Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: CommunityViz planning software

Registered
    Jun 2007

CommunityViz planning software

Hi,
    I am working with an institution called NEMAC (National Environmental Modeling and Analysis Center) and have begun toying with the CommunityViz extension for ArcInfo. The program seems pretty quirky and I was wondering if anyone else out there had much experience with it and what they thought. Here's a post on it if you want more information.

I've never used it myself, but I know people that have. They feel that it is buggy and prone to crashing and that tech support for it is not very helpful. One issue that they were having with it, and I'm not sure if they still are, is that it was not making some very basic calculations so you might want to double check your work. For instance if you said that there were 100 parcels and put houses on 50 of them, and then tried to add more houses, it wasn't always recognizing that there were houses already on some of the parcels so you could end up with two houses on a parcel.

I know that there was also a compatibility issue with the latest version of ArcInfo initially but I'm assuming that it has been resolved.

Registered
    Jun 2007

CommunityViz

I use CommViz 2.0 with ArcView 9.1. When we got our ArcView 9.2 and I installed CommViz 2.0 on it, it crashed all the time. I look on the message boards occasionally and see that they have made a new version, 3.2 and it SEEMS to work a lot better.

When I was using it regularly, it was kinda quirky. I would make an analyis do some other stuff and come back the next day and everything would fail. It was like I had to a lot of extra stuff just to get it to work correctly. I am hesitant about asking for another license since I had a lot of issues with the last version.

Registered
    Jun 2007

thanks...

Thanks for the replies... I was noticing that it was relatively buggy and not well documented. I was hoping it was not just my lack of experience though.

Registered
    Jun 2007

Which Version

just wondering if you've got the latest version or not? i'm still thinking about asking for a new license.
    thx

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 14 Apr 2014, 2:49 PM
  2. Software Use of CommunityViz for planning
    Information Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Jul 2012, 4:57 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Mar 2009, 8:14 AM
  4. Planning software wish list