Urban planning community

Poll results: Who do you think will win the Democratic Nominee for President?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clinton

9 24.32%
  • Obama

16 43.24%
  • Edwards

5 13.51%
  • Gore

4 10.81%
  • One of the others who won’t win.

3 8.11%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who do you think will win the Democratic Nominee for President?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Who do you think will win the Democratic Nominee for President?

Because this forum board is mostly democrat, I thought that we will start with who you like as the democratic nominee. Each of them have their good qualities, but some of them are better than others.

Who do you like and WHY? Who knows, if enough good is said about any of the candidates in here, it may just sway my vote! (I am still open minded)
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Because this forum board is mostly democrat, I thought that we will start with who you like as the democratic nominee. Each of them have their good qualities, but some of them are better than others.

Who do you like and WHY? Who knows, if enough good is said about any of the candidates in here, it may just sway my vote! (I am still open minded)
    Rodger Rabbit....does it really matter? I am a democrat, and look at what a great job they did fulfilling the promises that got them elected recently? It’s a joke.

Who is the Anarchist candidate? That is who I am voting for.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's too early for me to vote, I think our candidates should be in combat fatigues from here on out, they have a war to work on.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Obama is the Edwards of 2008. He'll stick around to keep it interesting. Clinton will get the nod in the end.

Gore...has no intentions of running. Could get the nod if he got in...he's got a ton of cash should he get in late. Really has turned into a grassroots candidate. If he's going to get in, it'll be later on when the GOP has settled down on its choice. I think Gore wants to know who the competition really is on both sides.

Overall, I'm not terribly inspired by the field based on who's acutally really out there. I had liked Mark Warner of VA...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm not investing a lot of time at this point in evaluating candidates. At this point, they are really just starting to develop policy proposals and such (Obama just did his semi-universal healthcare).

What I can say is that odds are a democrat will win in 2008. The republicans appear very fragmented right now--I don't see a single candidate that I think they can all stand behind. Christian fundies, a major voting block in the last election, have not voiced support for any of the perceived front-runners. Also, the republican party is critically wounded from the incredibly unpopular Iraq War and an incredibly unpopular republican president. Every republican front-runner has a major strike in some form against them when it comes to securing the nomination.

I don't think Gore will run. He has discovered that he can accomplish a lot without political constraints. Also, you know that 2000 loss was extremely painful for him, so I doubt he really wants to put himself or his family through it again. The bad part is, I'm pretty sure he would win if he threw his hat in. Gore has completely separated himself from his old robotic image and political perceptions. Also, he is really passionate about issues and, at least now when he isn't running, doesn't flip with the wind of the polls. Obviously, if he ran I would cast my vote for him. I appreciate someone who attacks things analytically while still keeping some emotion and passion. I do think that if he doesn't run, he is very likely to get brought into a cabinet-level position or otherwise a major advisor for the administration.

As it stands right now, I'd probably go with Obama unless Gore joins. He is young, articulate and optomistic. At first glance I like his healthcare proposal--I think it is something that could get some bipartisan support because it doesn't completely remove the private sector, only supplements it. I haven't read much about his other ideas, but this one seemed pretty logical and thought out. I think Obama could get the nomination if only because he is more electable than Clinton.

Clinton. Well, what can I say? She is a power-hungry carpetbagger that does whatever the pollsters tell her to, even if it means contradicting herself. Of the entire group, she seems the most politician-like. Her tendency to grandstand, frankly, annoys me. She seems to have that same robotic feel that plagued Gore during his 2000 race, likely a result of bad election advisors. We saw her policy formulation process in the badly orchestrated heathcare reform proposal in the early 90s. No thanks, I think I'll pass. A shame really, because I liked Bill Clinton.

I don't trust John Edwards. I have no idea why, but for some reason he just rubs me the wrong way.

EDIT: I like Bill Richardson as well: He'd make a good Sec. of State in my opinion.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 31 May 2007 at 2:06 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I have not made my decision and don't plan on making it until the end of the summer. There will be at least another 30 debates to help me make my decision.

I like Edwards, Obama and Richardson but I have problems with each. The differences between the Democratic candidates seem less pronounced than one the Republican side.

I think Gore is 50/50 on whether or not to run. He is losing weight, wrote a book on policy and is meeting with high profile donors who are begging him to run. I don't think he will run. He is making too much money and having too much fun talking about something he is truly passionate about.

If Bloomberg jumps in (as an independent) I will give him a serious look. He has cleaned up the mess that Giuliani made of the city and could self finance his run.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    While I prefer Obama, I will likely vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2007
    I like Obama, Clinton just rubs me the wrong way. Although, who knows what will happen. This early in the '92 and '98 races both Bill and George Jr. respectively were both relative unknowns and not running in the lead.

Aside... I am going to see Obama speak tomorrow in Seattle. He is a moving orator, it will be exciting to hear the man talk.

Registered
    May 2005
    I've said in previous posts in other threads that I thought Gore would be the next President. I'll stick to my guns.

If he decides to run, he would draw the Bill Clinton support away from Hillary and he would take away from some of the glitz that Obama's campaign has offered. Combine that with his already sizable support, and there you have it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Clinton. Well, what can I say? She is a power-hungry carpetbagger that does whatever the pollsters tell her to, even if it means contradicting herself. Of the entire group, she seems the most politician-like. Her tendency to grandstand, frankly, annoys me. She seems to have that same robotic feel that plagued Gore during his 2000 race, likely a result of bad election advisors. We saw her policy formulation process in the badly orchestrated heathcare reform proposal in the early 90s. No thanks, I think I'll pass. A shame really, because I liked Bill Clinton.
    Wow, sounds like you like her less than I do!
    If you get a chance, check you the connections between InfoUSA and the Clintons. It is sad that the media is avoiding this.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2004

ah....yeah....

