Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your (automotive) past loves [and hates]

Registered
    Feb 2004

Your (automotive) past loves [and hates]

Cars in many ways mirror our relationships with people; both can be attractive, high maintenance, dependable, quirky, have special talents/weaknesses, and many other shared qualities/characteristics.

Tell us about the various relationships you've had with cars throughout your life; the happy marriages, brief dalliances, the angry divorces, and everything in between.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    One of my favorites has to be my '79 AMC Jeep CJ-7. It was a piece of crap, but it could climb anything. We had many a good times out in the desert and I never rolled her over, although I was close a couple times. The only downfall, she liked to mark her territory and my wife was kind of annoyed at that.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My first car was a Jeep CJ-5. Everything I know about fixing cars I learned from this vehicle. It was barrels of fun to go off-roading in that machine and it was a great car to drive to the beach with the top off. But if something could go wrong mechanically it did. The good news was that this was from an era when cars were simpler things. There were no fuel injectors, chips, or digital displays. You could actually replace the carburetor or headlights yourself without having to disassemble half the vehicle. Having a nice high wheel base also made it simple to get under the car to do repairs.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    For a few years in college, I had a summer toy and it was a freaking animal.

It was an 1985 2-wheel drive s10 blazer that I dropped a built 350 4bbl that was in an older Camaro Z-28, 700R4 transmission, detroit locker rear end, and dual exhaust. I could run down the highway at 55 mph and the motor would be at an idle speed. I had to put traction bars on it because the back end was so light it was almost impossible to give it any throttle without the back tires breaking loose. I had to put dual electric fans in front of the radiator (out of a 4.3 s10) and a custom built shroud to get the engine to stay cool. I took it to a few car shows and a tech guy from GM said that the installation looked factory. It had classic 5-spoke Cragar SS rims, was black with chrome, and was lowered just enough to balance it out. I kept the original window tinting, sunroof, and most of the interior. I did put an aftermarket sound system in and to install additional gauges.

After a few years, I sold it to a guy to get a 4X4 because I was living 25 miles from school and there was no way to really drive this in the UP winters. He drove it for a summer and decised to pull the motor out and put it in a stock car and parted out the rest of it.

It was such a fun ride and while I did get pulled over several times with several warnings for street racing and speeding.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I am in love with my current fun vehicle -- a 1965 Chevy C-10, long bed, flair side, pickup truck. For a 50 year old vehicle with a little peeling paint, signal lights that don't always work, and a wiring leak that forces me to unplug the battery every time I'm parked for more than a half hour, I think it's my favorite vehicle that I've ever owned. And I like cars; I think I've owned close to 15 in my 22 years of driving.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner View post
    I am in love with my current fun vehicle -- a 1965 Chevy C-10, long bed, flair side, pickup truck. For a 50 year old vehicle with a little peeling paint, signal lights that don't always work, and a wiring leak that forces me to unplug the battery every time I'm parked for more than a half hour, I think it's my favorite vehicle that I've ever owned. And I like cars; I think I've owned close to 15 in my 22 years of driving.
    Statements like this give you high marks in the dating department. Forget looks and personality, she's got that, what's really important is that she understands the fun of driving an old POS truck (okay it's not a total POS but you get the idea). If I could get my wife to understand that I'd be in heaven, but no, I have to have a reliable car. We compromised, I have a Mustang.

Registered
    May 2006
    If you were a millennial and lived in New York I'd be all over that! We'd get Hipster cred rolling through Bushwick with a '65 Chevy truck. I hope its 3 on the tree!

I cant find girls who share my love of POS cars, especially here in Transit Dependent New York. One I am currently interested in is all like "why do you drive! I moved from Cali so I wouldn't have to!". Living in the burbs man, it sux.

Not that i'd get rid of my Subie if I lived in NYC proper anyway....

The only domestic vehicle I've ever owned was a used 1985 Ford F-150. It was a POS. At about 45MPH, the front end would wiggle like mad until you got above 50MPH. Sold it as quick as I could and the guy that bought it got it fixed. He LOVED the truck until someone ran a stop sign and totaled him out. He was literally in tears over the truck. Good riddance said I.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    If you were a millennial and lived in New York I'd be all over that! We'd get Hipster cred rolling through Bushwick with a '65 Chevy truck. I hope its 3 on the tree!

I cant find girls who share my love of POS cars, especially here in Transit Dependent New York. One I am currently interested in is all like "why do you drive! I moved from Cali so I wouldn't have to!". Living in the burbs man, it sux.

