Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fence regulations

Registered
    Jun 2007

Fence regulations

I'm trying to research fencing regulations in ordinances or building codes so that I can help write a new subdivision regulation to make sure fences stay up. My city currently has a fencing regulation in place that has the standard visual designations and quality standards, but our P&Z commission wants something more, preferably addressing engineering and construction methods to help keep fences standing because we are in a Zone 5 wind area. Has anyone known of any cities who have adopted similar stringent controls that I can research?
    Or, does anyone have any references I can use to determine appropriate standards? I've already checked the ICC and local municipal codes to try to find info. I even looked at codes in areas known for high winds such as northwestern Oklahoma, the Dakotas, some other places on the high plains, and some places in central California.

Thanks for any help you can give.

TexanOkie

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Brick and mortar stands up to wind very well.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I would recommend no solid fencing. Everything should be open (like picket) or semi-open (like board-on-board, shadowbox). This allows for the freer flow of air through the fence and reduces the wind load placed on the fence (doesn't act like a sail).
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fence regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jan 2009, 6:12 PM
  2. Fence Requirements
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Jul 2003, 11:46 AM
  3. Fence setback