoon Club