Nice Poll.....

Richardson is the only viable candidate for me now......so far......
    I agree about the rant rave and cave congress now!! Ridiculous
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Mike Skis will win the democratic vote with his running-mate Bart
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'll do what I always do in the NH Primary, vote for a candidate that matches my views the most (this time looking like Richardson...previously I've voted for people like Edwards, Harkin, etc.), and vote for whomever the Dem's nominee is in the general election (with the caveat of voting for the GOP candidate if the Dem choice is horrible).
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 31 May 2007 at 4:06 PM. Reason: typo
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I prefer Obama or Clinton. I think Obama is a great candidate, but maybe that he's not quite ready this time. I hope that he develops a little more over the campaign- sometimes it looks as though he doesn't really want it though.

I also understand some of the criticism of Hillary. It's true, she's not the best speaker- but that doesn't necessarily make a good president. The first Bush and the current one aren't great speakers. Hillary suffers because Bill is such an excellent speaker.

While I don't approve of Hillary trying to weasel out of explaining her Iraq war vote (just admit it was a mistake already), I do think she has what it takes to be a good President. She's been an effective Senator for New York. She's been able to build consensus and even get a record number of Republicans to support her up there. I think she's smart and moderate- two things I value. Who cares if you wouldn't want to hang out with her at a BBQ? Why do they poll on those things anyway?

Regardless, I'll probably vote for whoever is the Democratic nominee. I'm not opposed to all Republicans, but the current ones all sound like warmongers to me.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    If you get a chance, check you the connections between InfoUSA and the Clintons. It is sad that the media is avoiding this.
    Here is a NY Times story on the Clintons and infoUSA founder Vinod Gupta

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/26/us...ss&oref=slogin

Here is one from the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052502332.html

Its sounds like they are rather cozy.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Anyone But Clinton! I think you will see a lot of conservatives giving money to Clinton during the primaries just so they can run a republican against her.

My fantansy is for Al Gore to run, get the most votes in the primaries, get his issues into the larger debate and then refuse the nomination at the convention and throw the whole thing wide open. This country and the party need a real political convention and not another rubber stamp photo-op and a much shorter election cycle.

I would like to see a Richardson-Obama ticket. I real mix of experience and hope, a governor and a senator, a westerner and a midwesterner plus a multi-ethnic ticket with a little something for almost everyone.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Hillary in '08 and '12.

Maybe the only centrist I'll ever get to vote for in my lifetime, other than Anderson in 1980.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by safege View post
    Hillary in '08 and '12.

Maybe the only centrist I'll ever get to vote for in my lifetime, other than Anderson in 1980.

Hah, put the pipe down. If you think she'd be a good president look what she has (or hasn't) done for her adopted state that she was suppose to represent. Most of her time during this term has mainly been spent campaining (out of state at NYS taxpayers expense) for the presidential nomination she says she wasn't going to run for due to the fact that she was elected to do her job as a senator for this pathetic state that keeps electing status quo "my God given right is to be a life term politician" state. Look at her past term as well. Nothing accomplished (that could be said about alot of politicians around here).

Once again I will have to write my name into the ballot.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I think Edwards will get the nod. Hillary and Obama are just too different to be accepted by so many in the party. I liked Hill when I met her (In NY! RT, Auburn, no less), she was personable, just as I'm sure Obama is, but John is the safe alternative, if not particularly exciting. I hope someone comes out of left field....
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DrumLineKid View post
    I liked Hill when I met her (In NY! RT, Auburn, no less),|

Off-topic:
    What was she doing there, visiting the prison to preach how she helped create economic growth in the redheaded bastardized stepchild known to Albany and points below as Upstate NY?

A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I really don't know who will win the nomination. I haven't even made up my own mind about which candidate is worth my vote. Edwards? Obama? Richardson? I agree with a lot of what Suburb Repairman said, esp. about Gore and Clinton. Clinton an effective senator for NY? I'm not so sure about that, even though I voted for her. She can never answer a question directly - it drives my husband crazy! The Republicans would have a field day with her as the Democratic nominee... I hope she doesn't get it.

I'm very impressed with Bill Richardson - he certainly has the experience and intellect - I'm just not sure he can win the presidency.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Off-topic:
    What was she doing there, visiting the prison to preach how she helped create economic growth in the redheaded bastardized stepchild known to Albany and points below as Upstate NY?
    It must have been an award announcement or something. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been invited. We didn't pay much attention to Downstate, or Albany for that matter....... I live in DE now, in Dover. The State is so small and the City is the Capital (is that the correct spelling?), so state politics are in our faces all the time.

DLK
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 01 Jun 2007 at 9:37 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

As a centrist Republican, I have to say that I'm more interested in the Democrats right now than the Republicans (since my party insists it must field a candidate that can carry the bible-belt-thumping south, which is not my issue, but I digress...). I really like Richardson but I just don't see him getting traction, and his answers to questions about AG Gonzalez were less-than-satisfying.

Off-topic:
    Chelsea Clinton was out campaigning for The Senator and she asked a Marine what his three biggest fears were. He answered Osama, Obama and your Momma.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    OK, do you want to know who I think is going to win or who I WANT to win?
    There is probably going to be a huge difference...
    Bring on Spring Training...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 13 Oct 2008, 7:11 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Jul 2007, 6:04 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Jan 2005, 7:21 PM
  4. Bike/ped committee nominee [Temp 2]
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8