Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING December birthday thread

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

The NEVERENDING December birthday thread

Dec 10 here.

My mama made a big holiday happen for the family a couple weeks later, with most of the activity not happening until the 11th. (In fact we usually put the tree up somewhere during the week of the 20th, several times on Christmas Eve day.)

For my 10th birthday my loving sibs gave me some carefully-selected styrofoam balls and other craft items. I peeked, and found a tag. Use these to make Christmas ornaments. 1
    Another year my purchased cake 2 had a decorated tree on it.
    I endured several "joint" gifts "since Christmas is so close." Hey, I want MY OWN birthday! Dec 25th is a repurposed Pagan construct...aw heck, go look it up.

Years too late I discovered the "half birthday" concept. This is where you honor your deprived offspring with a wacky party in June; a half-shaped cake, an outdoor party, fun "half" theme ideas. Little kids track their ages in months, so this fits right in.

More recently I've fielded oddball queries. "Should I send your birthday stuff now, or do you want to wait until you arrive for Christmas?" Gee, what do you think? How about we celebrate your early Feb anniversary on Mardi Gras since it'll be more convenient?!?

This year I'm playing a band concert on the 11th, and likely going to the local community theatre on the 10th. It's a Wonderful Life is a live musical, I have never seen all of the movie ("I wanna watch football"), and it seems like a fitting, somewhat schizzo thing to do...just like a December b-day.

Detroit suppliers, RIP:
    1 Frank's Nursery & Crafts
    2 Awrey's bakery, with the chopped nuts on the outsides of the cake

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Special condolences go out to jsk1983 for having a birthday on Christmas day. Look at the bright side at least no one probably ever forgot to get you a gift .

Quote Originally posted by veloise
    Detroit suppliers, RIP:
    1 Frank's Nursery & Crafts
    One of the few stores I was truly sorry to see go out of business.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My mom's birthday is Dec. 13th. I never remember her having an issue with a December birthday.

Typically we don't/didn't decorate until after her birthday but that wasn't a hard & fast rule.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Arweys is still around. You can buy a Bill Knapp cake made at Arweys as well as their Donut fingers, the long john, the cakes too. It is no longer run by the family though.

I can't see what the big deal is about December brithdays, just be thankful you've lived to see the next one! My mother's birthday is the day before mine and I never had a birthday of my own. I will dread the day that it happens.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

December birthday thread

My birthday is December 8th. I have never actually found a female birthday twin. I was the only girl born among a dozen boys at the hospital that day and any time someone says "I know someone who was born that day" it is always a male. How odd.

My birthday falls too close to the holiday season and I do wind up getting a whole slew of gifts all at once. I used to try to get my half birthday celebrated in June but no one listened. At least now my wedding anniversary falls in July so I don't have to wait an entire year to celebrate.

Registered
    May 2005
    I wonder what Jesus thinks about having a December birthday?? It must really piss him off.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I wonder what Jesus thinks about having a December birthday?? It must really piss him off.
    End of September, according to this readily-googled source:
    http://www.ucg.org/booklets/hh/jcnotborndec25.asp

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    End of September, according to this readily-googled source:
    http://www.ucg.org/booklets/hh/jcnotborndec25.asp
    Then Jesus must be even more ticked off that he can't celebrate his birthday on its actual day. Instead, he's forced to celebrate with all you December people. Fist the Jews turn on him, then this. What's next!?

Mom would have been 82 today. Early December birthdays, I presume, are probably less likely to get the Birth-mas shaft. Mom never mentioned it, at least.

A girlfriend from college has her birthday tomorrow. I wonder if she thinks about me in her wildest dreams.

My SIL's birthday is the 14th -- I always forget to send her a card.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Mom would have been 82 today. Early December birthdays, I presume, are probably less likely to get the Birth-mas shaft. Mom never mentioned it, at least.
    ...My SIL's birthday is the 14th -- I always forget to send her a card.
    Tick her off with one of those gushy On Your December Birthday cards with the holly and sparkles.

