Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Placement of communication towers

Registered
    Aug 2006

Placement of communication towers

Would like to get Cyburbian input on this one:
    What are communication towers compatible with? I have a case coming up with some communication towers (the tallest being 150') being proposed in the middle of some farm ground. There is a small residential development approximately 1500' to the east, and a couple of assorted farm houses in the vicinity. Inappropriate?
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Maybe not "inappropriate, but certainly not the best.

If you have high power transmission lines running through your jurisdiction, that would be a better location or on top of the towers.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2006
    See, it's difficult for me to understand why everyone has such a fit about it. Is it purely an aesthetic thing? If so, how much worse can it be than old farm buildings with cow sh** all over them, peeling paint, etc.?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The question of appropriateness to me has to do with whether there are better locations within a reasonable distance of the site proposed. Due to their size, comm towers really aren't "compatible" with much of anything--kind of a necessary evil.

I'm a huge fan of hiding them inside objects, particularly church steeples (sp?) in small towns/rural areas. There's one inside a gigantic flagpole for a Veteran's Memorial (I think) in the Town Next Door. If that isn't an option, I like Mendelman's suggestion to consider transmission lines. I would also push to make them co-location compatible and that the applicant demostrate there are not towers available in the area already for co-locating instead.

It sounds like the residential development is small and pretty far away, so I'm not sure I'd sweat it all that much unless people go nuts in a public hearing for it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2006
    These are radio towers, not cell towers. Apparently, the corporation that will be using them is in town, and these towers will be like 2 miles away. Apparently much further away than that, and the cost goes up exponentially. I'm saying "apparently" a lot. I don't know if you can co-locate a radio tower with a cell tower??

Registered
    Jun 2002
    It would seem to me that these are a type of "Industrial" Use.

What does your Comprehensive Plan say about intended Future Land Use? Will the agriculture land always be agricultural, or will it most likely evolve to new Residential subdivision development - and thereby become incompatible?

It appears that locations along railroads, near elevated water tank locations, permanent land fill garbage disposal areas, sewage treatment lagoons, electric power transmission lines, substations, or other utility lines would also be acceptable sites.

Since this is a more regional type of use, it may be more appropriate to locate it in a similar county location, rather than in a city location.
    Last edited by Streck; 11 Jul 2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added: compatible with water tower locations

Registered
    Aug 2006
    The comp plan calls this the Urban Service Area- to remain agricultural in nature until such time as orderly city growth is required. We are a county, and these USA's are in the county on the fringe of cities. The problem is, they will eventually become residential...but perhaps in 20 years.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Apr 2011, 2:56 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Nov 2009, 9:34 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Oct 2008, 11:40 AM
  4. Effective Communication
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9