Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone familiar with Flashpaper

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Anyone familiar with Flashpaper

I have used this product when building my personal website. It's an awesome tool, but just wanted to know what other people have to say.

Registered
    Feb 2007

Flashpaper?

The only flash paper I knew of was used for magicians or garage band stage shows. That was also the stuff bookies kept their notes on. When the cops came, they could ignite it with a cigarette and it would burn immediately.

I know, nobody likes a smart a**

DLK
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

Flashpaper

Thanks for the pointer - it looks quite useful.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy it myself, however, as I'd be happy for the browser to open the pdf file as normal. Also, html content tends to be easier to read. I suppose it gives you more flexibility to switch between flash content and pdfs?

We use quite a neat tool called KoolMoves to generate flash movies. It's affordable and quite easy to get the hang of.

I hadn't heard about the paper that bookies use - might be quite handy for design offices. If the boss doesn't like a design they can just stub a cigarette on to the drawing board...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    The main reason I use Flashpaper is so that viewers can zoom into images either on CD or on a website. Many people just put up a small thumbnail of the image they are trying to save. The small size and the low-resolution make it difficult if not impossible to read. Some people go one step more and use the image thumbnail as a button: you click on the button and a new page pops up with microsoft internet explorer buttons to allow you to zoom in "once".

Well, FlashPaper takes you one step further, and lets you zoom into these images by several hundred times. For example, let's say you have a site plan saved as a AutoCAD dwg, Photoshop psd, or jpeg, pdf, tiff, eps, fla (flash), etc. This site plan measures 30"x48" and you do not want want to reduce the size and/or resolution. Printing to Flashpaper converts that image file into an swf. file, which takes up much less space. I have been able to convert PDF graphics that were mor than 20mb down to less than a 1 mb. swf file. You need to have flash player installed on your internet browser in order to read swf files. However, swf. files cannot be edited, they can only be viewed.

I agree that Adobe Acrobat is much more useful when it comes to producing documents as PDFs and Flashpaper for images. I do not care too much for the new format of Adobe Acrobat Reader, but I am getting the hang of it.

Hope this helps-

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS Certification - anyone familiar with it?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Mar 2009, 12:43 PM
  2. Out of Familiar Context
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 16 Nov 2007, 8:19 PM
  3. Anyone familiar with NACo?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 3:04 PM
  4. Replies: 9