Folks born in the 20's likely didn't experience the creeping Christmasization that we have in the 21st C. (When I was in high school, a neighbor would throw the switch on his holiday lights every Thanksgiving night, and we'd laugh at him for jumping the gun. Now it's barely Halloween before the onslaught begins.)

the Birth-mas shaft, love it!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Boss - Dec. 1
    Brother - Dec. 5*
    Good Friends Kid (same age as my kid) - Dec. 6
    SIL - Dec. 26*
    Neice - Dec 31*

*same family
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    My sister-in-law's is on Dec. 17. We usually try to make sure she gets here gifts and everything by that day and not on Christmas. Things used to be different though when they were just dating, and she would get all her presents from us (b-day and Christmas) all at once at some point in the week before Christmas.

My one friend's is on Dec. 26 and his longtime girlfriend's is on Dec. 24. I don't know what they do for family gifts and the like, but what I do know that sucks for them is that they usually don't get to party with friends, since everyone is away for winter break.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    December 12th here.

My mom never decorated until after my birthday was celebrated. Good mom.

I hate when people say oh here is you Christmas and birthday gift. Usually my retort is "which would you like: a Christmas or a birthday gift next year?"

I will dig the tree out of the storage unit on the 13th.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by julkins08 View post
    My birthday is December 8th. I have never actually found a female birthday twin.
    Mrs. Otis was born on December 8th. And lived in your own Vienna, VA for many years.

Me, mine is December 4th. And yes, I often got one present fpr birthday and Christmas. As a kid I felt ripped off. However, as an adult, I feel ripped off.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Mrs. Otis was born on December 8th. And lived in your own Vienna, VA for many years.

Me, mine is December 4th. And yes, I often got one present fpr birthday and Christmas. As a kid I felt ripped off. However, as an adult, I feel ripped off.
    I feel your pain Otis. Mine is also December 4th. And i too got ripped off, but only after i turned about 12 or so because i started asking for "big ticket" gifts like stereos and video game system. Wow, i do sound young don't i?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Maister either has a good memory or looked me up to find out I have xmas birthday. People always ask if I get shafted on gifts and the answer is perhaps a little bit but its no big deal. I could care less if my birthdays on Christmas. Its probably a good fit for me since I don't like to be the center of attention. My paternal grandmother also had a christmas birthday. A large number of the rest of my family seems to all have been born in May which is a bit annoying, especially from a financial perspective. My younger brother was born two weeks after me in January and I have a nephew with a birthday two days later.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    ... My younger brother was born two weeks after me in January and I have a nephew with a birthday two days later.
    Astute relatives can pick stuff up half price for January b-days.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    My S I L is on Dec 26 but that's OK since she is a beeeoooootch!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My MIL's birthday is December 29...if we miss the in-laws on Christmas (as we do every other year) then we usually swing by their house for her birthday dinner (happy birthday, and, oh, by the way, here are your Christmas presents as well...).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I enjoyed my early Dec birthday. Most always got money, which I turned around for Christmas presents.

Speaking of birthday twins (julkins). I was swithced at birth with a girl, but the nurses caught it within a couple of hours. I wonder if it would have been noticed if we were the same sex. Would have been interesting, that family was exceptionally wealthy.

Registered
    May 2004

Bump

Early warning for greetings coming up to our SS goddess and the Panhandle.

insert gripe about heavy lifting here

Registered
    May 2004

This just in

The birchris cake!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    At least here in Cyburbia you get your very own birthday greeting & wishes thread.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Someone just sent me one of those electronic greeting cards. A bear under a holiday conifer, toys, lights, elves, toy trails, angels.... The music's nice (one of the Nutcracker themes).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a December birthday. So does my dad. And my brother. When I was a kid, my mom celebrated all three birthdays during Thanksgiving. Big rip-off!

Anyway, now I am married. A couple of years ago, my mother-in-law got me a birthday cake from the local upscale bakery. Take it from me, these are truly out-of-the-world cakes! Deeee-lish! The request was for a “holly cake,” complete with green leaves and red ribbon decorations.

But something got lost in translation.

Instead, when the mother-in-law picked up the cake, it turned out to be a “holy cake” complete with crosses and a religious theme. I am not what you would call religious. So it was actually a funny cake. We all had a fun night laughing at how preposterous the situation was. We no longer buy cakes from this bakery. Because of this, Cake Wrecks is one of my favorite blogs. http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 513
    Last post: 12 Sep 2014, 2:09 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  3. The NEVERENDING FML thread