Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where are the planners?

Registered
    May 2007

Where are the planners?

ok, i've been looking around and i mostly see a demand for civil engineers or techs of some kind (damn u techies!! well not really, just now cuz im upset). Whats up with that??? where are the planners? why arent we in demand? where can some one that actually wants to do PLANNING and not engineering go (private or public/ non-profit, for-profit... anything!!)? where do we students go to get experience if most of the market is asking for engineers and people with technical degrees or in pursuit of one? voluteering cant be the answer to everything!!! where do we fit? what do we do? <<<ridiculous question i know, but still, indulge me please!!

i guess im feeling frustrated because
    1) im not in a technical degree seeking program everyone else seems to be in. (so lonely )
    2) i want to work with communities not numbers and computers etc...
    3) i am in a undergratuate architecture/planning program and will seek a master in planning. what im getting out of my massive researching isthat i shouldve stuck with sociology as undergrad (wouldve graduated on time too!! ) and then my masters in planning

i feel hopeless!! GOSH DARN IT!!!
    Last edited by dominimami305; 12 Jun 2007 at 8:49 AM. Reason: extra venting

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Are you checking the APA Job Board? There are usually a few engineering or gis jobs scattered in there, but for the most part they are all planning.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    also check out the local state chapter APA websites.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2007

Md Apa???

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    also check out the local state chapter APA websites.
    Is not active from what im hearing. I PM a fellow cyburbian about it. Hopefuly he has some information.

Registered
    Feb 2007

go west my friend

Planners...trust me. They are needed here out west. Check out the link i am providing from the Cal APA website to just give you a taste of what is out there.

http://www.calapa.org/en/jobs/search.asp

Oh, and the City of Beverly Hills is hiring...just an FYI

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Come on down to the South. Jobs for planners are plentiful down here!

Like most occupations, you need to go where the jobs are. I do not know too many people that do venture capital in Lexington, Kentucky (no offense Lexington). Why; because that is not where biotech and technological research is occurring. To do that you go to San Francisco/Silicon Valley, Boston, Austin, etc. Well, in planning, you go where people want to move. People are moving out to the mountain west, south west, and down to the deep south. That’s where the jobs are. You will have a much easier time breaking into this little cliché of a profession to start your career due to the increased numbers of opportunities. Good luck!
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Lots of jobs in Florida, surprisingly. (There's such a "government spends too much and should cut back" trend here right now). Here's a link to current job openings: http://www.floridaplanning.org/jobs2.asp

I agree that you need to look where the development is, especially if you're just starting out.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 20 Feb 2011, 12:24 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Feb 2011, 4:10 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Dec 2004, 1:51 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Mar 2004, 12:16 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Mar 2000, 7:36 PM