Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Explain Your Avatar:AIB HFH

Registered
    Feb 2004

Explain Your Avatar:AIB HFH

I know this comes up occasionally and has been dealt with piecemeal a number of times before, but let's put it once and for all into one handy location for our own edification/reference.....

Why did you select your avatar and what is its significance?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I thought that using SNL's Unfrozen Cavemen Lawyer would work well as Unfrozen Cavemen Planner. Plus the shot that I have is pretty good too.
    Last edited by mendelman; 26 Feb 2009 at 3:06 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Dual meaning:
    Me like beer
    Mrs. P likes Franziskaner Hefeweisen
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I like Beer (I think it's a Planner requirement ).
    I live in the Dallas (Texas!) area.
    I'm proud to be a Texan!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My avatar is Cami, one of my favorite prankster puppets on the show Crank Yankers. I picked her cause she's female, and she's on the phone, just like I am a lot at my job.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Brawny spokesman looks like a gay gentrifier.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My avatar was selected from Uncle Dan's stock avatar list (I can't believe how many of the danged things there are to choose from!)

My avatar is a character from one of my favorite comics - This Modern World He appears occasionally in various roles as a sort of generic liberal-college-professor-type guy. The implication being that I am: 1. a comic book character (I am in reality a fictitious character - a sockpuppet created by Uncle Dan for entertainment purposes. The person you see appearing in all the Alefest photos is in fact an actor that Uncle Dan and Michaelskis pay to attend and help give believability and form to the 'Maister' character); and 2. a liberal-college-professor-type guy.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    1) I like the ladies
    2) I like champagne
    3) I am smooth and sophisticated
    4) I think Christopher Walken is a total hoot as The Continental
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    Its a man with jetpack! What more explanation is needed?! Its the height of cool to have a jetpack! Just liek planners are the height of cool...

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Mine is a photo of Alfred Packer, Colorado's most famous cannibal. Packer was convicted of killing and eating his traveling companions while trapped in heavy snows in the Rocky Mountains. Packer admitted to eating his companions but always denied killing them. Legend has it that the judge at his trial said "Damn you Alfred Packer! There were seven Dimmycrats in Hinsdale County and you ate five of them!"

Registered
    Jul 2002

Mine is John Lennon. "All we are saying is give peace a chance." (And to irritate El Guapo, wherever he is.)
    Last edited by Tom R; 12 Jun 2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Needed more explanation
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like Law and Order...AIB a thread long time ago about a law and order logo generator
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Big 4 Railroad depot - Mattoon, Illinois, that met its fate April 9, 2004

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my current avatar is a mommy alligator with a baby alligator joy-riding on her back. alligators remind me of my time in Louisiana, and the look on the baby alligator's face is v. cute.

i'm sure the avatar will change again in the future.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    going slightly off topic, what does the TLA 'AIB' stand for?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    going slightly off topic, what does the TLA 'AIB' stand for?
    Off-topic:
    'As Inspired By'

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My avatar is indicative of a life and personally characterized by class, style and sophistication.

And when I drink it, red wine makes me happy.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like Boston Terriers: clowns of the dog world and I'm kind of a clown myself
    I like Beer.
    Therefore, I like Boston Terriers that drink beer.

Really, I think if I could teach my dog to drink beer from a glass like that, I will have reached the pinnacle of my existance.

I've had this avatar ever since I reached 25 posts, so I guess its been around 3-4 years.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    my avatar switches depending on the mood I am in. My current one is of a fat guy, wearing a bicycle helmet and goggles, smoking. it made me laugh when i saw it and had to share.

Previous ones have included authors, donkey based images, musicians, comic book characters.

I am starting to feel a need to change soon, not sure what to though.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I resemble my avatar. I tend to have messy dark hair, thinner build and a goatee.

This is Trent from Daria; a five season long cartoon on MTV (now occasionally on "the N".)

Trent is a musician and slacker and quite philosophical. I figure he represents me in both looks and personality.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Geddy Lee the bassist and frontman for the Power Trio of all Power Trios*, Rush

*-Also Known As the greatest thing to come from Rock and Roll EVER!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Miles Davis

Jazz Musician
    Aloof
    Can be a jerk

just like me

Birth of the Cool is one of his earliest albums, and best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_of_the_Cool

Registered
    Nov 2005
    The little dude in my avatar was lifted from my favorite Onion article.
    Quote Originally posted by The Onion
    "From the number of improper buttons made—I've personally seen at least 50—this was not limited to the nine kids in detention," Orlowski said. "As far as I'm concerned, everyone wearing a button not related to the student-council elections is guilty. From the look of things, that's almost everyone."
    We had a Badge-a-Minit in my elementary school and I always dreamed of just going crazy with it. Jordy Cohn's grin and button just make me giggle every time I see it.

I'm not wedded to any particular avatar -- like donk, this one suits my mood right now. A fun project that should have really been sweet has gone sour fast. Kind of blowing up in Calvin's face, as it were.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Hot woman standing in the middle of chaos.

Plus I like the movie Shawshank Redemption.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 10 Jan 2014, 6:53 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 6:20 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 06 Apr 2005, 4:28 PM
  4. Can Someone Explain?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 78