Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Atlanta metro job market

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005

Atlanta metro job market

Does anyone have any idea about jobs in Georgia in the Atlanta metro area? I'm just wondering about good resources for searching and how the market is?

Thanks!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Start with the Georgia Planning Association website - they have job postings here. What sort of planning job are you looking for - local government, state government, non-profit, consulting?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Start with the Georgia Planning Association website - they have job postings here. What sort of planning job are you looking for - local government, state government, non-profit, consulting?
    Thanks! I just finished my Master's and have been working for a COG for about a year (internship and assistantship). I think my work translates best to local government, so that's where I'm looking.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    I think my work translates best to local government, so that's where I'm looking.
    The Atlanta Regional Commission maintains a listing of local government jobs, and I'd also google the various county and city government websites and check their job boards. PM me if you have any questions about specific parts of the metro area.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Sep 2006
    I'm also interested in the Atlanta job market, but have a more specific question. Can anyone share experience with specific local governments or private firms?

I've already combed the GAPA, planning/engineering firm, and local government sites without a lot of luck. It looks like I'll have to be slightly more proactive, but does anyone have any recommendations on where to focus my efforts? My search is focused on local counties/cities, which I would prefer. I currently work for an engineering firm in a planning-research department, so I'm not opposed to the private sector. Can anyone recommend specific firms or counties/cities to at least contact? Is it proper to even post specific names or jurisdictions?

I would like to find a position in an area that I'd also like to live, so please take that into account. I really appreciate the help; I'm currently in VA and have only visited Atlanta once, but plan to relocate to take advantage of GA Tech's MCRP degree.

Registered
    May 2007
    Atlanta would seem like a ripe place for planning and development..

Registered
    Nov 2005
    If you are looking at local government jobs GPA (Georgia Planning Association) and GMA (Georgia Municipal Association) are the best places to look. In addition there are some places such as, City of Atlanta, DeKalb County, the State of Georgia Department of Community Affairs, etc that only post open positions on their own websites. You need to familiarize yourself with the cities, counties, and state agencies in Metro Atlanta and do the hunt.

As far as private firms are concerned, they do not post jobs as much. You would want to find out who the players are in the planning consulting market (which is huge in Atlanta) through various resources like GPA and personal contacts/networking. From there just send them your credentials see how it goes. Having some experience in the Atlanta area will assist you in getting work on the private side, but not necessarily required if your skill set/research is phenomenal.

To provide you an example of what I look at when making hiring decisions, my office, a suburban county, recently hired a number of positions that were open to the public. The people selected were: one had 5 yeas of experience in Atlanta and a MHP; one was a recent grad (MCP) student with a two years internship experience; and one was someone from another part of the country with a MCP degree and 2.5 years of experience. It all depends on what you can bring to the table and how you (personality) and your skill set fit into the needs of the organization at that time. Good luck on your search!
    Satellite City Enabler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Metro Atlanta transit systems
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Mar 2008, 3:37 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Sep 2007, 5:14 PM
  3. Hi from Metro Atlanta
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 13