Urban planning community

Poll results: Who should replace Bob Barker?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mark Steines ("Entertainment Tonight" veteran)

1 5.26%
  • Todd Newton (Host of "Whammy" and the Las Vegas "TPIR" stage show)

1 5.26%
  • George Hamilton (Well-Tanned Actor)

5 26.32%
  • Other - Please Name In Your Post

12 63.16%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Goodbye Bob Barker

Registered
    Aug 2001

Goodbye Bob Barker

Well, for those of you who are not playing the home version of the game...this is Bob's last week of original "Price Is Right" shows. His finale is this Friday.

I'm going to miss Bob and not sure how I'll feel about any replacement. It was hard to lose Rod Roddy years ago (I'm too young to remember the death of Johnny Olsen

Bob only missed 3 tapings in 35 years, in December 1974. I'm sure none of us can boast such an attendance record but it may not be fair because if he was sick after that time, tapings were rescheduled.

I share my birthday with Bob. I regret not being able to make it to the show in all my years. I would have pulled it off this year, but wedding planning has diverted my former discretionary budget. But I got a concession out of it. To pay homage to Bob, at our wedding reception, we are planning to enter the room to the "Price Is Right" music...just like the show's introduction!

What are your favorite memories of the show? Favorite games?

I always love a double showcase winner. And I think that Cliffhanger is my favorite game...a true classic!

Not sure who would be the best replacement but I'm voting for Todd Newton right now. He has some game show experience and has done the TPIR in Vegas.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I have vivid memories of watching Bob and the girls on summer mornings with my Granma. If Cliffhanger is the game with the Alpine Yodeler, that is also my favorite game. I've only seen one person win the max. money on the 'wheel' and then win both showcase showdowns.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2005
    when i was little i used to watch it everyday with my babysitter. my favorite game was Plinko!

in college my friend and i went to visit friends in Santa Monica. while there we went to a taping of the Price Is Right. we had a good time tho we had to wait in line for hours for tickets, to audition, and then to get seated. one of the girls we were with actually made it to contestants row but just ended up with the conciliation prizes.

and no one can replace Bob.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Got to see it live in January on our honeymoon, we had a layover in LA but made it a 2 day layover just to see the show. The show live is amazing and Bob doesn't miss a beat, the taping is only 75 minutes so it runs just about as fast as it does on TV. It is so exciting that the next name called could be yours. I will miss Bob, spent a lot of time in college watching TPIR and as a kid was right behind Sesame Street as my favorite shows.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I was never much of a Price is Right fan but I did watch it in the summer as a child.

I agree with Dandy and that Bob Barker is irreplaceable. They should cancel the show, he was the Price is Right...even more so than Rod Rowdy and those flamboyant jackets.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Gotta go with John O'Hurley (aka Peterman on Seinfeld). I love him, and I heard he's in the running.

Side note: in the final episode, to air friday (during the day and in the evening) a woman from my neck of the woods wins the showcase showdown.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Gotta go with John O'Hurley (aka Peterman on Seinfeld). I love him, and I heard he's in the running.

Side note: in the final episode, to air friday (during the day and in the evening) a woman from my neck of the woods wins the showcase showdown.
    Thanks for ruining it for me...now I won't bother to watch...
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Ugh Gag me... I went to a taping of the Family Feud with O'Hurley as the host. He's horrible, a Hollywood hack, his jokes suck, he can't work a crowd, and he's so freakin' light in the loafers it's disgusting how he prances around that stage... hate him hate him hate him.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Brian Dunkleman!

Come on, he was one of the original no-talent hosts of American Idol... I think it is time that America gives him a second chance. I also think that they should update the set along with a new host.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2004

well....

There needs to be a price is right International Version.....one where people guess the prices of products in third world countries or the developing world.....would be a funny show and SHOCKING to most American's who DON'T have a clue how much stuff costs in other parts of the world.....

A washing machine in Bhutan.....

A candy bar in Sri Lanka

You get the picture......

By the way, this idea is my idea as of June 12, 2007, and if this show appears on tv, I WILL SUE THE CRAP out of the network and everyone associated, unless I get BANK!!!! Just a warning to all those scumbag producers that steal ideas from us common folk.......$$$
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I actually have Bob Barker's autograph in my scrapbook. I loved the show as a child and my mom wrote Bob, who obligingly sent it. As for a replacement...how about Ted McGinley? He brings down everything...(see jumptheshark.com if you don't know about Ted McGinley's skills.)
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    There needs to be a price is right International Version.....one where people guess the prices of products in third world countries or the developing world.....would be a funny show and SHOCKING to most American's who DON'T have a clue how much stuff costs in other parts of the world.....
    $The Price Is Right$
    --Free Trade--

You never know. Wite the idea down and mail it to yourself...poor man's copyright.

FYI: Bob Barker stopped dyeing his hair years ago to protest the testing of hair dye on animals.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner View post

FYI: Bob Barker stopped dyeing his hair years ago to protest the testing of hair dye on animals.
    I remember the day I tuned in, the first day he went all natural. Man, it took some getting use to.

My favorite game is The Race Game cause everybody always loses their cool with that one. I also like Safe Crackers because of the giant safe prop and dramatics that go into that one.

Ben Stein. Anyone who saw Win Ben Stein's Money would have to agree.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I had to go for the "Tan In A Can" man lol.

GeogPlanner....we have the same birthday!

My favorite games were Plinko and Cliffhanger. I also liked when Bob managed to sink the ball in the putt-putt game when the contestant couldn't do it. I used to watch TPIR during my summer vacations.

I remember seeing a bloopers show once featuring a woman who was wearing a tube top with nothing under it...she was running down that aisle after they called her name and the world came tumbling out!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Go with somebody having a proven track record for a replacement: Chuck Barris, creator of the $1.98 Beauty Show and producer and host of The Gong Show. That's my choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gong_Show
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Bob Barker is not replaceable. There will never be another Bob Barker

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Regis Philben, of course!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Bill Cullen was better...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Rosie O'Donnell needs a job. (I winder if she can go back to being a VJ on VH-1?)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have not watched in decades, have not been paying any attention and don't really care.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I have watched this game show ever since I was like 3 years old and would watch it with Grandma and Grandpa over at their house. I would continue to watch it for nearly 2 decades, mainly in the summer or when I was sick, and also lately at college when I didn't have class!

The show's just not going to be the same without Bob.

My personal all-time favorite is Plinko. I also like the push-over game...where you push over the number to line up the price of the car.

I, too, regret never having made it on to the show while he was on.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Rosie O'Donnell needs a job. (I winder if she can go back to being a VJ on VH-1?)
    there you go... Rosie... lol! I agree with cancelling the show.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Apr 2008, 8:06 AM
  2. Goodbye, Dan (Rather)...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 23 Nov 2004, 8:46 PM
  3. Goodbye Peter Park