Not that i'd get rid of my Subie if I lived in NYC proper anyway....
    The guy before me changed it from the column to a 5 on the floor which I'm a little sad about. Three on the tree would have been so cool! But I can't complain about the last guy's work. He also moved the gas tank back to the bed, replaced the wood in the back with logs he milled from his own yard, and painted the interior a fantastic bright blue. Of course he also broke the signal lights when he put LED taillights in and I had to replace the starter on Day 3 of owning it. But hey, it's 50 years old. You can't ask for too much.

I think it's your location that's making it hard to find a car chick. Move upstate and I can find some for you, actually. It's the transit that's throwing you off!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I thought of another: when I was super little, my parents owned a huge monstrosity of a car that we called the Gray Ghost. It was one of those 70s beasts with fins that I would kill to drive now. (I wish my dad was around to get more details.) Anyway, the reason they called it the Ghost was because we would be sitting in the house, minding our own business with the keys all up on the key rack... when the parents would hear a noise. Open the door and they found the car had started itself in the driveway. This happened fairly often; I wonder if that's why they got rid of it.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I thought of another: when I was super little, my parents owned a huge monstrosity of a car that we called the Gray Ghost. It was one of those 70s beasts with fins that I would kill to drive now. (I wish my dad was around to get more details.) Anyway, the reason they called it the Ghost was because we would be sitting in the house, minding our own business with the keys all up on the key rack... when the parents would hear a noise. Open the door and they found the car had started itself in the driveway. This happened fairly often; I wonder if that's why they got rid of it.
    Off-topic:
    I found a great local-ish dealer here in NE OH that sources/sells good quality 'old' and 'older' original cars from the drier parts of the USA - http://www.actionautowholesale.com/

In particular checkout the 'Classic & Specialties' section.

This 1969 Dodge Monaco station wagon, for instance. I have a feeling this kind of car would be right up your alley.
    Last edited by mendelman; 11 Mar 2016 at 11:13 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    The first vehicle I ever "bought" myself. 1998 Jeep Wrangler.

It was rusty as all hell. At one point I took a screwdriver and knocked out some of the rust in the fenders. It left a fist sized hole in each fender you could reach through and touch the tires. I ended up painting some roof flashing black and screwing it in to cover the holes. It looked good enough. I took it upon myself one summer to add a 2" budget lift kit to it. Not much more than some new shocks and some rubber spacers that went on top of the springs. We tried it at the house but the rust stopped us from doing anything. I took it over to a buddy's place who had air tools. We worked on it for HOURS. Busted the rear shock bolt as soon as we started and I ended up limping it home with half the kit installed. It was awful.

I still miss that POS. I ended up getting rid of it for a 99 Cherokee. I needed something bigger and with actual glass windows. The Cherokee is nice, but it ain't no soft top Wrangler.

Registered
    May 2006
    I would love a 1972 Dodge Dart swinger coupe with a 3 on the tree. Drive it to Quebec City in the summer and Have a little paradise by the dashboard light with some jolie fille on the vinyl bench seats with an 8 Track playing.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Off-topic:
    I found a great local-ish dealer here in NE OH that sources/sells good quality 'old' and 'older' original cars from the drier parts of the USA - http://www.actionautowholesale.com/

In particular checkout the 'Classic & Specialties' section.

This 1969 Dodge Monaco station wagon, for instance. I have a feeling this kind of car would be right up you alley.
    YES, that's fantastic!! No need for an SUV when you can get your hands on that puppy!! I'd drive it!

[My SO and I find cars all the time and my favorite phrase is "I'd drive that". And contrary to popular belief, I wouldn't just drive anything. I have very discerning taste.

I'm also in love with this one -- http://www.actionautowholesale.com/1..._255061794.veh. I'll let you know if I'm heading to your neck of the woods to purchase something fun any time soon!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Since I finally figured out how to post photos successfully, I thought I'd resurrect this thread to show you my super cool truck...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Since I finally figured out how to post photos successfully, I thought I'd resurrect this thread to show you my super cool truck...

Super cool, and so are you to drive it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I've had plenty of vehicles but the only one I truly miss getting rid of was an '87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (for reference sake, I've also had Wagoneers from '85, '88, and '91). I bought it while on vacation in early 2001 after seeing it sitting in a TGIFriday's parking lot in Portland, ME and drove it back to NC the next day. It had low miles and the body was in pretty good shape for its age. It was super comfortable, great in any weather and any terrain, soooo much space, and got horrible mileage.

