Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mixed use railway infill - help!

Mixed use railway infill - help!

Can someone pleeeeeease help me out here. I was at the CCAPA conference in October. At one of the breakout sessions, I saw a picture of a downtown infill project where they built a mixed-use apartment building right over the top of an existing active railway. The train actually drove right through the lower level of the building. Does anyone recall this and where I might get ahold of some pictures? Any thoughts will help. Thanks so much.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There are countless instances of commercial and residential buildings being built in the 'air rights' above transportation facilities, including railroads and highways.

Examples that come to my mind offhand include the high-rise apartment buildings built over the Trans-Manhattan Expressway (I-95) in NYC, McCormick Place and the (new) central USPost Office in Chicago (built over active railroad trackage) and the various things built over the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) in Boston, etc.

If the economics dictate and a deal can be worked out, why not?

Mike

     
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Except for two blocks, all of Chicago Union Station lies beneath office buildings. Also in Chicago, Millennium Park was built above Randolph Street Station, as well as an underground parking garage. The hundreds of miles of railroad track surrounding downtown Chicago often necessitate building over those tracks as the high land values dictate.

Also, Grand Central Station in NYC spans two wide Midtown blocks, and is several blocks long. All of these blocks have been covered with tall buildings.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ardecila View post
    Except for two blocks, all of Chicago Union Station lies beneath office buildings. Also in Chicago, Millennium Park was built above Randolph Street Station, as well as an underground parking garage. The hundreds of miles of railroad track surrounding downtown Chicago often necessitate building over those tracks as the high land values dictate.

Also, Grand Central Station in NYC spans two wide Midtown blocks, and is several blocks long. All of these blocks have been covered with tall buildings.
    There is also an active proposal for a bunch of truly MASSIVE new office buildings, along with a new Madison Square Garden, all to be built over the the NEC, a new Penn Station and an adjacent coach yard in Midtown Manhattan. If built, some of these buildings will be big enough to look down on the nearby ESB.

Stay tuned.

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The Gallery at Market East in Philly has stations for PATCO (Commuter rail service to NJ), SEPTA blue line (Subway & Elevated), and SEPTA regional rail line (Commuter highspeed rail).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2007

Pasadena

It's probably the Del Mar Station in Pasadena California. Google Del Mar and you'll get a bunch of pictures.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 22 Sep 2008, 3:22 PM
  2. The Illinois Railway Museum
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Dec 2005, 11:15 PM
  3. (Korea) Automated railway developed
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 01 Aug 2005, 11:10 PM