Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Landscape architecture vs environmental engineering

Registered
    Apr 2006

Landscape architecture vs environmental engineering

Hi All,

For those that are either landscape architects or environmental engineers, could you please list some similarities and differences between the fields. Although I am interested in pursuing an MLA, it's been suggested that I also look into environmental engineering as a possible career choice.

Please advise.

Thanks,

English Ivy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Damn. For once, I have nothing. I've never worked with an environmental engineer. Wait - don't they design wastewater treatment plants & stuff? Extrapolating from what I *do* know generally about engineers, it'd be boring, unconcerned with aesthetics, and probably pay better.

From what I've heard from you in the past, though, it sounds like a MLA is a pretty good fit. Has anything changed about what you want to do?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Hi bdaleray,

It's always good to hear from you! No, nothing has changed as far as my interests. However, it was suggested by a few people that I look into environmental engineering as another option. I'm just looking for some insight and advice on the field...and so far, I've heard that engineering can be boring and uncreative.

As always, thanks for you insight bdaleray.

English Ivy

Registered
    Dec 2003
    What schools have you looked into? I suggest you give Jean Marie Hartman at Rutgers LA dept. a call, and you might want to visit, since you are in NY. She is big in the environmental restoration field. They have Env Engineering at that campus as well, so you could meet some of their professors on the same visit. The Env. Engineers that I've worked with seem to know a lot about wastewater treatment and storm water pollution control. Its very science based, and if that's what you're into, you'd get into it. And yes, it does pay better. I think one reason engineers are able to operate at a better profit is that they have formulas for everything and ready-made details that they always use. Nothing is ever uniquely designed, there isn't much original thought.

Some LAs I've known who are really into ecological restoration are involved with the Societt for Ecological Restoration, so you might want to look them up.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 12:03 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Nov 2009, 12:00 AM
  3. Landscape architecture - environmental planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 May 2006, 9:48 PM