Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public Notification Signs -- What are yours like?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Public Notification Signs -- What are yours like?

Currently our public works department puts out signs only for Board of Adjustment cases and we post no signs for rezonings though we are considering it in addition to sending the usual letters. The signs are not very specific, don't always get located in the right spot since we don't do it, and generally don't seem to be very useful.

They are made of street sign materials which make them very heavy and basically just have the meeting date/time on them for details. We would like to explore new signage with more specifics on the sign. Possibly allowing us to put them up ourselves to make sure they are in logical locations.

What kind of signage do you use for land use actions e.g. rezonings, variances, etc.? What does it look like? Composition? Do you put them out or require the petitioner? Are they action specific or general? What details are listed? Are they indestructible and thereby infinitely reusable or are they more temporary in nature with the assumption that you will have to budget for replacement? How much do they cost? etc...

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We require that notification signs be weather-proof and 30 inches high and 48 inches wide. They need a short statement of the request, the location/time/date, and contact information for the petitioner and the muni.

We don't do any sign installation or creation. It is the petitioner's responsibility. There are many sign companies around that will make the signs for people, and they range in price from $100 dollars for buying the sign to $60 dollars for renting the sign.

We require notice signs for all hearings in front of the Plan Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals. We usually don't ahve much problem with the placement of the signs, because most petitioners are sensible with placement, and we don't usually get too concerned about it as long as it is legible from the public right-of-way.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We don't do notification signs - just mailings to properties within 300 feet.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    We put out signs for Board of Adjustment (variances) and for rezonings and land use changes. Our street department puts them out, so they are made with street sign material. A changable text magnet is used for the time and date of the hearing, but the rest of the sign is in permanent text. Nothing is real detailed, just the nature of the request and the particulars of the hearing.

I know of other jurisdictions that require the applicant for the request to manufacture and place the sign. Then they ask for a photo and a notarized affirmation that the sign has been placed in the appropriate place and by the correct time that is stated in their Comprehensive Plan.

Bigger is better for unurbanized areas. Driving by one cannot always read a small sign at 50 mph, and if it is on a busy road you may get complaints if they cannot safely stop and read it. In smaller cities, you can get away with a smaller sign if there is a good pedestrian network in place.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The project planner posts the property not less than 10-days in advance of the public hearing for comp plan amendments, rezonings, variances, and CUPs. The notice includes a description of the request, applicant's name, application number, property ID#, our phone number and address to obtain additional information, and the date, time and location of the public hearing.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    We have 24x24 metal signs in metal frames that I put out about 2 weeks before the hearing. I do it as part of the site tour for both BZA and PC. I like looking at the site and it helps me with my recommendation on the staff report. The signs contain general information and ask people to call the office if they have any questions.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

We use durable laminated cardboard signs that have the basics pre-printed, then we fill in the specific info (type of request, brief description, date of the hearing). The applicant is responsible for installing the signs and making sure they are maintained for the full 10 days prior to the hearing.

Placing the signs in a location where they can not easily be seen is grounds for a postponement. (This used to be a problem before we started postponing -- not so much anymore.)

It can be a problem in neighborhoods near schools (for some reason the kids love to tear them down), and the signs are doomed if we have a prolonged wet period. Still, I've seen signs for hearings still up on properties, exposed to the elements, that are from several years ago.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    We are required to use big signs 36 x 48 with bright yellow paper with the inforamtion printed on it. The best is the CIty planners indicate where they want us to post the signs, but they rarely have visited the site in person, only through Google Earth or a city mapserver. We have posted signs at the bottow of an elevated highway so the cows could read it, sometimes its frustrating.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Aug 2008, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 07 Sep 2006, 11:04 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 08 Jan 2005, 12:43 PM
  4. Public notification (was: A vent)
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Nov 2003, 10:24 AM