Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Scary plants

Registered
    Feb 2004

Scary plants

The Fear of the Year TM is that Giant Hogweed has recently made its way into Michigan.

This noxious invasive species, can cause blindness and acid-like burns if one merely touches the plant. The folks with the DNR have been trying to systematically eradicate it wherever it is found and have to wear hazmat suits conducting its removal. I find it strange that we heard next to nothing about this killer plant until it shows up. New York has been dealing with it for years.

Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The Fear of the Year TM is that Giant Hogweed has recently made its way into Michigan.

This noxious invasive species, can cause blindness and acid-like burns if one merely touches the plant. The folks with the DNR have been trying to systematically eradicate it wherever it is found and have to wear hazmat suits conducting its removal. I find it strange that we heard next to nothing about this killer plant until it shows up. New York has been dealing with it for years.
    Sounds like super poison ivy.

Makes me think of Audrey II.....
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Sounds like super poison ivy.

Makes me think of Audrey II.....
    Feed me Seymour!

I bet giant hogweed would easily beat out any competition in the Scariest Plant Contest. Kudzu? Sure, it chokes out just about every other plant on earth, but it's harmless to people. Poison ivy? nothing more than a week or two of itchy rash to contend with. Ragweed? watery eyes and runny nose hardly qualifies as a credible threat.

I suppose if there was a plant that shot pellets of poison at passers by it might be scarier, but blindness from merely brushing past the plant? Now that's scary!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Feed me Seymour!

I bet giant hogweed would easily beat out any competition in the Scariest Plant Contest. Kudzu? Sure, it chokes out just about every other plant on earth, but it's harmless to people. Poison ivy? nothing more than a week or two of itchy rash to contend with. Ragweed? watery eyes and runny nose hardly qualifies as a credible threat.

I suppose if there was a plant that shot pellets of poison at passers by it might be scarier, but blindness from merely brushing past the plant? Now that's scary!
    Now that is SCARY

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Just think of all the code enforcement people who have to walk into these weed filled jungles that surround people's houses. Maister, has the BOSS issued you guys hazmat suits yet?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Just think of all the code enforcement people who have to walk into these weed filled jungles that surround people's houses. Maister, has the BOSS issued you guys hazmat suits yet?
    Not yet. And you remember who the departmental plant identification expert is, right? So guess who gets to walk point when infiltrating all those jungles....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Not yet. And you remember who the departmental plant identification expert is, right? So guess who gets to walk point when infiltrating all those jungles....
    Well, I am sure that Ms. Cash will sleep better at night knowing that you are on the case.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Big problem:
    People who think it's an attractive shrub and encourage its growth.

Somebody "shaped" this giant flowered hogweed into a "centerpiece".

Registered
    May 2005
    I recently became aware of the Lawyer Vine (also called the Wait-a-While Vine) in Australia. They are rainforest plants that hang long tendrils over paths. The tendrils have barbed spines that can trap animals and shred flesh. Not easy to get out of apparently. Especially if you don’t have opposable thumbs.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

I'm normally not an advocate of such things, but the plant seems ripe for eradication via flame thrower.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2007

Nope, nope, nope, kill that plant with fire!

Gotta love The Oatmeal

Registered
    Oct 2001
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2002
    From that picture it looks like Queen's Anne Lace. I'd probably be the one to pick it

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    From that picture it looks like Queen's Anne Lace. I'd probably be the one to pick it
    Perhaps garlic mustard.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

Queen Anne's Lace and Giant Hogweed are in THE SAME PLANT FAMILY!! :eek:

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    SW MI Planner, that was a particularly astute observation. It led me to do just a little research......
    Conclusion: Giant Hogweed and Queen Anne's Lace are in the same plant family!

The plant family is Apiaceae. (JNA's link helped.)
    More disturbing stuff about the Apiaceae:
    Many members of the family will be found in the kitchen, e.g., Daucus carota (carrot), Pastinaca sativa (parsnip), Apium graveolens (celery), Carurn (caraway), Anethum (dill), Coriandrum (coriander), Cuminum (cumin), and Pimpinella (anise). A few species are used in medicine, but the most famous non-food member of the family is poison hemlock, Conium maculatum. It was this that was used to execute Socrates.
    It does not take much to cause death. Around 1985, three campers in southern Idaho died because they mistook poison hemlock for Queen Anne's lace, which is the same species as the domesticated carrot. Both are white-flowered members of the Apiaceae.
    Most members of the Apiaceae are promiscuous. This means that they can be pollinated by almost any critter that can walk over the surface of the inflorescence.
    Source:http://herbarium.usu.edu/taxa/apiaceae.htm

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    BUMP in the news

Don't touch this plant; you could go blind
    http://www.indystar.com/story/life/h...lind/31149751/

Watch out! This plant can cause permanent blindness
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7RFmIz9J8I
    Published on Aug 5, 2015

More news websites that picked up the story:
    https://news.google.com/news/story?n...IVyKYeCh2_dwub

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    BUMP in the news

Invasive plant that causes 3rd-degree burns, permanent blindness discovered in Virginia
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/0...-virginia.html

Safety Alert on FB https://www.facebook.com/iwcva/posts/1889433494410724
    Isle of Wight County Virginia is feeling concerned.
    June 13 at 7:34am
    27,813 Shares 857 Comments

Poster - https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_fo...oster18x24.pdf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Wood pellet fuel plants
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 06 Oct 2010, 10:08 PM
  2. Biodiesel plants in Pennsylvania
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3