Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I'm new; looking for guidance

Registered
    May 2007

I'm new; looking for guidance

hello everyone. im 23 yrs old attempting to get my BS in architecture and environmental design. im what you call a "late bloomer." i didnt know what career to get into untill just recently, and i am still finding out that theres EVEN MORE about the planning career i dont know of. to start, i have to admit that my grades... are average. im striving to change that by the time i receive my degree. and thats another story!! i began my college career as a ATHLETE-student. i initially declared my major as sociology, and im now realizing... I SHOULD HAVE NEVER CHANGED MAJORS!! lol. but to make a long story short, i was ill advice in which classes to take and i myself was not motivated and focused enough in my academia to notice... until recently. ive realized that i have only 4 classes to take until i receive my degree, but the dilema lies in that i cant take them all at once. i HAVE TO take them by the semester in which they over it... and they are prerequistes for the next!! yea i know... DILEMA!! but not really. im taking it in stride and i realized that it gives me time to get internships and to research my career even more. i wanted to go into local/state government but i noticed that it was more political than i cared for. so im thinking of the private sector. ive been in school since 2002 and like i said before, i was also an athlete and i never had the time to take up an internship. ive recently closed that chapter in my life and want to get the ball rolling... late but u know the saying "better late than never!" my grades arent something that any emloyer would see as a qualifying attribute, but i do have a GREAT personality. i gave been and currently am employed but not in my field. but my employer(s) will tell you that i am orgazined, i am determined, a great multitasker and have a "go getter" attitude. i am also about results, I LOVE TO WIN, and i am BILINGUAL! something that i want to always use. I am hispanic and i want to be a part of my hispanic community in the planning field.
    well, i mostly started this thread because i want to know the skills that i should "sharpen and acquire" to make myself more marketable. how do i go about getting internships, and unfortunately because of my circumstance, i cant afford to take unpaid ones. what private sectors should i research to get more defitnition and guidance into what i want my career to be? i should go on to say that i like residential community development(sustainable), transportation planning (sustainable), and redevelopment (sustainable). im going to school in maryland and i would appreciate any responses especially those that are from the mid-atlantic region. but ANY response at all will be GREATLY APPRECIATED and well absorbed. i know i said a lot so.. LATER!! lol.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    What coursework are you taking as an architecture student that is preparing you for work in the planning fields that you desire: residential community development, transportation planning, and "redevelopment? Most of these fields are strictly planning areas. When you say residential community development are you talking about residential subdivision design or community development (working with neighborhood groups, local leaders, to get planning issues across)? These are two different things.

I started in architecture in college, and the military took up a lot of my time when I was in school. Let's face it, you have to have good grades in architecture, and especially good grades if you want to work in planning with a non-planning major. Sounds to me like you have at least 4 semesters left? An architecture degree should take 4-5 years to complete. Not seven!!! (especially if you have been a full time student). I understand the athletic side, but you should have still worked with your undergraduate advisor to plan out coursework during the summer to make up for missing out on studio work during the year. In some colleges, it is impossible to do architecture and a sport.

Assuming you have 4 semesters left, you need to buckle down and get straight A's to make a mark on potential planning positions. I also recommend that you take electives in planning. You will learn more about the planning process, build a portfolio relevant to planning, which will help prepare you to look for work in planning. It is imperative to earn higher marks for these last two years: your GPA will improve and more employers look towards the grades of your last 30-60 hours as this is where most of your concentration is.

Finally, regarding internships. You live in Baltimore, MD, and I am sure there are plenty of internships in planning that accept planning, architecture, or landscape architecture students. Search through the older threads on cyburbia to find out how this has been done. Check with minority organizations for networking purposes. Finally, worst case scenario is that you have to take on a non-paying internship to gain valuable experience in planning (even students with straight A's have done it, so you are not alone).

Good luck-

Registered
    May 2007

i learn everyday!!

Thank you so much for replying.
    I am noticing how broad the planning field is. Believe me... MY GRADES ARE IMPROVING. Unfortunately, now that im on my own (no more athletic scholarship) I cant afford to take an unpaid internship; BUT I WILL TO GET WHERE I WANT!! Thanks again.

I had no idea what planning was 5 years ago when I was about to get my MBA. School in Florida was not cheap nor was the cost of living. I went to Alabama A&M to get back into school and ended up in the field of Planning. It is a very Broad field and you have to link up with a mentor that will help you guide your thoughts otherwise, you may get lost in the shuffle. There are several women in Baltimore that are Developers, Business owners, Planners and may other fields that may be willing to help you. You have to start with the end in mind and remember that the answer is always NO if you dont ask the question!

Quote Originally posted by dominimami305 View post
    Thank you so much for replying.
    I am noticing how broad the planning field is. Believe me... MY GRADES ARE IMPROVING. Unfortunately, now that im on my own (no more athletic scholarship) I cant afford to take an unpaid internship; BUT I WILL TO GET WHERE I WANT!! Thanks again.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Your situation sounds like the one I'm in. I don't let the flaws that I see get me down because there alot of people in the same situation or worse for that matter. I'm 23, asian-american, been in school since 2001, grades average, changed majors twice, and finally settled to what I label as my calling. You already seem like you know what you need to work on, so just do it! And don't let what you call your shortcomings bring you down. If you see an oppurtunity, don't pass it up, accept everything with an open mind. Even though an internship is not paid, its experience and if applications fall through, just keep your head high and let your actions speak for you. If your heart is in the right place it will show. Good luck!

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; It is not something to be waited for; it is something to be achieved, or at least attempted"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP application - guidance
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 28 Aug 2013, 4:52 PM
  2. Career Guidance
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 May 2013, 10:06 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Aug 2012, 10:07 AM