Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: London 2012 Olympics logo

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session

London 2012 Olympics logo

it's been roundly slated over here, including an online petition of 3,000 names calling for it to be scrapped. It was only released yesterday afternoon!

What do you guys think?

Some witty scamp has likened it to Lisa Simpson doing something rather unsavoury to a chap.

here are some articles on the response to it!

BBC

The Guardian

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I saw this yesterday on the BBC and thought about posting something that related the logo to some of your leftover curry, but then decided to leave it to a Brit to be the first to make fun of this thing. You guys spend the equivalent of $800,000 for a new banding logo and end up with digital Simpson's pron. This is some leftover plot line from The Office isn't it?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    hmmm me dont like- seems a bit... well pathetic for a logo
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    You guys spend the equivalent of $800,000 for a new banding logo and end up with digital Simpson's pron. This is some leftover plot line from The Office isn't it?
    I could've rattled something up for half the price! I wish it was some big practical joke, unfortunately, it isn't.

*waits patiently for David Brent to release official Olympic anthem*

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't see it as being that inspiring or compelling of a design.

Does that so called logo need to be listed in the LAME Thread ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I don't see it as being that inspiring or compelling of a design.

Does that so called logo need to be listed in the LAME Thread ?
    no sooner said than done!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    Some witty scamp has likened it to Lisa Simpson doing something rather unsavoury to a chap.
    Yes! I can see it! LOL!!!! What is it about the human mind that we find human-shaped patterns everywhere we look?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Yes! I can see it! LOL!!!! What is it about the human mind that we find human-shaped patterns everywhere we look?
    to be fair, is there any other species that confirm or deny that they also see human-shaped patterns everywhere they look?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    It looks a lot like Europe fighting with each other to me!

Watch out for the little diomond in the center, they are going to try to annex the Suedatenland first!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

"The hands represent Britan pulling together to reveal the Olympics"

Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    What do you guys think?
    When I first saw the logo, I thought it was in Hebrew. I see a lot of Hebrew word-art that looks quite similar.

I much prefer this alternative logo that appeared on the BBC site for a couple of hours. (safe for work)

Registered
    Jan 2006
    In many ways London is the center of the graphic design universe, but that sucks.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I much prefer this alternative logo that appeared on the BBC site for a couple of hours. (safe for work)
    Two hands? Wow, wouldn't that hurt? NTTAWWT.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't want to hear any complaints from London until you end up with an Olympic mascot like this:

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    what the bejesus is that?!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    That, my friend, is Izzy - the official mascot of the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. We're still embarassed...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    That, my friend, is Izzy - the official mascot of the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. We're still embarassed...
    Consider that this was also a games where the opening ceremony included cheerleaders and solid chrome Chevy pick-up trucks. Which, when you think about it, was downright cool compared to that Izzy travesty.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I don't love it now, but I think it's pretty good. People see that logo so much that by the time the games roll around, no one will remember how it used to look like "Lisa Simpson doing something unsavory to a chap." It's memorable and unique. Not my personal taste with the zig zaggy-ness, but that's not important.

And on Izzy, no one cares about his goofiness since the Athens mascots that looked like, uh, I'm not really sure. But Izzy was better than those.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    Consider that this was also a games where the opening ceremony included cheerleaders and solid chrome Chevy pick-up trucks. Which, when you think about it, was downright cool compared to that Izzy travesty.
    You left out the Olympic Torch Cauldron that looked like it was patterned after a McDonald's french fry holder.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I think that three letters best summarize my opinion…

WTF
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    What the hell is THAT? ewwwww just ewwwww
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Samizdata, a usually-UK political blog, had the opinion that it is a perfect symbol. Some fun comments too.
    The new logo for the 2012 London Olympics has been unveiled and it has produced howls of outrage. Yet I beg to differ. I think it is perfect.

What does it look like to you? To me it is obvious: a collapsing structure of some sort, perhaps a building at the moment of demolition. The sense of downwards motion towards the bottom of the page is palpable.

Breathtaking. I mean what truly magnificent symbolism. The entire Olympic endeavour has been a massive looting spree with already grotesque cost over-runs (and it is only 2007), so surely something that conjures up images of collapse and disaster is really on the money... and speaking of money, at £400,000 (just under $800,000 USD) for the logo, it perfectly sums up the whole 'Olympic Experience' for London taxpayers.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Who knows, maybe in 5 years the logo will seem reasonable.

Whenever I see the price tag on logo designs I alway think I got into the wrong business.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2005
    OUCH! That is truly and unequivocably, well, awful. WTF?! indeed...

To me it looks like a logo designed by committee. In the current touchy EU climate, perhaps the designers were charged with a special directive "I don't care what it looks like, just so long as it doesn't look like anything in particular"

I also agree with the samizdata site that noted it has a distinctively downward/collapsing sense of movement to it. How...inspiring? No that's not the word. What is it?....Ah yes - horrifying...

And speaking of Lisa Simpson, this made me think about Homer's Springfield Olympics mascot, "springy"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails springy.gif  
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2005
    Regardless of individual opinions, the logo definitely has people talking. Doesn't that count for something? The same thing happened with Izzy in '96. It generated buzz about the Olympics and when the Games are over, who really talks about the logo anymore anyways?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    You left out the Olympic Torch Cauldron that looked like it was patterned after a McDonald's french fry holder.
    ...that still sits up there on a makeshift steel lattice "sign structure" over the street, next to Turner Field Orange parking lot. (really, it almost looks exactly like the steel sign supports over any interstate).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2012 London Olympic Games thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 104
    Last post: 13 Aug 2012, 5:16 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Sep 2006, 11:14 PM
  3. Cyburbia Logo
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 20