I drove it back and forth from NC to Long Island and Maine and Michigan many times and it never failed me but I ended up selling it in 2004 after I decided that Wranglers were the thing for me and the Grand Wagoneer suddenly needed a new suspension, power steering, was developing some electrical problems, etc. I regretted seeing it go almost immediately and have been kicking myself ever since.

I think 2017 might be the year I actually look for replacement (or possibly a similar era Toyota Land Cruiser).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I think 2017 might be the year I actually look for replacement (or possibly a similar era Toyota Land Cruiser).
    Good luck! I've been looking for a reasonable replacement for my XJ (Cherokee for those non-Jeep folks) for a few years and nothing comes close to having the same wide open cargo room. I've been interested in the FJ Cruiser, but those things (well really any Toyota) hold their resale value so well, and the FJ Cruiser has been discontinued in the US. A Land Cruiser would be nice, but I can't get over the fact that I'd be paying around 12k for a vehicle with 170k+ miles on it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Good luck! I've been looking for a reasonable replacement for my XJ (Cherokee for those non-Jeep folks) for a few years and nothing comes close to having the same wide open cargo room. I've been interested in the FJ Cruiser, but those things (well really any Toyota) hold their resale value so well, and the FJ Cruiser has been discontinued in the US. A Land Cruiser would be nice, but I can't get over the fact that I'd be paying around 12k for a vehicle with 170k+ miles on it.
    When I upgraded from my 2-door JK to a 4-door a couple of years ago, I was tempted to go with the FJ Cruiser instead as I always liked how they look and they are supposedly pretty capable off-road. I had never actually been in one though so I headed to the dealership to test drive one and while it was super comfortable and had a very nice interior the blind spots were absolutely awful and there was basically no wiggle room on the price with Toyota so I ended up going with the Rubicon.

I'm also eagerly waiting for the final design of the new Grand Wagoneers to be released (hopefully in 2017 with production late in the year or early 2018) because I might just hold out for one of those if I like the design enough. However, based on a bunch of the camouflaged FCA SUVs I've seen driving around these parts (I live/work just a couple of miles from their HQ and tech center) I'm not getting my hopes up. I have a feeling it's going to end up being basically just an upcharged trim package on a Durango or Citadel or whatever they call it now.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Then get this. It's got a ton of cubic cargo space, but relatively limited off-roading capability.

It's still awesome though.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Then get this. It's got a ton of cubic cargo space, but relatively limited off-roading capability.

And only $8995! What a bargain!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    and for 84 easy payments of $149 it can be yours.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Actually, it is a pretty good price, given the extremely low survival rate for these cars, especially in such good original condition.

Demo derbies in the 1970s and 1980s likely killed the vast majority of supply.

I think it's super cool, but I love station wagons, so....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Actually, it is a pretty good price, given the extremely low survival rate for these cars, especially in such good original condition.

Demo derbies in the 1970s and 1980s likely killed the vast majority of supply.

I think it's super cool, but I love station wagons, so....
    That was my mom's wagon battleship, but ours was in the Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park trim. Same color, same woodgrain sticker paneling. Back to the time warp again.

(think of a cross between the Ford shown here & the Griswold's station wagon to WallyWorld)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm sure I've mentioned my first vehicular love on other threads... the 1957 MGA I drove in high school. It stranded me more times than I care to count, but damn did I look good on the side of the road!

I have to admit to having a modern romance with a 2014 VW Golf. I really like the car. Unfortunately, so does my wife. When her Chevy HHR died, we went car shopping for her. In the course of events, she concluded that she would prefer to just drive my car. It pained me, but I threw her the keys.

I'm now driving a 2016 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab with the Duramax Turbo Diesel. I had been wanting something to do some light off road, and this fits the bill with its locking differential & torque. I hadn't planned on a fancy truck, but I got it for a steal with only 1,500 GM Corporate miles on it. I'm excited because it gives me the ability to outfit my motorcycle for off-road and carry it in the bed of the truck (most of the good places for off-road/fire trail riding around me are 100+ miles away). In addition, I've been wanting to restore an old travel trailer.

I'm also interested in getting back into 1960s/70s era British roadsters. I'd like to snag a chrome bumper MGB or a Triumph... I lean toward the MG simply because I already know their quirks to some extent. I'm also interested in classic Porsches, but that will require dropping more coin and I have a learning curve on their engines/systems. If I'm going to ever do that, then I need a larger garage.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Everyone loves melons
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 04 Jul 2013, 1:46 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Jan 2011, 3:38 PM
  3. Automotive GPS
    Information Technology
    Replies: 1