Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: unusual/unclear job titles

Feb 2004
    on my 15 minute break

unusual/unclear job titles

I saw a suggested linkedin connection for a 'personal banker' . What the heck is a personal banker and how do they differ from a regular banker? Do they only have one client? Any other job titles you've encountered that do not spell out clearly what's involved, or are even deceptive?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Aug 2005
    in a meeting
    innovation officer

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Jun 2003
    at the neighboring pub
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    innovation officer

Austin has an entire innovation department.

If you need a department, or even individual, assigned to "innovate," it means your other hiring practices suck and you aren't getting value-add people into positions to enact changes.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

I found out what it meant the hard way - heart surgery - and how frustrating they are. My physician doesn't have admitting privileges to see me while I was hospitalized after the surgery. Since she couldn't see me, they assigned me a 'Hospitalist'. This dude never spoke to me, never visited me that I can recall, and prescribed a device for my sleep apnea. Once I no longer needed the device, I called his office to get permission to stop using it and the company renting it to me to come get it. They never, ever returned my calls. I was so pissed because the device company wouldn't take it away without the scrip. I finally found a nurse that said 'screw it' and wrote the scrip so I could get rid of it.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Unusual travel souvenir
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 25 Jul 2014, 4:43 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Dec 2011, 1:20 PM
  3. Unusual Units of Measure
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 51