Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Emergency response planning

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Emergency response planning

(Mods, move this if necessary)

In the EOC meeting this afternoon, I learned that the planning division was responsible for identifying locations for emergency housing for folks that did not evacuate in a timely fashion before the event (read that "the hurricane made landfall"). This was a surprise. (Nice time to bring this up...a week after hurricane season started.)

Any Florida folks familiar with this topic who can give advice?

I'm going to miss damage assessment.....
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    In the EOC meeting this afternoon, I learned that the planning division was responsible for identifying locations for emergency housing for folks that did not evacuate in a timely fashion before the event (read that "the hurricane made landfall").
    Any Florida folks familiar with this topic who can give advice?
    OK, I am not from Florida, but do have EOC/Emergency Planning experience.
    I would read that as a "shelter";
    What is your working relationship with the ARC ? and
    Are they on board with this task ? Are they willing to open a shelter in this situation, if not who will operate these shelters and are they trained ?

Do you know if the Building Inspection Dept has checked out the ARC list of shelters ? including the elevation certificate and roof system.

Also once you see the ARC shelter list council them to remove from their list any place in the surge and/or "V" zone if they had not already.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    If you want, I know some EM planners I can hook you up with in the lovely Sunshine State. Otherwise, check out a good plan from St. Johns County.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah....

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    OK, I am not from Florida, but do have EOC/Emergency Planning experience.
    I would read that as a "shelter";
    What is your working relationship with the ARC ? and
    Are they on board with this task ? Are they willing to open a shelter in this situation, if not who will operate these shelters and are they trained ?

Do you know if the Building Inspection Dept has checked out the ARC list of shelters ? including the elevation certificate and roof system.

Also once you see the ARC shelter list council them to remove from their list any place in the surge and/or "V" zone if they had not already.
    What he said

Shelters should be pre-identified for those living in substandard housing units (mobiles, RV's & Park Models, older homes/apartments...) that cannot evacuate for whatever reason. In Broward, they were setup mostly in schools that were recently built and opened when mandatory evacuation orders went out for those neighborhoods considered "highest" threat. This seemed to work well during Wilma and I'm convinced that a lot of people got to keep living because of it.....The ARC are the professional shelter runners (a little bit of Bush slang here) and as such, should be the go to resource unless you have staff trained in such operations.

RJ, what level of NIMS training do you and your staff have now?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    .....RJ, what level of NIMS training do you and your staff have now?
    Oh, I don't know. My development review engineer and I have certificates out the wazzou. I'll have to check that tomorrow. Everyone else on staff has the basics.

The ARC and county have ID's the shelter sites, including special needs. I'm just not sure what my role is at this point. It's a new position in the EOC.

I'll say it again, I'm gonna miss damage assessment. Flashing ID, driving around during curfews, going through roadblocks. Good times.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah....

Oh, I don't know. My development review engineer and I have certificates out the wazzou. I'll have to check that tomorrow. Everyone else on staff has the basics.

The ARC and county have ID's the shelter sites, including special needs. I'm just not sure what my role is at this point. It's a new position in the EOC.

I'll say it again, I'm gonna miss damage assessment. Flashing ID, driving around during curfews, going through roadblocks. Good times.
    Being glued to the EOC does have the added advantage of lowering the likelihood of a light pole falling on your head or being swallowed by a raging river..... Obviously you haven't been exposed to the mountain of paperwork the feds require now while doing damage assessments.....or have you and just don't mind?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Being glued to the EOC does have the added advantage of lowering the likelihood of a light pole falling on your head or being swallowed by a raging river.....
    The problem is, our EOC is in a Cat 1 evacuation zone and within the 100-year flood. Bright idea, huh? If it looks real bad, they'll activate up at FHP. But the facility is very small.

I'm in the Tier 2 group so I can't leave the county and must report to the EOC 12 hours after the event goes through. Tier 1 (first responders) goes in 8 hours before it hits.

Registered
    Mar 2004

No WAY!

The problem is, our EOC is in a Cat 1 evacuation zone and within the 100-year flood. Bright idea, huh? If it looks real bad, they'll activate up at FHP. But the facility is very small.

I'm in the Tier 2 group so I can't leave the county and must report to the EOC 12 hours after the event goes through. Tier 1 (first responders) goes in 8 hours before it hits.
    That's just plum crazy! Ahh........is your EOC located on a floating dock in the Gulf!! In Broward County (most of the urban area is in a flood zone), Cat 1&2 evac areas were the barrier islands and mobile home parks:

http://www.broward.org/hurricane/pdf...ricane_map.pdf
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Environmental hazards and emergency planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 May 2011, 4:20 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 Mar 2010, 2:51 PM
  3. Replies: 64
    Last post: 28 Oct 2009, 7:59 PM